SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

3 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

That's great news, let me share it with everyone I know who works in a hospital or long term care setting.

Can you tell me the last time the flu killed 60,000 people in the US in one month?

i think the cdc says 37k now.

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

put em on here so everyone can hold you accountable.  remember we are a community and your actions could kill anyone of us on here if you drive recklessly.

Feel free to call me in if I'm driving recklessly, am leaking any fluids, or dropping nails on the road. I'm all for safer driving.

Is wearing a mask inside a place of business really that big of a deal; especially considering it’s only a temporary inconvenience?

Almost every store requires patrons to wear a shirt and shoes (for health reasons).  I don’t see anyone complaining about that, or refusing to shop at establishments that require as such.

Seems to me, people's refusal to wear a mask is a political statement more than it is a decision guided by potential health risk.  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Feel free to call me in if I'm driving recklessly, am leaking any fluids, or dropping nails on the road. I'm all for safer driving.

with all the people that die each from car accidents i hope you are serious.

1 minute ago, TheFlop said:

Unless you are elderly, or have pre-existing health conditions, it is.....and for those falling into that category Covid 19 is just one of many situations that they constantly need to be aware of and make their own decisions as to how to balance their  personal safety with living life.  My elderly parents attend church.  During the peak of flu season they don't attend church for a period of time.  They don't expect the world to grind to a halt to accommodate them.  Not sure why so many have such a hard time grasping the concept.

If you look at the quantities of Americans who have pre-existing and chronic health conditions, you would find they hold the majority. Your logic would dictate they are the ones in charge and should decide what the minority should do. So just keep in mind it is not just some small quantity of people who will be impacted and need to just watch out for others.

https://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/resources/infographic/chronic-diseases.htm

13 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

What do you have against wearing a mask to protect others? If you see me speeding feel free to call me in. Difference is I'm not calling you in....but I'll call you out.

If 80 percent of people are going to get this, at what point do you just let nature take it's course and get herd immunity.   Even if people wear masks all the time, it can spread from someone touching something.   With all the precautions we have taken to protect the vulnerable and all of the measures taken in assisted living facilities, we still have 70 percent of deaths coming from those facilities, so why is that?    Perhaps all the measures taken don't work, including masks.  What if there was a study that said wearing masks is making you more vulnerable for a second wave of this and the flu in the fall because people need to be exposed to germs to keep their immune system in tact.  I guarantee that my immune system would not be near as good as it was a few months ago when I was going to the gym, thus eating better and getting out of the house.   Add to the fact that so many people are so stressed about getting this, which only adds to immunity issues. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Is wearing a mask inside a place of business really that big of a deal; especially considering it’s only a temporary inconvenience?

Almost every store requires patrons to wear a shirt and shoes (for health reasons).  I don’t see anyone complaining about that.

Seems to me, the refusal to wear a mask is a political statement more so than a decision guided by health risk.  

the reason most people refuse to wear a mask is bc the numbers aren't matching up to reality...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

That's great news, let me share it with everyone I know who works in a hospital or long term care setting.

Can you tell me the last time the flu killed 60,000 people in the US in one month?

Can you tell me the last flu season during which so much emphasis was placed on determining whether the person that died with pneumonia......may have also had the flu?  Or that the 70 year old person with a history of heart disease.....dies of a heart attack......but it was classified as a flu death because someone he knew had the flu?

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

with all the people that die each from car accidents i hope you are serious.

Dead serious. Thanks for looking out we need more people policing this. Don't feel like a snitch, dispatch would love to take the info you provide to make the roads a safer place.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, dynato said:

If you look at the quantities of Americans who have pre-existing and chronic health conditions, you would find they hold the majority. Your logic would dictate they are the ones in charge and should decide what the minority should do. So just keep in mind it is not just some small quantity of people who will be impacted and need to just watch out for others.

https://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/resources/infographic/chronic-diseases.htm

C'mon....put a little more effort in than that.  Not all chronic underlying conditions put someone at a higher risk. 

