SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2020-21

cberkas

1 minute ago, nodakvindy said:

Maybe it's time to add an off day in the regionals. Would ease the congestion and perhaps help tv coverage. Also a safety issue with OT games. Imagine if the 5OT game had only been a semi. 

Good topic:  How to fix regionals.   The attendance and location part of the topic have gotten lots.  But your point, about when games are played, is a good add.

For example:

Friday: Play four games / two regionals' semifinals

Saturday:  Play four games / two regionals' semifinals

Sunday:  Play two regional finals

Monday: Play two regional finals

And yes, with an off day, game times don't matter, and that 5 OT semifinal is less of a handicap.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

I agree. Makes no sense to have a team who deserves to be a one seed play in the late game. No sense at all 

Not too long ago, you had two 6 team regionals.

Day 1

3 vs. 6 and 4 vs. 5

Day 2

winner vs. #2 and winner vs. #1

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Motzko got this much correct. Protect the regional one-seeds. 

Continuing with that thought, some could argue that once Michgan dropped out then AIC should have played Duluth and Nodak got the bye.

When Michigan was Covid DQ'd, yes, UMD should've been moved to the night game v. AIC. It would be fair as both teams would have equal prep time for that opponent. 

UND, the one-seed, should've been protected and had the bye (as it just happened to work out for BC, but to no avail). 

I’m gonna buck the consensus and prevailing sentiment here and say that while rooting for St Cloud has its own merits, Duluth is the best (only?) choice in Pittsburgh.

If UMD does not win it all, then the absolutely epic battle for the ages in Fargo Saturday night into Sunday morning will have been for naught.  Love or hate the Bulldogs, how can UND fans possibly want any other outcome than having gone toe-to-toe for 6+ hours with the eventual NC? Nothing else will soothe that wound, IMHO.

Besides, as most have noted, it keeps the title in the NCHC for yet another year.

12 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I’m gonna buck the consensus and prevailing sentiment here and say that while rooting for St Cloud has its own merits, Duluth is the best (only?) choice in Pittsburgh.

If UMD does not win it all, then the absolutely epic battle for the ages in Fargo Saturday night into Sunday morning will have been for naught.  Love or hate the Bulldogs, how can UND fans possibly want any other outcome than having gone toe-to-toe for 6+ hours with the eventual NC? Nothing else will soothe that wound, IMHO.

Besides, as most have noted, it keeps the title in the NCHC for yet another year.

I'm gonna disagree on that one, though I may be biased, I understand the whole idea that "if the team that we lost to wins, then we would have won", but really its anyone's guess, I remember seeing a study once where out of all the major team sports hockey was the hardest to predict the outcome because there are so many factors that go into a single game. I will have to cheer for UMD in the semi final, because much as I despise there fans, I despise the teams from New England even more... and the Northeast in general.

On 3/29/2021 at 8:39 AM, Big Green said:

1. SCSU.  Another Title for the greatest Conference and they have never won one before.  After Motzko left for greener pastures it would be nice for them to finally win one.

2. Mankato.  They have been good for a while now.  Still have a soft spot for the WCHA.  Have always liked Mankato even though I've been told UND is the team they hate the most I still can't root against them.

3. Duluth.  Hold my nose.  5th straight title for NCHC, why not?  They seems to figure it out tourney time.  Can't really call them lucky anymore.

4. UMASS.  No Love for any time from Hockey East.

As someone who went to MNSU for grad school, I never got the impression that there was any real hate for UND, I mean we wanted to beat them because if you can beat UND it kind proves your a good team, the hate I saw really was reserved for Minnesota, and then there was kind of a thing with Ferris for a bit but Ferris didn't stay good enough for it to turn into anything good.

• Upvote 2

On 3/31/2021 at 8:09 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Motzko got this much correct. Protect the regional one-seeds. 

Made me wonder why the didn't reseed in the Fargo regional and have UMD and AIC play. You would think UND would have gotten the bye as the number 1 seed. Not saying that would have impacted the outcome at all, I just would have though being the top seed would come with some sort of benefit.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

UMD going out and dropping a loss to Mass would mean nothing for the matchup against UND. Different teams matchup in different ways. There is reason we won the regular season title and the NCHC tourney, but two other NCHC teams are in the Frozen Four. Look at the UND football team ... We smoked SIU, SIU smoked the Bison, the Bison smoked us. Sports are weird. Who brings their game on which night, and who do they play.

I remember UND losing a crazy game to Michigan, where the goalie stood on his head. UND was supposed to win it all that year too. If Michigan beat us, how could they possible lose? Well, they did, to Duluth, for their first NCAA banner.

For me, Duluth has had enough success recently, and I don't want their insufferable fan base (Including Ciskie, RWD or DHG) to have any more for a while. The issue here is I don't want Massachusetts to do well either as they are an East team (though its not BC or BU). At the same time, I've had enough of the "Minnesota Schools" conversation. SCSU is Jan Brady and needs to know their role.

Give me a Massachusetts vs Mankato final, and Go Mavs!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Sure hope someone points out this interesting stat to Pinto. 

I had to look it up to be sure my recollection was as good as yours.  

The guys who stayed are still in the NHL.  Gaudreau 500 games and point-a-game stats.  Nyquist 570 games in the NHL.

The guy who signed, Borgstrom, played 50 games in the NHL and is now playing in Sweden.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Hobey Hat Trick:

Caufield
McKay
Pinto 

If I'm starting an NHL team, I'd start with a two-way center who plays 200 feet, wins faceoffs so we have the puck all night long, strong on his skates, and can score besides.  He might not win the Hobey, but a lot of teams would love to have Pinto on their roster.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, farce poobah said:

If I'm starting an NHL team, I'd start with a two-way center who plays 200 feet, wins faceoffs so we have the puck all night long, strong on his skates, and can score besides.  

Jonathan Toews, eh? ;) 

• Upvote 2

Pinto has had two partial seasons as the number two center. 

A page from the books of Gaudreau and Nyquist (return to NCAA) would not hurt Pinto.

And if @TSNSimmer (the morning host on the radio flagship of the Sens) is pointing that out ... I smile ... a little.