SiouxSports.com Forum

UND VB players Dismissed

SWSiouxMN

6 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what's the line in the sand now for words going forward?

if jaxson turner uses the word bitch ,retard, fag, homo, cocksucker, maam (when they are actually a man)...is he kicked off campus too?

just wondering.

This street is just one way traffic at the present time......

21 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if jaxson turner uses the word bitch ,retard, fag, homo, cocksucker, maam (when they are actually a man)...is he kicked off campus too?

just wondering.

I would think at least 3 of those deserve punishment but none of them are close to the n-word. 

Just now, UND1983 said:

Why?  The R word is getting the attention it deserves now.  F and H are also.

I just came to edit my post. I actually agree all 4 are just as offensive to the people they're targeting. And CS is there too. 

As they say - be careful what you measure...    I watched the JR Smith video the other day and I thought to myself what would happen to me if I did something like that to one my local rioter's  (note:  I live in the Twin Cities) and then bragged about it on social media.  I would be fired from my job and I would have to move (which really doesn't sound like a bad option at this point to be honest).

The double standards are amazing:  https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/05/video-shows-j-r-smith-beating-up-a-protester-for-allegedly-breaking-his-trucks-window

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, FSSD said:

As they say - be careful what you measure...    I watched the JR Smith video the other day and I thought to myself what would happen to me if I did something like that to one my local rioter's  (note:  I live in the Twin Cities) and then bragged about it on social media.  I would be fired from my job and I would have to move (which really doesn't sound like a bad option at this point to be honest).

The double standards are amazing:  https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/05/video-shows-j-r-smith-beating-up-a-protester-for-allegedly-breaking-his-trucks-window

He's considered a hero.

Had it been you or any other non black individual.......branded a racist.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

just wondering.

Don’t put a name to examples. It will soon be reported as fact. 

18 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

At this point it's probably better for all parties. 

(I don't know details of what has or has not transpired; however, if there's this much uproar will they still be able to be students and student-athletes without constant "reminders" that will come ungracefully.) 

Not criticizing your take on this because I totally understand it, but why do we always respond based on the amount of uproar. Because many speakers, and many movements, specialize in maximizing uproar. We tend to misjudge the amount, or the volume, of uproar as indicative of public sentiment. Not always true, and maybe hardly ever true nowadays...

3 minutes ago, Big Lubowski said:

Not criticizing your take on this because I totally understand it, but why do we always respond based on the amount of uproar. Because many speakers, and many movements, specialize in maximizing uproar. We tend to misjudge the amount, or the volume, of uproar as indicative of public sentiment. Not always true, and maybe hardly ever true nowadays...

I agree, but we live in times where fact and logic don’t matter. 

4 minutes ago, Undfan23 said:

From a message posted on twitter (Which I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post) showing a response by Julia Vetter’s sister It would appear the girls took zero responsibility, blamed other people for making fake accounts, and editing the video to make it look like they said racial slurs. That’s a game changer for me! Own it, apologize and maybe the end result is different. But to accuse someone of editing, making up accounts is somewhat far fetched and likely not that difficult to discredit. If that was truly their response, and untrue like I believe it to be, than to let them stay on the team tosses the entire teams integrity right out the window. I cannot imagine that is a team environment that would create much success. A teachable moment is not possible if you lie to avoid accountability, IMO.

Post the twitter message....allowed here.

19 hours ago, Undfan23 said:

From a message posted on twitter (Which I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post) showing a response by Julia Vetter’s sister It would appear the girls took zero responsibility, blamed other people for making fake accounts, and editing the video to make it look like they said racial slurs. That’s a game changer for me! Own it, apologize and maybe the end result is different. But to accuse someone of editing, making up accounts is somewhat far fetched and likely not that difficult to discredit. If that was truly their response, and untrue like I believe it to be, than to let them stay on the team tosses the entire teams integrity right out the window. I cannot imagine that is a team environment that would create much success. A teachable moment is not possible if you lie to avoid accountability, IMO.

The thing is... what if it’s actually true? It’s 2020 and could very easily happen. Now it’s a game of “he said, she said”. 
My thought is if they wrote/said those things then it was stupid of them to do so, but wasn’t malicious enough in nature to ruin a 19 or 20 year old’s life like some people want to do. Everybody in this thread is pretty level headed and not calling for their heads which I think is right. 
On the other hand, if they actually were hacked then this is a sad situation that they can never win without solid proof and their lives just got messed up because of it.
At the end of they day, these girls are going to have hate filled people tracking down everything they’ve ever done and may do in the future and threatening them for something stupid like this. 

56 minutes ago, siouxhockeyaddict said:

Now it’s a game of “he said, she said”. 
My thought is if they wrote/said those things then it was stupid of them to do so, but wasn’t malicious enough in nature to ruin a 19 or 20 year old’s life like some people want to do.

So, you're saying they weren't explicitly quite racist enough when they said the n-word on a video shared by themselves on social media? 

23 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Actually, they do matter. If you use facts and logic, a lot of the time nowadays you are considered racist. 

Being a white male is so tough in American. Combine it with being a Christian, and it's practically the most dangerous minority to be a part of!

11 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Being a white male is so tough in American. Combine it with being a Christian, and it's practically the most dangerous minority to be a part of!

Yes, it’s true. Being a white criminal, you are more likely to be shot and killed by the police during an arrest than a black criminal during an arrest.   
(But don’t let that statistic rain on your violent riots)

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, southpaw said:

So, you're saying they weren't explicitly quite racist enough when they said the n-word on a video shared by themselves on social media? 

Pretty much. I think the word “racist” has been watered down these days to fit whatever narrative people want. Me? If/when I call somebody racist it’s because they are maliciously targeting another race in a hateful way because they genuinely hate said race. A young girl potentially saying it’s funny to make different variations of the word and a 7 second video that cuts in when she says the N-bomb that could have been part of a song (just throwing out possibilities for that one) doesn’t seem racist. It seems young and dumb. 

• Upvote 3

I hope he tried to sit down and have a conversation with her about this, face to face, before going to social media.  Maybe the coaches could have facilitated something like that and everyone would have an opportunity to learn.  

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

To quote Tim Hennessy, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? You feel threatened every day by .......... what?

• Upvote 1