SiouxSports.com Forum

The Road to Pittsburgh - No pairwise this year.

Fader

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

BU has time to get to 13 games. Day ain't over yet. 

And Hockey East is scheduling as they go along.  So I have to think they will find some "extra" games for them to get in before the Hockey East Tournament, especially if they are sitting on 11 or 12 games. 

Just now, siouxfaninseattle said:

BU is just a covid blip from not getting in 13 games.

Well the BIG 10 had a rule last season that their football teams had to have so many games in before they could qualify for the league playoff.  When Ohio State did not reach that threshhold, BIG officials simply changed the rule to allow them in.  We may see something similar in hockey.

4 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Well the BIG 10 had a rule last season that their football teams had to have so many games in before they could qualify for the league playoff.  When Ohio State did not reach that threshhold, BIG officials simply changed the rule to allow them in.  We may see something similar in hockey.

I love that everyone is so upset over a standard that no other league did. No dog in the fight and didn't like the rule, but don't understand everyone bashing Big 10 over changing it. Why I thought dumb from the start...what if the team that didn't make the threshold had never had a covid outbreak, but everyone they were supposed to play kept cancelling?

This case is different as the NCAA (not league) requires the 13 games. And leagues are now being more fluid with schedules.

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

This case is different as the NCAA (not league) requires the 13 games. And leagues are now being more fluid with schedules.

Yes, this. I think it's a smart general outline, but say if BU gets to 12 games and is 11-1 or 10-2, I certainly wouldn't be shocked to see the NCAA make a change. I'd support it if they had some qualities wins, actually. I just want to see the best teams get in, by what standard, I guess, I have no idea haha. Such a strange year. 

The NCAA has never really been an arbiter for "fairness" (needless to say) and with the name clout that BU brings to college hockey, it would frankly be shocking if they didn't get in if they have a solid resume but only 12 games. Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Blackheart said:

I remember Pat McAfee joking that the B1G made sure Ohio State was going to make the playoff. 

AHA

AIC and Robert Morris

ECHC

Quinnipiac and Clarkson*

Hockey East

BC and UMass

B1G

Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan

WCHA

Mankato, BGSU, and Michigan Tech

NCHC

Duluth, North Dakota, St. Cloud, and Omaha

Bubble Teams

Clarkson - I see them missing out 

Notre Dame - Even though they are ahead of Michigan in the conference Michigan has the better overall record.

BU - Not enough games yet

Denver - They will most likely need to win the NCHC Tournament 

UConn, Providence, and Northeastern - People seem to think highly of these 3 teams

1 seeds: UND, BC, Mankato, Minnesota

2 seeds: AIC, Duluth, Wisconsin, St. Cloud

3 seeds: UMass, BGSU, Robert Morris, Michigan Tech,

4 seeds: Quinnipiac, Omaha, Michigan, Clarkson

EAST

(2)BC - Michigan

Wisconsin - BGSU

NORTHEAST

(4)Minnesota - Quinnipiac

AIC - Michigan Tech

MIDWEST

(1)North Dakota - Clarkson

St. Cloud - UMass 

WEST

(3)Mankato - Omaha

Duluth - Robert Morris

16 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I'd be annoyed if they give more than one slot to an ECAC team.
With only four teams in the conference and two of them with overall losing records...and Clarkson barely above .500...just give their one spot to Quinnipiac and call it good.  :) 

I don't think Clarkson makes it, I don't see how anyone can keep the 2 AHA teams out when their records are better then most teams people are putting in the top 16.

10 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I'd be annoyed if they give more than one slot to an ECAC team.
With only four teams in the conference and two of them with overall losing records...and Clarkson barely above .500...just give their one spot to Quinnipiac and call it good.  :) 

Do they even have to give an auto-bid to a conference with only 4 teams playing? One team from ECAC maybe but certainly not 2. 

And Denver could find itself in a precarious position after the regular season. After they get swept :whistling: this weekend, they will have a 7-12-1 record. So they could finish with a losing record. But does the Wisconsin rule come into play if they win the NCHC tourny?

