SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND Men's Basketball

SWSiouxMN

5 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Now SU feeling the TP pain. 

I feel like it’s been mostly anticipated losses though. If you see Nelson, Morgan or Skunberg leave, than there may be something going on. 

I would love to somehow get Harden-Hayes up here. Maybe he’s buddies with all the former Spuds on the football team. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I feel like it’s been mostly anticipated losses though. If you see Nelson, Morgan or Skunberg leave, than there may be something going on. 

I would love to somehow get Harden-Hayes up here. Maybe he’s buddies with all the former Spuds on the football team. 

Probably pretty split.
Cook started 32 games and played 26 minutes/night. I doubt they were expecting him to leave.
MHH played almost every game and would have easily saw 20+ minutes/night next season. Don't think that was in the plans either.
Guy and Haman likely weren't going to see the floor much, though Guy did average 12 minutes/game and there isn't exactly a go-to point guard on the roster.
Griesel is interesting. I think it was obvious that he didn't plan on another year in Fargo, but the assumption was he was headed to German to start his pro career. Sounds like he hasn't actually shut the door on playing another college year but made it clear it won't be for NDSU if he does. Maybe looking to play back home for Nebraska or Creighton? 

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Right now NDSU has exactly zero juniors and seniors on their MBB roster. 

More so because of NDSU handles the free Covid year. Nelson, Skunberg and McKinney will be true juniors next season (have played and used two years of eligibility) but NDSU chooses to subtract their free Covid year on the roster.

They are still shaping up to be a pretty young team depending on what they bring in to replace the losses though.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Right now NDSU has exactly zero juniors and seniors on their MBB roster. 

twitter is melting down in fargo bc why would anyone want to play anywhere else and the portal is suppose to help major college basketball programs like the ndac

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

peterson new coach at sodak too.....

Will the NCAA be looking into the SD situation with coach getting fired and Bruns possible tampering or is it all hearsay?

On 3/9/2022 at 5:14 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

conference champs need to host this tourney...having it in sioux falls every year is total BS

Have you been the the tourney?  I went only once.  Back before they had this great venue.  Sioux Falls is a great place for it.  If they had it in Grand Forks....nobody would show up.  Sioux Falls is a pretty good spot.  Easy drive from Omaha, KC, Fargo, Brookings, Vermillion.  Probably an easy drive for a lot of the parents.  Can plan it out wayyyy in advance.   

Its a fun atmosphere down there.  Yeah its SDSU heavy but that is an easy sacrifice to make to have a good atmosphere at the tourney. Imagine a conference tourney in Macomb or Grand Forks or Fargo....it would be an absolute joke.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Have you been the the tourney?  I went only once.  Back before they had this great venue.  Sioux Falls is a great place for it.  If they had it in Grand Forks....nobody would show up.  Sioux Falls is a pretty good spot.  Easy drive from Omaha, KC, Fargo, Brookings, Vermillion.  Probably an easy drive for a lot of the parents.  Can plan it out wayyyy in advance.   

Its a fun atmosphere down there.  Yeah its SDSU heavy but that is an easy sacrifice to make to have a good atmosphere at the tourney. Imagine a conference tourney in Macomb or Grand Forks or Fargo....it would be an absolute joke.

no but i was at the betty when the women's bball clinched........electric

electric>fun

52 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

electric>fun

I’ve been to the championship game for the Summit in 2018 and that was electric. It was SDSU vs USD so that was going to be a great crowd. No reason we can’t get UND fans down there. I’m sure St. Paul is going to be littered in green this weekend (I’ll be there) and we call the X, REA East yet that is further from GF than Sioux Falls. St. Cloud is right next door, not like they overtake the X. 

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Will the NCAA be looking into the SD situation with coach getting fired and Bruns possible tampering or is it all hearsay?

So many things just fell like dominos: the Summit ROY enters the portal, an abstract Tweet by a UND BB insider, USD relieves their MBB HC with no real stated cause, said ROY makes visit to USD ... where there's smoke. 

But short of a formal complaint, the NCAA ain't doin' nothin'. 

USD still has AJ, Archambault, and Tasos

NDSU still has Nelson and Morgan

Despite their losses, they still have these key pieces to build around.  When right AJ is the best guard outside of Abmas and can go off.

Nelson and Morgan should make the best frontcourt in the conference next year.

11 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

electric>fun

What sounds more "electric".... #2 ndsu v. #4 oral roberts in Macomb which people had a week to plan to travel to or..... in Sioux Falls where everyone knows years in advance where the tourney is being played, and most of the schools' fans live within easy driving distance. 

I can argue both sides of summit conference tournament but my gut feeling it's too much of advantage for the South Dakota schools because of recruiting and retaining players. I hear people talking about how UND travels with hockey team and it's going to happen with basketball program but basically most of North Dakota citizens will not travel that far for basketball if that was the case their should have been thousands of NDSU fans at Summit conference championship with the success they have had in basketball but that is not the case. Hockey has number of fans that will travel but it is usually destination with exception of regional hockey tournaments which have been close last few years but these are two day tournament over the weekend much less of commitment to go watch. Now the Summit conference tournament starts Saturday and runs through Tuesday a four day tournament and if your distance from the tournament you can add two extra days for traveling quite a commitment to go spend watching midmajor conference tournament. Not something unless your die hard fan that is hard to commit too and plan a year ahead when your going to use four days of vacation and spend 5 days in hotel room.  This is not the case for the South Dakota Schools fans when majority live in two hours or less from Sioux Falls where there costs is the cost of tickets. Like I have stated here before its to big recruitment advantage for South Dakota schools and no matter how you spin it the other 8 schools at disadvantage and i believe over time will spell problems for retaining number of schools in the conference. I agree playing front of full house is exciting but if it leads to the two schools dominating the conference i think its to big price. I believe its not going to change because of the money and politics. I also know majority of on board think differently but i wanted you think about some reasons why number fans may think and they just choose to watch the games on Tv instead of making the trip.