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

If 80 percent of people are going to get this, at what point do you just let nature take it's course and get herd immunity.   Even if people wear masks all the time, it can spread from someone touching something.   With all the precautions we have taken to protect the vulnerable and all of the measures taken in assisted living facilities, we still have 70 percent of deaths coming from those facilities, so why is that?    Perhaps all the measures taken don't work, including masks.  What if there was a study that said wearing masks is making you more vulnerable for a second wave of this and the flu in the fall because people need to be exposed to germs to keep their immune system in tact.  I guarantee that my immune system would not be near as good as it was a few months ago when I was going to the gym, thus eating better and getting out of the house.   Add to the fact that so many people are so stressed about getting this, which only adds to immunity issues. 

well said...you starve your immune system right now of the "good" germs who know what happens later this fall or winter...

2 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Can you tell me the last flu season during which so much emphasis was placed on determining whether the person that died with pneumonia......may have also had the flu?  Or that the 70 year old person with a history of heart disease.....dies of a heart attack......but it was classified as a flu death because someone he knew had the flu?

You do realize the CDC has made clear that they haven't changed how they classify deaths right? But yeah sure they are doing this to pad the covid numbers, under Trump!

13 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i think the cdc says 37k now.

The CDC clearly outlines what the 37K number means in the very first paragraph and outline why it is low in the footnotes. It's not a smoking gun by any means.

5 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

C'mon....put a little more effort in than that.  Not all chronic underlying conditions put someone at a higher risk. 

No no no, how about you prove to us all that they are not at higher risk. So far, everyone has used the argument of pre-existing conditions without having any understanding of them in order to suggest they should not have to take corona seriously. 

1 minute ago, Redneksioux said:

You do realize the CDC has made clear that they haven't changed how they classify deaths right? But yeah sure they are doing this to pad the covid numbers, under Trump!

hurricane in puerto rico..."well that went better than expected...only 67 people die....I'll call Washington and thank President Obama..Wait!!!!! he's not president anymore....when you call trump make sure it's 67,000 people!"

yeah..politics.

7 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Flu deaths are calculated almost the same way Covid is.  

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/how-cdc-estimates.htm

• Upvote 1

Just now, dynato said:

Must be nice not knowing how to read. The CDC clearly outlines what the 37K number means in the very first paragraph and outline why it is low in the footnotes. It's not a smoking gun by any means.

No no no, how about you prove to us all that they are not at higher risk. So far, everyone has used the argument of pre-existing conditions without having any understanding of them in order to suggest they should not have to take corona seriously. 

So we have to take the advice from medical folks that masks should be worn as gospel but when it comes to the medical folks that say the elderly and those with certain underlying conditions are by far the most affected, we need to discard that advice.  Got it.  

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

Isn't that basically where we are now, and going for herd immunity?

Unfortunately we don't know anything about herd immunity with this virus. It's been around for a few months and we don't know that you catch it and are now immune. We don't know the affects this has on your long term health if you catch it. We don't really need to get into the benefits of wearing or not wearing a mask on your health. It's well known that you wear a mask to prevent droplets from spreading to another others. You can take it a step further and protect yourself by wearing a N95 mask, if you can get one. You'd think if processed meats are considered essential under the defense act that having an adequate PPE supply nationwide would be as well, but the world works in funny ways.

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

hurricane in puerto rico..."well that went better than expected...only 67 people die....I'll call Washington and thank President Obama..Wait!!!!! he's not president anymore....when you call trump make sure it's 67,000 people!"

yeah..politics.

I'll take the CDC's word for it over Alex Berensen any day.

5 hours ago, TheFlop said:

I'll play along, in your mind at what stat/threshold/measurement would you consider it ok for people to no longer wear masks?

Keeping in mind UND 92,96's informative post showing that from ages 1-69 ND has had a total of 3 deaths. 

That does not mean the are not carring the virus.

I'll play along, in your mind at what stat/threshold/measurement would you consider it ok for people to no longer wear masks?

Keeping in mind UND 92,96's informative post showing that from ages 1-69 ND has had a total of 3 deaths. 

That does not equate to them not spreading the virus.

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

define "almost"...and is that with or without a republican in the white house?

Read the link.  CDC method of calculating the flu and Covid are very similar.  

Why doesn’t CDC base its seasonal flu mortality estimates only on death certificates that specifically list influenza?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/how-cdc-estimates.htm

2 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

So we have to take the advice from medical folks that masks should be worn as gospel but when it comes to the medical folks that say the elderly and those with certain underlying conditions are by far the most affected, we need to discard that advice.  Got it.  

Changing the subject does not count as proof

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic