SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND Men's Basketball

SWSiouxMN

On 1/17/2023 at 7:01 PM, sioux24/7 said:

I want bowl seating, or what we can do, and fans closer to the court. At the Omaha game, fans were sitting courtside. I feel like many years ago we had true courtside seating too for at least some games. 

Look at the plans for the new Frost arena.  This is absolutely something they could do at the Betty.  It even looks like the Betty with the one suite on the one side.  I think they could puyll it off, and it would be great!!

new frost.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Aanen's choice to leave UND... noone 'got rid' of him. 

Glad he has figured it out and has found success.

I watched part of that last game and didn’t recognize him and didn’t have sound up to hear his name.

he was the go to guy.

good for him 

24 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Look at the plans for the new Frost arena.  This is absolutely something they could do at the Betty.  It even looks like the Betty with the one suite on the one side.  I think they could puyll it off, and it would be great!!

new frost.jpg

UND must have the only arenas with asbestos.

36 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

new frost.jpg

Am I missing something in this mock up or.... where are the team benches at?? Looks like fans courtside on both sides. 

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

new frost.jpg

Good to hear that they are fixing Frost.  Man they killed that place several years ago with some of the changes they made.  For a while, radio and TV announcers had the best seats in the house - it was a mess.

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

new frost.jpg

are they playing nevada-reno?  and is that daum?

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

new frost.jpg

So if they did this at the Betty are the 4 corner beams going to be a problem , how do you do a bowl with those in the way

14 minutes ago, Kab said:

So if they did this at the Betty are the 4 corner beams going to be a problem , how do you do a bowl with those in the way

Might not be able to do a complete bowl as the pillars in the corners appear to be holding the roof up.  Seating mught have to be similar to Fargo dowm with end seating but no corner seating.   Bigger issue is the ends with the low ceiling.  Would likely need some rmodeling.  All things that cost money, but I think there is a foundation with a similar name that is on the building that can maybe help out with that!!

betty.jpg

betty2.jpg

Well, whenever things get really bad, at least we can say we're not New Mexico State.

* Player involved in shooting, since suspended

* Coach leaves town with 9 players on bus, gets pulled over by State Patrol

* Chancellor of university fired (aka non-renewed)

* President removed/resigned

* Provost removed/resigned

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2023/02/10/new-mexico-state-suspends-operations-of-mens-basketball-team/

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, GoodGood said:

NDSU is going to be playing in the summit league championship after losing something ridiculous like 80% of their scoring from last year. Quick rebuild 

Hmmm so you're saying it doesn't need to be a 4+ year rebuilding process??

6 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Hmmm so you're saying it doesn't need to be a 4+ year rebuilding process??

Its a huge help when you have a guy named Grant Nelson as the main focus of a “rebuild”. Have to wait and see what they are like when he leaves and they enter a rebuild. This season for them is more like a retooling around him and Boden

10 hours ago, GoodGood said:

NDSU is going to be playing in the summit league championship after losing something ridiculous like 80% of their scoring from last year. Quick rebuild 

While they lost a good chunk, it was not 80% or actually even near it. 65% would be more accurate.

Returning three key contributors who had almost 130 games of experience, including one who was on the pre-season all-Summit team isn't exactly a rebuild. That doesn't even take into account a 4th guy who's played 50 games, sitting out with an injury this year and helping mentor the young guards. Regardless, having two guys on the roster in their 3rd season who are top 12ish players in the league is a pretty strong position to build from even when you lose a few guys.

Also of note, they are 14-16 against D1 competition despite what they were building off of. Should have lost to USD until the Coyotes literally through the game away. Full credit for getting hot twice in one game against SDSU and running them off the court though. 

19 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

While they lost a good chunk, it was not 80% or actually even near it. 65% would be more accurate.

Returning three key contributors who had almost 130 games of experience, including one who was on the pre-season all-Summit team isn't exactly a rebuild. That doesn't even take into account a 4th guy who's played 50 games, sitting out with an injury this year and helping mentor the young guards. Regardless, having two guys on the roster in their 3rd season who are top 12ish players in the league is a pretty strong position to build from even when you lose a few guys.

Also of note, they are 14-16 against D1 competition despite what they were building off of. Should have lost to USD until the Coyotes literally through the game away. Full credit for getting hot twice in one game against SDSU and running them off the court though. 

Maybe it was 80% of their minutes from last year. They returned one starter. Lost 4 players to other D1 schools in the portal and graduated another that was 1st team all conference. I hope UND can get to a point where we lose that much in an offseason and can still contend to go to the big dance 

3 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Maybe it was 80% of their minutes from last year. They returned one starter. Lost 4 players to other D1 schools in the portal and graduated another that was 1st team all conference. I hope UND can get to a point where we lose that much in an offseason and can still contend to go to the big dance 

Closer, but still wasn't it. About 70% gone. Don't disagree that they lost a lot of production, but they had 3 solid building blocks (plus an injured one) that came back.
I'd love it if we could just get to that point.

They were a mess at the beginning of the season, the coach let the young guys learn on the fly and they are coming together for a nice run at the end of the season.
How their OOC was so bad with a couple of the players they had coming back but when you're a low major, I guess the end of the year needs to be the focus.

17 hours ago, GoodGood said:

It helps to have a 6' 11" potential NBA player on the roster. That Nelson guy is kinda good. That's the thing about Basketball one player can have a huge impact. 

46 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

It helps to have a 6' 11" potential NBA player on the roster. That Nelson guy is kinda good. That's the thing about Basketball one player can have a huge impact. 

The thing is this is the first year Nelson has been asked to be the man. That’s a huge jump from 3rd or 4th option to being the go to guy. (I’ve said Nelson is a potential NBA guy since I first saw him his senior year in high school). Skunberg was a role playing guy off the bench. That’s a huge jump to being the #2 option and being the go to guard. Morgan had talent but was limited in minutes last year due to the players in front of him. This wasn’t 3 players that have proven to be all conference level players. Either Richman has done a hell of a coaching job or the summit league is awful this year. Could be a combination of both 

5 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

The thing is this is the first year Nelson has been asked to be the man. That’s a huge jump from 3rd or 4th option to being the go to guy. (I’ve said Nelson is a potential NBA guy since I first saw him his senior year in high school). Skunberg was a role playing guy off the bench. That’s a huge jump to being the #2 option and being the go to guard. Morgan had talent but was limited in minutes last year due to the players in front of him. This wasn’t 3 players that have proven to be all conference level players. Either Richman has done a hell of a coaching job or the summit league is awful this year. Could be a combination of both 

This!! People think it's easy to ask a player to all of a sudden go from a role player to "the guy" where you are the #1 priority of every single scout from every opposing team. They do nothing but watch film as a team for multiple days on how to stop their 1 or 2 guys. For Nelson and Skunberg to make those jumps from role players to the 1 and 2 guys is not an easy thing. Richman did a great job coaching them this year and letting me play through mistakes at the beginning of the year. That's what great coaches do!

• Like 1