SiouxSports.com Forum

Bullying

SiouxFanatic

1 hour ago, Sioux90 said:

So what's your point? You can judge him by not condoning his past behavior, but others can't by saying once a bully (a loser) always a bully. It's character, a mindset. What he did wasn't harmless and went on for years. Being 14 isn't an excuse. I don't want North Dakota Hockey to have the reputation of bringing in bad kids with baggage.....

I’ve been watching Fighting Sioux hockey for 30 years. Current, past/former players aren’t angels. You might as well quit supporting the program with that comment. If you only knew some stories of probably your favorite players during different generations. We’re human. No one is perfect. Yes, some people have better character and have better  judgment than others. 

Why don’t you ask the USHL team if they had any problems with Miller? Then get back to me, seems like they gave him a chance/opportunity.

On 6/29/2020 at 1:11 PM, SiouxForever said:

Love how you're all judging a person you never met in real life. Gotta love 2020 and social media/the internet. For the record, I do NOT condone his past behavior at all. 

I read the article and apparently the judge in the case did not see any sign of contrition or remorse from Mitchell other than that he was "feeling sorry for himself".  I agree that this is going to be a burden for him, but how about the kid who was bullied?  From experience I know that even 50 years later the sense of humiliation and emotional pain do not go away - you can learn to live with it, but it will always be there and the memories will come back any time you let your guard down.  This is not the way we treat people in a civilized society, nothing entitles this bully to commit the acts he did, and nothing erases the experience from the memory of the true victim.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Sioux90 said:

So what's your point? You can judge him by not condoning his past behavior, but others can't by saying once a bully (a loser) always a bully. It's character, a mindset. What he did wasn't harmless and went on for years. Being 14 isn't an excuse. I don't want North Dakota Hockey to have the reputation of bringing in bad kids with baggage.....

I don't like it when almost anyone is classified as once _____ always _______.

People have the ability to change, reform and atone for past mistakes. 

Here's an interesting guy to listen to:

https://www.ted.com/speakers/christian_picciolini

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Schloss can't ignore it any longer.

I think Brad Berry needs to address it also. Clearly he knew about it and did the due diligence on him to decide to give him a second chance. I believe in second chances, but what Miller did is disgusting and difficult for me to give one to. I’d love to know how Berry decided he deserves one. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think Brad Berry needs to address it also. Clearly he knew about it and did the due diligence on him to decide to give him a second chance. I believe in second chances, but what Miller did is disgusting and difficult for me to give one to. I’d love to know how Berry decided he deserves one. 

Agreed. It looks terrible optics-wise that UND and @schlossmangfh have ignored it. It's a dramatic difference on something like what Bochenski did vs what Miller did. It might've not made a difference if they addressed it head on but I'd say it is certainly better than not addressing it all.

Brad actually tweeted about it finally. Looks like @AlphaMikeFoxtrot was right.

The Craig Harris story mentions this occurred four years ago when Miller (today 18) was 14.

The records must be from juvenile court. They are. From article: "Four years ago, Miller admitted in an Ohio juvenile court ... "

I though juvenile records were sealed to give the chance to learn and be a better adult. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Agreed. It looks terrible optics-wise that UND and @schlossmangfh have ignored it. It's a dramatic difference on something like what Bochenski did vs what Miller did. It might've not made a difference if they addressed it head on but I'd say it is certainly better than not addressing it all.

Brad actually tweeted about it finally. Looks like @AlphaMikeFoxtrot was right.

assuming that schloss got bullied a lot growing up...he's gonna run with this till the kid cries on camera.

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The Craig Harris story mentions this occurred four years ago when Miller (today 18) was 14.

The records must be from juvenile court. They are. From article: "Four years ago, Miller admitted in an Ohio juvenile court ... "

I though juvenile records were sealed to give the chance to learn and be a better adult. 

The link to the article no longer works but luckily there is the internet archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160630165121/http://www.toledoblade.com:80/Courts/2016/04/26/Judge-slams-pair-s-role-in-bullying-case.html

The same people who thought it was funny to chant "small pox blankets" are undoubtedly calling for some sort of arbitrary reprimand. Miller will make some cheesy statement and the terminally angry mob will move on the the next cause of the day. He had every chance to get out in front of it, though, and either made a poorly calculated or downright stupid decision not to.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

One thought from reading that article...   it mentions Miller not being remorseful.   Is this lack of remorse a by-product of following advise that is common in personal advising, "don't say anymore than required"?

Only at autopsy can you really know what's in someone's heart, and even then, it's kind of mushy.  Who gets to be the arbiter of "remorse", anyway?  It's a silly notion, frankly, but ripe fodder for the smug internet hit mob, for whom no apology is ever genuine or sincere enough.

• Upvote 2

I'm a bit shocked that he's at UND after this happened.  You would think the coaches would have all the background on the kid and that court ruling would have made them look a different direction.

Now, should something a kid did when he was 14 years old dictate the rest of his life?  I don't have that answer.  And its not my job to decide whats best for this kid.

I hope this wasn't racially motivated in any way, and I hope he is remorseful.  I thought the Phoenix Coyotes put out a good statement, but you never end up on the right side of a grease fire situation.  

43 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Not the best statement, IMO. First off, "unfortunate incident" implies it was a one-time thing and it certainly does not sound like that was the case. Second, UND stating that it feels it is the best environment to help him learn and grow essentially places the onus of his future actions/behavior directly on UND and UND hockey from now until eternity. A bold move. Especially when you consider the multiple issues of racism/racist behavior by UND students and athletes over the years.

• Upvote 1

Two things:

1. If you profess to be a Christian, and you can't square UND's move with this kid, shame on you.  Go back to Sunday School and apologize to that poor lady.

2. Would you rather see the skeleton in the room, or all of the ones in the closets that you don't yet know about?  I would say the people who have had their sins laid bare are always a far safer bet than the "angels."

2 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I’m going to go ahead and trust that Brad Berry made the right decision on this one.  I’m sure he knows a hell of a lot more about this kid than any of us ever will.  The kid was 14...now he’s 18.  A lot can change in 4 years.  I hope for MM’s sake he has seen the error of his ways.

2 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

I’m going to go ahead and trust that Brad Berry made the right decision on this one.  I’m sure he knows a hell of a lot more about this kid than any of us ever will.  The kid was 14...now he’s 18.  A lot can change in 4 years.  I hope for MM’s sake he has seen the error of his ways.

Of course....

19 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Good take.  Berry is a tremendous person.  Everyone who knows him will tell you the same thing.  Former coaches and players rave about him.

• Upvote 2