SiouxSports.com Forum

The Road to Pittsburgh - No pairwise this year.

Fader

Pretty sad when it is all said and done that guys like Kawaguchi, Adam, MM, Kierstad, etc. will only get to play in one NCAA tourney (unless anyone comes back for an extra year). 2 down year, then Covid, and here we are. Hope they can make the most of it and hang number 9!

• Like 1

Not having a pairwise will be a death blow for a school like Denver.  Depending on how much the NC$$ cares about putting together a decent selection committee.  In years past strength of schedule could save an NCHC team that played a difficult schedule but were saved by SOS and got in.  Even if they right the ship and get to 12 -14 wins they'll have at least 10 losses likely which in the past may have been okay but not this year.  

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Stogies and scotch? Can I be on the committee?

Are you a balding/bald, slightly paunchy, curmudgeonly old white guy who pontificates incessantly about poor officiating (and does nothing about it) and the size of goalie pads today? If so, you have a chance to be on the committee as historically that's the demographic. 

Oh, and you need to know the actual location and keypad code of the meeting room. Your only hint is: See my location at the left of this post. If you don't know, you don't know. Sorry. 

PS - It's Cohibas and Macallan this year since we haven't met in a while. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

The NCAA has determined that scotch and cigars represent oppressive patriarchy thus must be banned.  So will the use of binary pronouns.  As Math and Statistics are also inherently racist, no quantifiable metrics shall be used in determining the field.  Also the committee shall not consist of college hockey experts, coaches or ADs; that would not achieve the desired diversity and would be a threat to democracy.  It has thus been decided that a popular vote in the states of NY, CA, TX, FL, PA, and Ohio shall determine the field.  

*On a whim, the criteria that Pennsylvania has set for counting and administering their vote may be ignored.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

The NCAA has determined that scotch and cigars represent oppressive patriarchy thus must be banned.  So will the use of binary pronouns.  As Math and Statistics are also inherently racist, no quantifiable metrics shall be used in determining the field.  Also the committee shall not consist of college hockey experts, coaches or ADs; that would not achieve the desired diversity and would be a threat to democracy.  It has thus been decided that a popular vote in the states of NY, CA, TX, FL, PA, and Ohio shall determine the field.  

Great, this is how all those Pac-12 teams will get in ahead of us. :lol:

18 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

How'd you get the NCAA press release before it went out officially? Is that you Mark Emmert? :D 

On 1/29/2021 at 9:48 AM, Wilbur said:

Not having a pairwise will be a death blow for a school like Denver.  Depending on how much the NC$$ cares about putting together a decent selection committee.  In years past strength of schedule could save an NCHC team that played a difficult schedule but were saved by SOS and got in.  Even if they right the ship and get to 12 -14 wins they'll have at least 10 losses likely which in the past may have been okay but not this year.  

It's going to be interesting.

There will probably be 10-11 selections that will be a piece of cake for the committee, it'll just be a matter of ranking them.  Teams like UND, BC, Minnesota, UMD, the best ECAC team, the best AHA team, and a couple of others like SCSU or Omaha, Bowling Green, UMASS, will be in with no problem.

The crazy part will be those last 3-4 teams, and Denver figures to fall into that discussion.  Is a 13-11 DU team better or worse than say BSU or Lowell or someone?  I think so, but what will the committee think.

32 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

It's going to be interesting.

There will probably be 10-11 selections that will be a piece of cake for the committee, it'll just be a matter of ranking them.  Teams like UND, BC, Minnesota, UMD, the best ECAC team, the best AHA team, and a couple of others like SCSU or Omaha, Bowling Green, UMASS, will be in with no problem.

The crazy part will be those last 3-4 teams, and Denver figures to fall into that discussion.  Is a 13-11 DU team better or worse than say BSU or Lowell or someone?  I think so, but what will the committee think.

A team like AIC is a near lock this year as you really can't throw out a team with nearly 20 wins in a year like this. So, if they don't win their conference tourney, there goes another spot. DU and Lowell are in a tough spot.

My guess:

Top two finishers from NCHC west quad -- Expect UND and UNO
Top two finishers from NCHC east quad -- Expect UMD and SCSU
Top three B1G finishers -- Expect UMn, UMi, < UW or NDU or PSU > 
Top three HEA finishers -- Expect BC, BU, UMass
Top two WCHA finishers -- Expect MSU-Mankato and BGSU

There's 12. 

I'd think the top of AH goes -- Expect AIC. 

There's 13. 

Now you have three slots for:
MTU, Robert Morris, Denver, Clarkson, Providence, Bemidji, Q'pac, Lowell, and teams mentioned above who don't get in above. 

• Upvote 1

I think DU could play with anyone. As a rival, I don’t want them in bc that’s a team that could end your tournament.  As a fan, I think/hope they get in. 

I always like to see a strong conference showing. Plus sometimes can benefit by knocking off a tough team. 

On 1/29/2021 at 9:54 AM, yzerman19 said:

Please don't leave out Illinois and New Jersey.

36 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

I think DU could play with anyone. As a rival, I don’t want them in bc that’s a team that could end your tournament.  As a fan, I think/hope they get in. 

I always like to see a strong conference showing. Plus sometimes can benefit by knocking off a tough team. 

I was nervous as hell last year that UND would end up in Colorado and end up playing Denver in that regional.  We would of likely had more fans in attendance than they would have, but in the one and done format they are scary as hell.

Denver would be a great team for BC or Minnesota to open with this year if they get in.  

• Upvote 2

You need to play 13 games to qualify for the NCAA Tournament. So lets start with teams with winning records and go from there.

AHA

AIC and Robert Morris

ECAC

Clarkson and Quinnipiac

WCHA

Mankato (still needs 1 game) and BGSU and Michigan Tech

Hockey East

BC and UMass

B1G

Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan

NCHC

North Dakota, St. Cloud, Duluth, and Omaha

• Upvote 1

I'm going by the CHN Top 16 power rankings, which I really think are close to what the committee will do (applying strengths of leagues/eye-test, etc.).  I also think they will try to regionalize when they can to keep travel in mind.  Not "pure" but what is in 2020/2021?  This means absolutely nothing but it's a bit fun to see where things might play out...

West: 

Minnesota vs American International

Wisconsin vs. Minnesota-Duluth

Midwest:

North Dakota vs. Bemidji State

Bowling Green vs. Omaha

Northeast

Boston College vs. Clarkson

Minnesota St vs. Quinnipiac

East

Michigan vs. U-Mass

St. Cloud St. vs Boston U

4 hours ago, GoalieMask said:

I'm going by the CHN Top 16 power rankings, which I really think are close to what the committee will do (applying strengths of leagues/eye-test, etc.).  I also think they will try to regionalize when they can to keep travel in mind.  Not "pure" but what is in 2020/2021?  This means absolutely nothing but it's a bit fun to see where things might play out...

West: 

Minnesota vs American International

Wisconsin vs. Minnesota-Duluth

Midwest:

North Dakota vs. Bemidji State

Bowling Green vs. Omaha

Northeast

Boston College vs. Clarkson

Minnesota St vs. Quinnipiac

East

Michigan vs. U-Mass

St. Cloud St. vs Boston U