SiouxSports.com Forum

The Road to Pittsburgh - No pairwise this year.

Fader

1 hour ago, iluvdebbies said:

SCSU and Duloot cant play first round

yes, standard rule that they adhere to annually - no guarantees anything is normal this year and no one on the committee has gone so far as to say that conferences won't meet in the first round. 

27 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

So what if Duluth loses one or both games to St. Cloud? Would that put them in the position of having to win the frozen Faceoff to get in? 

If they lose their last two, remember they have lost two to Western and one to CC recently, they would have to win the NCHC tourney to get in. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/29/2021 at 8:29 AM, siouxfan512 said:

Pretty sad when it is all said and done that guys like Kawaguchi, Adam, MM, Kierstad, etc. will only get to play in one NCAA tourney (unless anyone comes back for an extra year). 2 down year, then Covid, and here we are. Hope they can make the most of it and hang number 9!

Would Jamernik get that extra year also being he came in at Christmas?

10 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I don't think they would have such a lousy record had Cruikshank been able to play all season. And they are young. Maybe they're a bottom third team but not one of the worst in the country.

CC is night and day depending on if Cruikshank is or is not in the lineup. Single elimination makes them very dangerous with. 

11 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Yah and they lost two to CC and they’re one of the worst teams in the country. 

I would put CC ahead of these teams--

Canisius, RIT, Sacred Heart, Merceyhurst, Bentley, Niagara, Air Force, Holy Cross, Ohio State, Michigan State, Colgate, St. Lawrence, Merrimack, UNH, Vermont, Maine, Miami, NMU, Huntsville, Ferris State, LIU, and Arizona State and I would question whether the record of teams like Army and RMU would look any better if they played CC's schedule.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I would put CC ahead of these teams--

Canisius, RIT, Sacred Heart, Merceyhurst, Bentley, Niagara, Air Force, Holy Cross, Ohio State, Michigan State, Colgate, St. Lawrence, Merrimack, UNH, Vermont, Maine, Miami, NMU, Huntsville, Ferris State, LIU, and Arizona State and I would question whether the record of teams like Army and RMU would look any better if they played CC's schedule.

Perhaps but I’ve watched almost as many CC games as I have UND games and you can really tell the difference in talent between the top half teams in the conference and CC. 

With the emphasis on limiting flights this year, they may not care as much about things like intraconference matchups.  The conference playoffs may move some teams around, but I think Fargo may look like this:

1.  UND

2. MN, Mankato, Duluth or SC

3. Duluth or SC

4. Bemidji

6 minutes ago, jk said:

With the emphasis on limiting flights this year, they may not care as much about things like intraconference matchups.  The conference playoffs may move some teams around, but I think Fargo may look like this:

1.  UND

2. MN, Mankato, Duluth or SC

3. Duluth or SC

4. Bemidji

MN and Mankato are likely 1 seeds right now.

I get that, but if Wisconsin wins the Big 10, they may jump MN and give the committee the chance to put MN there.  If Mankato fails to win the WCHA playoffs, they could slide to a two seed as well.  If they both stay one seeds, then I think they put the higher finisher of Duluth or SC in that spot.

On 3/4/2021 at 3:59 PM, cberkas said:

He's not really going out on a limb. There's no reason AHA should have more than one bid.

This was before OMAHA beat UND. 

Jayson’s field this week:

Atlantic Hockey: AIC, Army
Big 10: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan
ECAC: Quinnipiac, Clarkson
Hockey East: Boston College, Boston University, Massachusetts
NCHC: North Dakota, St Cloud, Minnesota-Duluth
WCHA: Minnesota St, Lake Superior, Bowling Green

40 minutes ago, Goon said:

He's not really going out on a limb. There's no reason AHA should have more than one bid.

This was before OMAHA beat UND. 

Jayson’s field this week:

Atlantic Hockey: AIC, Army
Big 10: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan
ECAC: Quinnipiac, Clarkson
Hockey East: Boston College, Boston University, Massachusetts
NCHC: North Dakota, St Cloud, Minnesota-Duluth
WCHA: Minnesota St, Lake Superior, Bowling Green

Either Miami or CC would beat Army in best of three. Not to mention every team in the NCHC, BIG or almost every other conference besides the Atlantic.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

Latest CHN article has UND, MN, SCSU, and Bowling Green in Fargo. Gonna have to play tough teams, and I'm glad we stay away from Duluth if that holds. 

His CHN regionals are way off balanced. The East regionals are cakewalks and the West regionals are stacked. I realize they want to limit flight travel but you can’t have 6-7 of the top 10 teams in the 8 West spots and only 3-4 of the top 10 teams in the 8 East spots. 

12 hours ago, brianvf said:

His CHN regionals are way off balanced. The East regionals are cakewalks and the West regionals are stacked. I realize they want to limit flight travel but you can’t have 6-7 of the top 10 teams in the 8 West spots and only 3-4 of the top 10 teams in the 8 East spots. 

They are off balanced, but the NCAA has asked the Selection Committee to reduce flights.   So normally the #1 seed gets the #16 seed.  This year, I think they settle for "band level" seeding (#1-#4 play #13-#16) in order to minimize travel.

Yeah I think we're getting four Western teams in the Fargo regional. 

I found the interview with Mike Kemp informative:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2021/02/19_QA-With--NCAA-Committee.php