SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

Just now, dynato said:

Enlighten me how everything I said is irrelevant and does not to apply to this pandemic just because it was from 2014, a single presidency ago. 

The tweet.  Why bring Trump into it from 2014, nonetheless?

Just now, UND1983 said:

The tweet.  Why bring Trump into it from 2014, nonetheless?

I used our presidents tweet as an anecdote for what we are currently experiencing as it applies directly to our situation. Which you would have understood if you were not so caught up in the fact that it was from 2014. 

1 minute ago, dynato said:

I used our presidents tweet as an anecdote for what we are currently experiencing as it applies directly to our situation. Which you would have understood if you were not so caught up in the fact that it was from 2014. 

can we get Wasmania back here so you two can join up again and out think all of us...please?  

I honestly have no idea how anyone can be mad at Trump at this point.  Even the woke Dems aren't botching about him (as much) anymore.  

The attention should be turned to Burgum and his complete lack of compassion for human life.  

Just now, UND1983 said:

can we get Wasmania back here so you two can join up again and out think all of us...please?  

I honestly have no idea how anyone can be mad at Trump at this point.  Even the woke Dems aren't botching about him (as much) anymore.  

The attention should be turned to Burgum and his complete lack of compassion for human life.  

I am not mad at Trump by any means. Again, you missed the point entirely. 

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Too deep.  I am surface level, brah.  

Trump want quarantine for big bad ebola. Trump Republican. Dems want quarantine for big bad corona. Republicans wanted quarantine, dems want quarantine, quarantine = bipartisan. over-reaction = bipartisan

quarantine remove for ebola, economy recover, world fine
both sides justified

quarantine remove for corona, economy likely recover, world likely fine
both sides justified

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I lost my mother to Alzheimer’s during this pandemic. I had a hospice exception to be with  her in her care facility until she died. (And I believe those exceptions went away shortly after.)

We lose 120,000 Americans annually to Alzheimer’s.

And we know less about cause, prevention, and cure. 

You might catch this virus. It might kill you.

If you have Alzheimer’s, it will kill you. 

My sympathy for you and your family.  Very difficult to see a loved one go through that. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I lost my mother to Alzheimer’s during this pandemic. I had a hospice exception to be with  her in her care facility until she died. (And I believe those exceptions went away shortly after.)

My sympathies to all of you.  I lost my mother to Alzheimer's a few years ago.  It is a horrible disease.

17 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Doesn’t a person just want to get it and get over it and get on with life? Assuming you get over it and live that is.

If I recall, there is some evidence that the damage done from the virus is long term, I assume that is on persons that became severely ill and recovered.

15 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

My condolences on your loss, terrible disease.

56 minutes ago, keikla said:

If not the virus itself, being on a ventilator for any notable length of time (i.e longer than a general surgery procedure) can result in long term damage.  The medications used to support blood pressure can cause long term damage. And so on and so on.  

My niece (intern at a Boston area hospital) says 4 out of 5 do not come off the vent are the numbers they’ve seen. 

9 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

can someone help me make sense of this chart...it's going around the internet saying that the true death count from corona is around 37K?

CDC updated that chart to those numbers late last week. I suspect it has to with “COVID” versus “COVID-related” tracking (my hunch).

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

CDC updated that chart to those numbers late last week. I suspect it has to with “COVID” versus “COVID-related” tracking (my hunch).

so which number should we/media/gov be using?  37k or 65k?

16 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

can someone help me make sense of this chart...it's going around the internet saying that the true death count from corona is around 37K?

There is a time lag between when a death happens, when it is reported, and when the death certificate is officiated. 

The page you are on has numbers based solely on the published death certificates, which according to them lags real time reported deaths.
From the same page: 
*Data during this period are incomplete because of the lag in time between when the death occurred and when the death certificate is completed, submitted to NCHS and processed for reporting purposes. This delay can range from 1 week to 8 weeks or more, depending on the jurisdiction, age, and cause of death.
For example, two weeks ago we were at 35K reported deaths.

Their general overview page includes all deaths marked as corona as they are reported.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

10 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so which number should we/media/gov be using?  37k or 65k?

There’s a good explanation here under the heading “Deaths”.

https://www.health.nd.gov/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/north-dakota-coronavirus-cases

Media is reporting 25; only 16 registered as “COVID” with other listed as COVID as a secondary or contributing and some data pending. 

1 hour ago, keikla said:

There's always going to be contention over the death numbers and how they are determined.  If we know that covid creates a hypercoaguable state, and a patient with covid dies from a pulmonary embolism (with no previous related conditions or issues), did the patient die from covid?

Interestingly enough, CDC has put together an attempt to quantify the deaths of covid by looking at total deaths regardless of cause. They are finding that the USA is experiencing 22-36% more deaths than normal on a weekly basis. And this excludes NYC data. They suggest this is an indicator of the true burden of mortality potentially related to COVID-19.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm 

This is a multi-factor, multi-dimensional problem, a classic MIMO system to the controls engineers out there. One-dimensional linear thinking will not get us out of this. 

If you want to say lock down, flatten, and protect health care infrastructures, and nothing else, you’re one dimensional. 

If you want to say open it all up and let ‘er buck, and nothing else, you’re one dimensional. 

Governor Bergum is thinking multi-dimensionally and he deserves credit for that. Will he make some mistakes on the way? Yes. But I’d rather that than him locked into “we’re doing this and only this” immovable one dimensional thought. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

ND had 38 new positives on 1806 tests.

The fact there is still a daily count of positives at this stage tells you everything you need to know about the narrative the local media is pushing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

The fact there is still a daily count of positives at this stage tells you everything you need to know about the narrative the local media is pushing.

Click cla click click click

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

The fact there is still a daily count of positives at this stage tells you everything you need to know about the narrative the local media is pushing that if you go outside you will DIE!

35 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

This is a multi-factor, multi-dimensional problem, a classic MIMO system to the controls engineers out there. One-dimensional linear thinking will not get us out of this. 

If you want to say lock down, flatten, and protect health care infrastructures, and nothing else, you’re one dimensional. 

If you want to say open it all up and let ‘er buck, and nothing else, you’re one dimensional. 

Governor Bergum is thinking multi-dimensionally and he deserves credit for that. Will he make some mistakes on the way? Yes. But I’d rather that than him locked into “we’re doing this and only this” immovable one dimensional thought. 

There’s so many variables, including temporal...it’s like the fog of war...got be flexible.  They should be looking for signal intelligence that can help them pivot.

Current ND numbers:

Ages 1-39: 660 known cases, 0 deaths.

Ages 40-69: 424 known cases, 3 deaths (.7% mortality rate, although may prove to be significantly lower once antibody tests show true infection rate).

Ages 70-plus: 107 known cases, 22 deaths (20.6% mortality rate).

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, UND92,96 said:

Current ND numbers:

Ages 1-39: 660 known cases, 0 deaths.

Ages 40-69: 424 known cases, 3 deaths (.7% mortality rate, although may prove to be significantly lower once antibody tests show true infection rate).

Ages 70-plus: 107 known cases, 22 deaths (20.6% mortality rate).

two more weeks!

• Upvote 1