SiouxSports.com Forum

The Road to Pittsburgh - No pairwise this year.

Fader

1 hour ago, GoalieMask said:

New College Hockey News Power 16 Rankings

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/power16.php

Forecast for Regionals: 

Midwest:  North Dakota (1) vs. American Int'l   /  Michigan (6) vs. Minnesota-Duluth

West:  Minnesota (2) vs. Clarkson / St. Cloud State (7) vs. Quinnipiac

N'East: Boston College (3) vs. Bowling Green / Boston (8) vs. Omaha

East: Wisconsin (4) vs. UConn / Minnesota St. (5) vs. UMass

Still waiting for more from NCAA re: Worchester replacement - have to think the delay strongly suggests a change to regional sites or sending all 16 to Pittsburgh.  The Penguins are on the road March 29-April 11. 

Yeah, I'm in the boat that believes they end up in a Pod somewhere.  Hopefully it is in a location that allows for the parents of the players to watch their kids play in person, not sure with what Pennsylvania currently allows.  

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Yeah, I'm in the boat that believes they end up in a Pod somewhere.  Hopefully it is in a location that allows for the parents of the players to watch their kids play in person, not sure with what Pennsylvania currently allows.  

Pennsylvania's rule is "no more than 500" for indoor gatherings

USCHO.com weekly podcast today had NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Committee Chair Mike Kemp on for an interview today. 

*NCAA Hockey regional sites and dates remain as scheduled - Pittsburgh still hosting Frozen Four

*Hopeful fans are allowed - up to 25% capacity  (local jurisdictions my cause adjustments) - this includes Pittsburgh Frozen Four  (that would be about 4,500 to 5,000 fans) 

*4th Regional site will be named soon, within "days" - will remain out east

*Selection criteria/ specifics to be shared within "days" 

*If possible, bussing to locales for Regionals will be ideal but not required.  Mentioned that Loveland Regional (especially with DU, CC, Air Force not looking good for auto-bid) will require flights for all who participate there.  

*One team per conference will get auto-bid (either reg. season champ or tournament champ - that is up to each conference)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cberkas said:

The six criteria

• Win/Loss Record
  • Strength of Schedule
  • Head-to-Head Results
  • Results vs. Common Opponents
  • Quality Wins
  • Home/Away Weighting  

Better stock up on cigars and scotch; some back room dealing about to go down.;)

• Upvote 1

The secret weapon for NCHC teams has been the incredible grind of the regular season.  You won't see anything in the NCAA tournament better or tougher or tighter checking than you get multiple times each year.  However, has the East/West split in the NCHC diluted UND's preparation this year?  CC's not good, Denver seems good but doesn't win much, and we just don't know about Omaha.  A tough game or two against SCSU or Duluth, or even a grinding WMU, in the NCHC playoffs, even if it doesn't go well, might be a helpful reminder for UND of what it's like to play a tight-checking game before the NCAA tournament.

• Upvote 1

https://seamoresports.com/2021/02/21/bracketology-version-one-respecting-atlantic-hockey-and-the-wcha/

In which we advocate for AIC and Army to get at large bids, along with LSSU. Army is the hottest team in the country right now, and earns the Dave Hakstol Second Half success award. Both of them would make UND's life interesting, and Eric Lang has won a game in Fargo before. 

On 2/16/2021 at 4:34 PM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

YouTube recommends this to me semi regularly knowing I'll always click on it.

I go to a handful of AF home games each season so they have a soft spot in my heart. Definitely cool seeing what they’ve accomplished over the years given some of the recruiting hurdles they face year in and year out. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I go to a handful of AF home games each season so they have a soft spot in my heart. Definitely cool seeing what they’ve accomplished over the years given some of the recruiting hurdles they face year in and year out. 

Attending a game against Army at the academy is on my bucket list. A good friend lives in Springs so it'll happen eventually.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Attending a game against Army at the academy is on my bucket list. A good friend lives in Springs so it'll happen eventually.

A couple of years ago, I got to go to the AF/Army football game Saturday afternoon and the AF/Army hockey game that night. While it didn’t work out too well for the Cadets that weekend, it was still a really fun weekend. 

12 hours ago, Godsmack said:

A couple of years ago, I got to go to the AF/Army football game Saturday afternoon and the AF/Army hockey game that night. While it didn’t work out too well for the Cadets that weekend, it was still a really fun weekend. 

Would love to see UND do something like this with Maine or New Hampshire.   

• Like 1

College Hockey News Top 16 remains relatively unchanged - no love for Army despite their hot streak.  But I get it, i wouldn't put two teams in the field from that conference.  

Here is this week's projection - based on the bus vs. plane mentality that the NCAA seems to really be standing behind, likely resulting in some west teams staying west and east teams staying east.  Conference matchups are often avoided but that may not be feasible this year as bracket integrity also needs to factor in.  Expect some hot takes on March 20th. 

Midwest (Fargo)   North Dakota (1) vs. American International / St. Cloud St. vs. Minnesota-Duluth

West (Loveland)  Minnesota (2) vs. Clarkson / Michigan vs. Omaha 

Northeast (Albany)   Minnesota St. (4) vs. Bowling Green / Wisconsin vs. UMass

East (Bridgeport)  Boston College (3) vs. UConn / Boston vs. Quinnipiac 

32 minutes ago, GoalieMask said:

College Hockey News Top 16 remains relatively unchanged - no love for Army despite their hot streak.  But I get it, i wouldn't put two teams in the field from that conference.  

Here is this week's projection - based on the bus vs. plane mentality that the NCAA seems to really be standing behind, likely resulting in some west teams staying west and east teams staying east.  Conference matchups are often avoided but that may not be feasible this year as bracket integrity also needs to factor in.  Expect some hot takes on March 20th. 

Midwest (Fargo)   North Dakota (1) vs. American International / St. Cloud St. vs. Minnesota-Duluth

SCSU and Duloot cant play first round

42 minutes ago, GoalieMask said:

Bracket integrity can be manipulated this year because you don't actually know with absolute certainty what the rankings are ahead of time. I have always thought they put too much emphasis on seed lines in the past as well. I think that if you can flip #9 and #12 around for attendance or to avoid conference matchups you shouldn't have an issue flipping #8 and #10 around for the same reasons.