3 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Do they even have to give an auto-bid to a conference with only 4 teams playing? One team from ECAC maybe but certainly not 2. 

And Denver could find itself in a precarious position after the regular season. After they get swept :whistling: this weekend, they will have a 7-12-1 record. So they could finish with a losing record. But does the Wisconsin rule come into play if they win the NCHC tourny?

If they go to 7-12-1 they'd have to win out to get to .500

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

AIC barely squeaked out wins against LIU, who lost to a club team, and Air Force, who are objectively the worst team in college hockey this season. Only one AHA team should get in, whoever wins the tournament.

Both AIC 13-3-0 and Robert Morris 14-5-0 have better records then everyone but UND, Minnesota, BC, and Mankato. It would be really hard to justify they don't make it over teams like Notre Dame 10-9-1 Northeastern 6-5-2 Providence 8-6-4 UConn 8-6-2

In a year without the objectively determined rankings to select NCAA tournament entrants, it comes back to subjective determinations by the NCAA D-1 Men's Ice Hockey Committee.  

Mike Kemp, Omaha associate athletic director (chair)

Michael Cross, Penn State assistant athletic director

Bob Daniels, Ferris State coach

Mike Schafer, Cornell coach

Derek Schooley, Robert Morris coach

Jeffrey L. Schulman, Vermont athletic director

To the discussion above about the 16 teams in the field,

I can't see a scenario where there's only 6 Eastern teams in the field and 10 Western.  

Hockey East in all probability gets at least 3 and probably 4.  If there's 4, I hope it comes at the expense of the 4-team ECAC, and not from NCHC or WCHA teams.

Two for Atlantic Hockey seems probable, and their entrants have been more than credible historically.

16 minutes ago, jk said:

In the last few decades, how often has AHA had more than one tourney participant?  It can't have happened more than once or twice, if at all. 

I think 2013 may have been the only time.

They are unbeaten in the first round since 2017. (3-0)  Of course, they have St Cloud to thank for most of that. :)

College Hockey News Power 16 Updated: 

1) North Dakota

2) Boston College

3) Minnesota

4) Wisconsin

5) Minnesota State

6) Minnesota-Duluth

7) St. Cloud State

8) Michigan

9) Omaha

10) Quinnipiac

11) Boston University

12) Bowling Green

13) Massachusetts

14) Connecticut

15) Bemidji State

16) Clarkson 

New College Hockey News Power 16 Rankings

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/power16.php

Forecast for Regionals: 

Midwest:  North Dakota (1) vs. American Int'l   /  Michigan (6) vs. Minnesota-Duluth

West:  Minnesota (2) vs. Clarkson / St. Cloud State (7) vs. Quinnipiac

N'East: Boston College (3) vs. Bowling Green / Boston (8) vs. Omaha

East: Wisconsin (4) vs. UConn / Minnesota St. (5) vs. UMass

Still waiting for more from NCAA re: Worchester replacement - have to think the delay strongly suggests a change to regional sites or sending all 16 to Pittsburgh.  The Penguins are on the road March 29-April 11. 

1 hour ago, GoalieMask said:

New College Hockey News Power 16 Rankings

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/power16.php

Forecast for Regionals: 

Midwest:  North Dakota (1) vs. American Int'l   /  Michigan (6) vs. Minnesota-Duluth

West:  Minnesota (2) vs. Clarkson / St. Cloud State (7) vs. Quinnipiac

N'East: Boston College (3) vs. Bowling Green / Boston (8) vs. Omaha

East: Wisconsin (4) vs. UConn / Minnesota St. (5) vs. UMass

Still waiting for more from NCAA re: Worchester replacement - have to think the delay strongly suggests a change to regional sites or sending all 16 to Pittsburgh.  The Penguins are on the road March 29-April 11. 

Frankly, I do not want to be with Duluth. Hopefully things shuffle around by the time selection happens. The only benefit is familiarity but that’s about it. 

• Like 1