SiouxSports.com Forum

UND VB players Dismissed

SWSiouxMN

4 minutes ago, Undfan23 said:

I agree it would be sad if everything was a fake, however I have an EXTREMELY hard time believing this was made up, why would anyone do that? Especially risking scholarships and likely knowing that again, it wouldn’t be hard to discredit that video if it were not true....as you said it is 2020. There are people at UND with the knowledge to figure that out. Again, far fetched. I’ve seen the video, looked at it multiple times, there is absolutely nothing to indicate it is not real and more to indicate that it is.

IMO two girls made bad choices, then followed them up with additional bad choices. That speaks to character, and not in a good way.  

Ya and that’s why I threw out both scenarios. Whether it’s believable or not or it happened or not, I think it’s still not something to brand somebody a racist over and ruin their lives forever.

5 minutes ago, Undfan23 said:

I’m certainly not advocating for ruining someone’s life! But I do agree with removing them from the team, or an amiable breakup between undvb and the girls.

Oh I know you weren’t. I also agree with them stepping down because I can’t imagine what would happen at volleyball games if they would have stayed on the team.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, siouxhockeyaddict said:

Oh I know you weren’t. I also agree with them stepping down because I can’t imagine what would happen at volleyball games if they would have stayed on the team.

Maybe opposing teams would turn their backs in protest while these two were serving. Could be a huge tactical advantage. ;)

2 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Yes, it’s true. Being a white criminal, you are more likely to be shot and killed by the police during an arrest than a black criminal during an arrest.   
(But don’t let that statistic rain on your violent riots)

Your interpretation of that statistic is wrong. Just because more white people than black are shot and killed by police, it does not mean it's more likely to happen. 

The percentage of white criminals killed by police vs total white people arrested is smaller than that for blacks. Thus, the likelihood (i.e. percentage compared to total population) is actually significantly higher for black people. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Your interpretation of that statistic is wrong. Just because more white people than black are shot and killed by police, it does not mean it's more likely to happen. 

The percentage of white criminals killed by police vs total white people arrested is smaller than that for blacks. Thus, the likelihood (i.e. percentage compared to total population) is actually significantly higher for black people. 

thomas sowell might disagree with your take on that...maybe read his comparison to NBA refs to break it down for you with a sports analogy

24 minutes ago, southpaw said:

No, I’m not wrong. Compare the total number of arrests of white people to the total number of white people killed by police. Then compare the total number of arrests of black people, and compare it to the number of black people killed by police. That is my statistic. And it is correct.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Big Lubowski said:

A Harvard economist, Roland Fryer, who happens to be black, and the youngest to ever achieve tenure at Harvard, set out to prove your premise, that blacks were shot more often than whites by white cops. However, Fryer found, as he put it: "The most  surprising result I have found in my entire career." The result? That blacks are actually 23.5% less likely to be shot by cops than whites. His paper is entitled: "An Empirical Analysis of Racial Differences in Police Use of Force. It's on the internet."

Fryer concluded:  “It is plausible that racial differences in lower level uses of force are simply a distraction and movements such as Black Lives Matter should seek solutions within their own communities rather than changing the behaviors of police and other external forces.”

Fryer,  concluded that racial disparities in police shootings, i.e. wherein the percentage of blacks shot make up more than their percentage of the population in general, stems primarily from racial disparities in criminal behavior. In other words, police shootings are a function of how often police officers encounter violent and armed individuals. 

By the way, Fryer is not a conservative--he is a professor at the most liberal university in the country.

His study and conclusions were echoed in a subsequent paper by the University of Maryland and Michigan State University--"Officer characteristics and Racial Disparities in fatal officer-involved shootings."

So, no, the data does not indicate what you suggest--in fact, just the opposite. 

There are typically about 1000 people fatally shot nationwide per year. That number has held pretty steady since 2015. Blacks consistently make up about 25% of that number. You would argue that shows racism, because blacks only make up about 12.5% of the population. But, in the latest nationwide crime data available, 2018, blacks committed 53% of the homicides and 60% of the robberies--see above about getting shot being a function of how often you encounter a police officer in a high intensity situation. 

