SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2020-21

cberkas

On 4/10/2021 at 6:51 PM, Goon said:

Hey @dustnyou after what I saw in the first period. The Clowns can probably keep those NCAA participation banners in their rafters. They’re toast. 

Ya they were never in that game. I was very impressed with how hard UMASS played. They are very well coached. 

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Let's see how full Mariucci is when they don't have an attendance cap.  

The global pandemic the last three seasons has really hurt attendance there. 

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

Imagine my surprise that the league with most of the largest schools in college hockey have the most teams on this list. 

Which makes it even more surprising that the team that garnered the most attention can't seem to get any of those people to attend their games.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Imagine my surprise that the league with most of the largest schools in college hockey have the most teams on this list. 

It's almost like it aligns to enrollment or alumni populations. Whodathunkit. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2021 at 11:19 PM, siouxforce19 said:

I know Berry wasn’t pleased about the late game but he’s not going to complain about it. 

My whole beef with the situation was that the eastern regional 1 seeds got the early games. But western regional teams got late games.  I think either all 1 seeds should get the early game or they all get the late game. But it should be the same for all regionals. 

The IIHF understands and does it right (and yeah, they do have their version of the Gopher rule):

The host if qualified, or otherwise the best-ranked semi-finalist according to before mentioned criteria, shall play the early game.

In this case host means host country (Latvia).

In NCAA play I'd just go with the "best-ranked" criteria, so the #1 regional seeds would play afternoon games at regionals. 

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2021/wm/standings/playoffs (under "Seeding")

• 3 months later...
On 4/14/2021 at 9:19 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

They hang NCAA tournament appearance banners for each year they are in it.  So you know damn well they will hang a runner up banner.

Why wouldn’t they?  I recall someone here last year poking fun of UMass for hanging a 2nd place banner.  Well, guess what?  That 2nd place experience led to this past season’s championship - minus the best player on the team from the year before.  “Tradition” has to start somewhere.  I would have gladly watched UND play and lose the NCAA title game this past season as opposed to not even making the Frozen Four at all.  How about you?

• Upvote 2