SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND Men's Basketball

SWSiouxMN

3 minutes ago, SD UND said:

So the Summit leagues main sport.. which is wbb and mbb.. should forfeit a guaranteed every year 50K-70K ticketed fans at their tourney so that ORU and WIU can host a conference tourney game on their home court?

Plus.. Summit League headquarters are in SF.

It's not leaving Sioux Falls for the foreseeable future.

1. yes...because it should be about the experience for the players....and it makes the regular season conf championship more special.

2.  who cares where the league offices are...

3. eventually it will....

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if it's such a no brainer why are 4 conferences still doing on campus games? is the horizon league so rich that they just f it to "free" money...

You first said that it was "a joke" that the championship game wasn't in Tulsa, now you vaguely mention "campus games".  Are you trying to move the goal posts already?  Seems you're now referring to first round games now instead of the championship.  Which is it?

5 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if it's such a no brainer why are 4 conferences still doing on campus games? is the horizon league so rich that they just f it to "free" money...

Do you know how many conferences there are? 

9 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

regular season conf champion should host post season tourney....

8 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:
7 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

You first said that it was "a joke" that the championship game wasn't in Tulsa, now you vaguely mention "campus games".  Are you trying to move the goal posts already?  Seems you're now referring to first round games now instead of the championship.  Which is it?

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Oral Roberts is in Tulsa... Hence they host the post season tourney... At home... In Tulsa

For having zero clue about what you're talking about, you sure seem to have a strong opinion about this.

#1 The horizon league was forced out of Little Ceasars arena (and into their current format) because they had terrible attendance.  2# The Summit league draws nearly double the Horizon League mens tournament, and probably more than triple if you include women.  #3 The Horizon League, no matter the seeding, hosts the final rounds in IUPUI's HOME ARENA.  #4 You say it's a joke that Tulsa didn't play in Tulsa, while at the same time you say you like the Horizon format?  If ORU was in that league, not only would they still not be in Tulsa, but they would be in a conference member's home arena rather than a neutral site...  

• Upvote 4

On 3/9/2023 at 1:01 AM, nodak651 said:

For having zero clue about what you're talking about, you sure seem to have a strong opinion about this.

#1 The horizon league was forced out of Little Ceasars arena (and into their current format) because they had terrible attendance.  2# The Summit league draws nearly double the Horizon League mens tournament, and probably more than triple if you include women.  #3 The Horizon League, no matter the seeding, hosts the final rounds in IUPUI's HOME ARENA.  #4 You say it's a joke that Tulsa didn't play in Tulsa, while at the same time you say you like the Horizon format?  If ORU was in that league, not only would they still not be in Tulsa, but they would be in a conference member's home arena rather than a neutral site...  

1.  good for the horizon league for making the change instead of forcing a neutral site tourney if the fans didn't/don't show up

2.  i referenced the horizon league meaning i like first two rounds being on campus to highest seeds AND then moving the last two games to a pre determined site over a 2 day period (the summit league tourney is too long at the one site)...but would still prefer confernence champ host the the last two games (oral roberts)

3.  i think you don't understand why i reference the city of Tulsa when referencing ORU...im not referencing tulsa university. 

Round one thursday march 2nd or friday march 3rd

ndsu v omaha in fargo

st thomas v und in st paul

western illinois v denver in macomb

usd v kc in vermillion

Round two saturday march 4th or sunday march 5th

western illinois v omaha in macomb

usd v und in vermillion

Round three friday march 10th

oral roberts v omaha in tulsa ( or sioux falls or...highest bidder?...st paul, minny, des moines, denver, REA, las vegas, phoenix...)

sdsu v und in tulsa

Round four saturday march 11th

oral roberts v und in tulsa ( or sioux falls or...highest bidder?...st paul, minny, des moines, denver, REA, las vegas, phoenix...)

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Round one thursday march 2nd

ndsu v omaha in fargo

usd v kc in vermillion

Round two saturday march 4th

usd v und in vermillion

oral roberts v omaha in tulsa ( or sioux falls or...highest bidder?...st paul, minny, denver, REA, las vegas, phoenix...)

sdsu v und in tulsa

oral roberts v und in tulsa ( or sioux falls or...highest bidder?...st paul, minny, denver, REA, las vegas, phoenix...)