In 2018, there were 7,407 black homicides. In 88% of the cases, the responsible person was black. From 1976 to 2005, 94% of the killers of blacks were other blacks. 

The data is out there if anyone really wants to find it.  The 4 cops in Minneapolis should be prosecuted, but cops in general are not the problem. 

I'm thinking the response would be "This doesn't address that there is a systematic issue".  (Not my thoughts just based on listening to too much public radio during the pandemic). 

30 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I'm thinking the response would be "This doesn't address that there is a systematic issue".  (Not my thoughts just based on listening to too much public radio during the pandemic). 

Yes, that is a convenient argument, but, if we can’t disprove systemic racism with data, then it can’t be done. We can’t climb inside peoples minds—yet. Until then, I guess we have to take their word for it—“inherent racism” I believe they call it. 

32 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I hear the buzz words systemic and institutionalized racism thrown around constantly by the left. But ask one of them to explain what that means and give an example and you get no facts. Just emotions based on false narratives that they have all bought into..  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 6/5/2020 at 5:13 PM, The Sicatoka said:

I’m not telling anyone not to be offended by what they find offensive.

I’m saying be careful what you may have said that someone may find offensive. 

Al Davis had it right.  

https://standfor.containerstore.com/leaders-we-love-al-davis

“When leading, you don’t do unto others as they would do unto you; you do unto them as they would want to be done. You have to treat them the way they want to be treated.”

12 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Al Davis had it right.  

https://standfor.containerstore.com/leaders-we-love-al-davis

“When leading, you don’t do unto others as they would do unto you; you do unto them as they would want to be done. You have to treat them the way they want to be treated.”

If anyone watched "The Last Dance" MJ didn't follow in quotes above. He did what he knew was better and he wouldn't push something on his teammates that he wouldn't do himself. He's is a true "leader" the king/verbatim/definition of the word.  He's not soft, he was tough as nails and sometimes came off as a prick. He won what 6 championships with that attitude? I'll let his actions do the talking. In MJ and Lil Wayne's views I trust. 

The thing with me is this:  If the athletic department was aware of this investigation and given that word gets around with the other teams (because lets be real, it would have)  why would they put themselves in this position to get called out to begin with? How dumb do you have to be? Jaxson was 100% correct to call out the athletic department on this.  Blame should be fully placed on the marketing department within UND athletics.  

However, there is a bigger issues here and they need to be addressed.

if the head coach told her to "let this blow over" instead of having a conversation with Jaxson.... I have a problem with that.  Let her reach out and see if they can have a discussion and understanding.  Even if he said, i'm not interested,  it would still be an attempt to try and gain and understanding.   

If other UND athletes have been targeted due to fake snapchats, why hasn't UND done more to figure out who is behind it?

• Upvote 1

On 6/7/2020 at 12:48 PM, Siouxphan27 said:

No, I’m not wrong. Compare the total number of arrests of white people to the total number of white people killed by police. Then compare the total number of arrests of black people, and compare it to the number of black people killed by police. That is my statistic. And it is correct.

So, every year, White people, independent of Police Action, kill about 225 Black people, on average.......every year, Black people kill about 500 White people, on average. 60 percent of the population kills half of the people that 13 percent of the population kills.

Suppose White people went rioting in Black neighborhoods, or looting Black owned businesses....or simply shuttered them.

Should the Federal Government sit back and allow that to happen, in the absence of action from Mayors and Governors?

6 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what would happen if jaxson turner asked shane pinto which comedian was his favorite and he replied richard pryor and he asked which stand up routine was his favorite of Richard's and shane replied "bicentennial ______"...

If Pinto, wearing his World Junior USA jersey, asked Turner why the "x" instead of the typical "ck" in Jackson would that make Pinto racist?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1