SiouxSports.com Forum

UND VB players Dismissed

SWSiouxMN

I haven't seen the video myself, but I was told they were singing/syncing along with a song that featured an abundant use of the n-word. 

And now reading it's more than just the supposed song. Regardless, whatever it was isn't good.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't agree with this. Suspend them for a couple of games and have a serious one-on-one talk with each of them, but don't just cut them. They are missing a teachable moment here.

There was a teachable moment the first time. Actions have consequences. 

1 hour ago, undVBfan said:

I haven't seen the video myself, but I was told they were singing/syncing along with a song that featured an abundant use of the n-word. 

And now reading it's more than just the supposed song. Regardless, whatever it was isn't good.

I saw the snapchat on the UND Athletics Facebook comments on the story...

woof.  Bad, bad, bad decisions. 

25 minutes ago, southpaw said:

There was a teachable moment the first time. Actions have consequences. 

Are you implying this wasn't the first time? 

Mistake, errors of judgement, happen.
I'm interested in your mistake; I'm more interested in what you do afterwards. 

That said, keep making the same mistake, the same error of judgement, and, well, you made the choice. < sound of hammer drop > 

To me the classic case was ... Brandon "Bucks" Bochenski (future mayor of Grand Forks ;) ). He made a mistake. He atoned. He learned. He cleaned up his act.  

4 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

For some, it isn't enough and they want the two off of campus. 

At this point it's probably better for all parties. 

(I don't know details of what has or has not transpired; however, if there's this much uproar will they still be able to be students and student-athletes without constant "reminders" that will come ungracefully.) 

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

At this point it's probably better for all parties. 

(I don't know details of what has or has not transpired; however, if there's this much uproar will they still be able to be students and student-athletes without constant "reminders" that will come ungracefully.) 

You mean kinda like referring to the hockey team as the Fighting Sioux?

2 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

You mean kinda like referring to the hockey team as the Fighting Sioux?

Like I said, "I don't know details of what has or has not transpired" in this situation. And how does that apply here?

Agree or not, Fighting Sioux was removed with rationale being it was racist. Does the continual reference to Fighting Sioux by hockey players and fans constitute the same speech?

Or, are we now in an era where football players dictate punishment for volleyball players. And hockey continues to get a pass. Confused. Me too.

2 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

Agree or not, Fighting Sioux was removed with rationale being it was racist.

I believe the accusation was "hostile and abusive".
I believe the accuser (NCAA) stepped back from that claim as a part of the settlement agreement. 

< enter the lawyers to check my recollections > 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I believe the accuser (NCAA) stepped back from that claim as a part of the settlement agreement. 

Not arguing. Pointing out slippery slope. A new era in speech is upon us. Racism is never justified. Speech is hard to govern. Context is important and the "goring of one's ox" is often the catalyst. I see "the reversal" of the decision as the discussion point.

3 minutes ago, southpaw said:

While we are posting Bible verses, I think these are relevant: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+7%3A15-20&version=KJV

Indeed " ...by their fruits ye shall know them ..." so yes, as I said, the accusers best also be " ... without sin ...". 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

But why didn't UND get approval from both tribes? Because the leaders of one felt it was racist. 

I think there will be a significant change in hockey's use of Sioux.

I'll be honest, I have a lot of Sioux gear but it feels really inappropriate to wear clothing with a giant Sioux head. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Indeed " ...by their fruits ye shall know them ..." so yes, as I said, the accusers best also be " ... without sin ...". 

The accusers are the victims in this situation. Who are you (or any of us) to tell people whether they should be offended or not. Especially about a racial slur.

I live in 2020, where the teachings of Jesus are largely ignored by my fellow Christians. I don't see those being offended as casting stones.

11 minutes ago, southpaw said:

The accusers are the victims in this situation. Who are you (or any of us) to tell people whether they should be offended or not. Especially about a racial slur.

I live in 2020, where the teachings of Jesus are largely ignored by my fellow Christians. I don't see those being offended as casting stones.

Almost certain Sicatoka's Bible qoute is for the benefit of posters on this board.

• Like 1