This is something I could get more behind having the first couple rounds at higher seeds but that’s a lot more travel then too. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Round one thursday march 2nd or friday march 3rd

ndsu v omaha in fargo

usd v kc in vermillion

Round two saturday march 4th or sunday march 5th

usd v und in vermillion

oral roberts v omaha in tulsa ( or sioux falls or...highest bidder?...st paul, minny, des moines, denver, REA, las vegas, phoenix...)

sdsu v und in tulsa

oral roberts v und in tulsa ( or sioux falls or...highest bidder?...st paul, minny, des moines, denver, REA, las vegas, phoenix...)

Sounds expensive and unnecessary

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Sounds expensive and unnecessary

Did you even read my post?

There were maybe 5k people for the championship game in a venue that seats 12k figure basketball....

I see the meac championship got streamers or confetti for their champion!!!

So the men's side drew 30k

So...

NDSU v Omaha attendance 6k

St Thomas v UND attendance 2k (new 5k arena coming in St Paul soon)

Western Illinois v Denver attendance 5k

South Dakota v KC attendance 6k

Then....

Western Illinois v Omaha attendance 5k

South Dakota v North Dakota attendance 6k

Then...

Oral Roberts v Omaha attendance 11k

South Dakota State v North Dakota attendance 5k?

Then...

Oral Roberts v North Dakota attendance 11k

So....55k is bigger than 30k

Plus...

What if UND hosted NDSU, SDSU, or USD and had the game at REA....10k instead of 3k?

Same thing with NDSU... Fargo Dome instead of Scheels...10k instead of 6k?

Same thing with Oral Roberts... How many fans could they get for two games at the BOK Center?

SDSU and USD could use the Denny if they wanted...

St Thomas could use the X or Target Center

4 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

So the men's side drew 30k

So...

NDSU v Omaha attendance 6k

St Thomas v UND attendance 2k (new 5k arena coming in St Paul soon)

Western Illinois v Denver attendance 5k

South Dakota v KC attendance 6k

Then....

Western Illinois v Omaha attendance 5k

South Dakota v North Dakota attendance 6k

Then...

Oral Roberts v Omaha attendance 11k

South Dakota State v North Dakota attendance 5k?

Then...

Oral Roberts v North Dakota attendance 11k

So....55k is bigger than 30k

Plus...

What if UND hosted NDSU, SDSU, or USD and had the game at REA....10k instead of 3k?

Same thing with NDSU... Fargo Dome instead of Scheels...10k instead of 6k?

Same thing with Oral Roberts... How many fans could they get for two games at the BOK Center?

SDSU and USD could use the Denny if they wanted...

St Thomas could use the X or Target Center

I don't mind the concept of more of an nchc style setup, but you're overestimating on campus attendance. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I don't mind the concept of more of an nchc style setup, but you're overestimating on campus attendance. 

Not to mention short term travel logistics and making sure arenas are available. 

The tournament is currently very profitable, it would be nice to stay that way. 

I won't argue the atmosphere in the Betty was awesome when the women won there, but the greater good says this is a very good setup. 

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Give me your attendance predictions....

Then give me your attendance figures if the summit loses oral, KC to and or at Thomas and replace them with the artist formerly known as Mankato state (msu), st clown St, and Augie?

33 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Not to mention short term travel logistics and making sure arenas are available. 

The tournament is currently very profitable, it would be nice to stay that way. 

I won't argue the atmosphere in the Betty was awesome when the women won there, but the greater good says this is a very good setup. 

Greater good for South Dakota.... If the summit league loses st Thomas ukc and or oral Roberts.... You got the NCC 2.1

14 hours ago, nodak651 said:

and if Fargo, GF, Vermillion, Brookings, or Macomb can't sell out there average size home arena for a single elimination post season playoff game on a  friday night we all might as well just ask for membership in the Northern Sun Conference

This is why the big sky Montanas and idahos and the summit should merge for both football and basketball and let the fringe summit schools find another conference 

rotation Sioux Falls and billings for tourney, throw in a Bismarck and rapid city too

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1