SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2020-21

cberkas

1. SCSU.  Another Title for the greatest Conference and they have never won one before.  After Motzko left for greener pastures it would be nice for them to finally win one.

2. Mankato.  They have been good for a while now.  Still have a soft spot for the WCHA.  Have always liked Mankato even though I've been told UND is the team they hate the most I still can't root against them.

3. Duluth.  Hold my nose.  5th straight title for NCHC, why not?  They seems to figure it out tourney time.  Can't really call them lucky anymore.

4. UMASS.  No Love for any time from Hockey East.

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Time for the annual we aren't there so put in the rankings of who I want to win in order.....sigh.....:lol:

1. Mankato.  Hastings gets so much out of his teams.  Glad they finally got a team to a F4.  Guy deserves it.

2. SCSU.  I guess here because it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they finally got one.  Keeps the title in the NCHC.

3. No school qualifies.

4. UMass.  Playing for the hopes and dreams off all the Eastern hockey people.  They can beat Duluth, and then not win the championship.  

4b. Duluth.  Maybe I should start cheering for them to win.  At some point a bad bounce has to go against them in the postseason right?  Hah, wrong.....

UMass is also public rather than private, which is a bigger deal out east. Private schools in New England lobby to decrease funding to public universities much like how U of M system lobbies to decrease funding to MNSCU system.

With most of the successful east coast schools being private, it brings an undesirable exclusivity to college hockey.

5 hours ago, Prison_Mike said:

I think the Big 10 overall will be getting a reality check when they have to start playing non-conference games again are not judged/ranked by playing each other. 

Maybe the B1G should stop feasting on cupcakes every year, looking at you Penn State.

2 hours ago, Nodaker said:

I'm hoping for a  Duhloot / Mankato final with another shutout for McKay.  Doesn't keep the title in the NCHC but does keep it in the West.

Hoping that the title passing to the team that was beaten in the tournament the year or so before continues on.  We beat Denver in the semifinal and then won our championship, then Denver won the tournament and I believe they beat Duluth.  Then Duluth won a couple times, the last by beating UMass.  Hoping Umass can oust Duluth and then either win or lose to Mankato.  

45 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Odd coincidence of the day.

In 2005, UND won the Regional Beanpot with a combined score of 10-3 over two games.

In 2021, SCSU won their Regional Beanpot with a combined score of, yes, 10-3 over two games.

In 1950, CC did the Beanpot Frozen Four (only four teams) with a combined score of 23-7 over two games

Thoughts on whether or not the NCAA should keep the  teams that lost the regional finals on standby in the event a frozen four team should test positive prior to the start of the frozen four.  I'd hate to see the thing get cancelled or teams getting a bye to the championship game.  With almost 2 weeks in between games, I'd hope the teams are on lockdown.  I also hope they are tested multiple times in case of a positive to rule out any false positives.  At this point, the testing everybody for the sake of testing needs to end and test only if you have symptoms.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, YourInSiouxCountry said:

Thoughts on whether or not the NCAA should keep the  teams that lost the regional finals on standby in the event a frozen four team should test positive prior to the start of the frozen four.  I'd hate to see the thing get cancelled or teams getting a bye to the championship game.  With almost 2 weeks in between games, I'd hope the teams are on lockdown.  I also hope they are tested multiple times in case of a positive to rule out any false positives.  At this point, the testing everybody for the sake of testing needs to end and test only if you have symptoms.  

That is too much common sense for the NCAA.

1 hour ago, YourInSiouxCountry said:

So if one team went out, Minnesota could get back in the tournament?

13 hours ago, YourInSiouxCountry said:

I would have a big problem with letting a team back in that already lost.  They have already established that a team can advance because the other team has Covid issues.  Stop the testing and play the games.

• Upvote 1

After reading all of Eric's tweets on this, Bob making excuses that Brad would never make. Motzko just can't get it done in the NCAA Tournament. UND had no problem beating AIC and going toe to toe with Duluth, where Minnesota beat Omaha then didn't show up against Mankato. Omaha couldn't have took that much out of the Gophers when they stomped them 7-2. I remember during a timeout Motzko just sitting there not talking to the players or making adjustments while down 2-0. 

9 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

I like to snark on Bob Motzko, and everything Rodent, as much as anyone.   

But he does have a point that the #1 seed should play the early game.  

(Of course, out West, Mankato should have been the #1 seed so that one evened out ... :lol:  )

I liked that he complained for UND so we didn’t even have to lift a finger. :lol:

I know Berry wasn’t pleased about the late game but he’s not going to complain about it. 

My whole beef with the situation was that the eastern regional 1 seeds got the early games. But western regional teams got late games.  I think either all 1 seeds should get the early game or they all get the late game. But it should be the same for all regionals. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

I like to snark on Bob Motzko, and everything Rodent, as much as anyone.   

But he does have a point that the #1 seed should play the early game.  

(Of course, out West, Mankato should have been the #1 seed so that one evened out ... :lol:  )

The only reason Wisconsin was the first game is so Bucci could love all over Caulfield.

Minnesota played both late games, Minnesota choked and lost.

Motzko gong to try and get a "Minnesota Rule" for the NCAA's :lol:

Minnesota played all those late Final Five games and never cried about it