SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

We're inching closer to having two economies:  a mask-required one and a mask-free one.  People can speak with their wallets, and I have to wonder how long the mask-required businesses will hold out if a sufficient number of people flock to the others.

I've seen nothing that would cause me to wear a mask 99% of the time, but if a particular transaction is essential to me, I may bite the bullet. But that thing is coming off the millisecond it is no longer "required." And I will go out of my way to shop mask-free, if that's what it comes to.

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

We're inching closer to having two economies:  a mask-required one and a mask-free one.  People can speak with their wallets, and I have to wonder how long the mask-required businesses will hold out if a sufficient number of people flock to the others.

I've seen nothing that would cause me to wear a mask 99% of the time, but if a particular transaction is essential to me, I may bite the bullet. But that thing is coming off the millisecond it is no longer "required." And I will go out of my way to shop mask-free, if that's what it comes to.

Just out of curiosity, what's the main issue for you here? Do you not buy that wearing a mask would prevent you from spreading the virus if you had it? Or are you just assuming you don't have it and don't care? The mask thing really only works if everyone buys in and it seems like we're clearly not there.

I'm not trying to be snarky here i'm just legitimately curious about your rationale. Even if it's not required I've been wearing them when shopping and will likely continue to do so for the time being. But maybe i'm being too naive/cautious. I don't know.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

Just out of curiosity, what's the main issue for you here? Do you not buy that wearing a mask would prevent you from spreading the virus if you had it? Or are you just assuming you don't have it and don't care? The mask thing really only works if everyone buys in and it seems like we're clearly not there.

I'm not trying to be snarky here i'm just legitimately curious about your rationale. Even if it's not required I've been wearing them when shopping and will likely continue to do so for the time being. But maybe i'm being too naive/cautious. I don't know.

The human immune system has been doing its thing quite nicely for thousands of years, and I for one am not going to give up on it.  If I am meant to die from this virus, so be it.  Masks are a choice I’m not willing to make.

32 minutes ago, keikla said:

It will be interesting to see the rates of antibodies in NYS healthcare workers.  That testing is already underway.

I am hoping I can take this test, too. I don't know if we can get the test in Grand Forks, ND. 

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I've been working this whole time and the amount of people not wearing/using their masks and gloves correctly is hysterical.  

I noticed the same thing yesterday, people not covering their noise. Having it hanging on their chin. Etc. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I've been working this whole time and the amount of people not wearing/using their masks and gloves correctly is hysterical.  

It's comical from a mask standpoint.  The wearing of gloves is a complete waste of time. Saw a lady this morning wearing what looked similar to one of those little square Chinese food take out boxes with strings attached. Of course didn't even cover her nose.

My main concern with the masks is that people will feel they don’t have to social distance while wearing one.  IMO social distancing will have a much greater effect of reducing transmission than wearing a mask. 

• Upvote 2

i saw three guys walk in wearing their masks and then take them off while in the store and then treat them like hankies...swingin' them around by the index finger...one put it in his pocket while in the store...then while leaving all three put em back on...?

27 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

The human immune system has been doing its thing quite nicely for thousands of years, and I for one am not going to give up on it.  If I am meant to die from this virus, so be it.  Masks are a choice I’m not willing to make.

Make that decision for yourself. It's too bad that your poor decisions will affect others.

Don't be that guy - Pence at Mayo.

15 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

My main concern with the masks is that people will feel they don’t have to social distance while wearing one.  IMO social distancing will have a much greater effect of reducing transmission than wearing a mask. 

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

I agree though. I think the masks give people a false sense of security.

Yesterday I was out getting groceries and (in small town Minnesota) there are probably about 20% that wear masks.  Out of the roughly 20 people I saw in masks, three were wearing them just over their mouths, and I did see one additional woman whose phone rang and she took her mask down to answer the phone and talk to the person for a couple minutes.

Personally, the thing about the stay at home and wearing masks and everything - I think we're setting ourselves up so that regular sicknesses (flu, cold, etc) are that much worse because our immune system will be weakened, and we'll see those regular occurrences get worse in the future.  I want as many germs as possible to keep myself strong.  Additionally, I worry about how many people will die because of issues due to the shutdown, whether by suicide, domestic violence, etc.  So it's not that I don't care about people getting sick, it's that all you hear is about the impact on just this one thing, not the potential of everything else that could happen because of our reaction.  Additionally, no one knows the truth about, well, really anything related to this.  We know it's bad and is very infectious.  But the "Died of" vs "Died with" is such a grey area, and seems like it is being done to influence the public rather than really understand the truth.

One thing that really bothers me are the amount of people that say "if you don't wear a mask / go to protests, you should sign away any possibility of getting healthcare if you're sick".  I asked someone who had a similar comment how many times they'd been to the store or work where they maybe had a touch of the flu or something else.  They asked what that mattered.  I told them that it's possible that when they were out and about with that they could have passed it on to someone who could have either died from it, or passed it on to someone who died from it, etc.  They said "well that's different".  I asked how, and of course it was just a bunch of stammering that turned into Trump and Nazis.  Which brings me to my next point......

The other thing that completely turns me off from this current stay at home madness, is how political it has gotten.  Here in Minnesota, there was something in the house I believe, that was a vote about starting to re-open the state, and it was completely along party lines.  That is ridiculous to me.  The political climate in this country is so bad, and both sides absolutely suck.  So many brainwashed people on both sides of the aisle.  Why can't we figure out what makes sense for the good of everyone??  Why does the entire state of Minnesota have to shut down, when most cases are in the metro counties and over by Worthington?  Can't our leaders here figure out something that isn't an all or nothing?  

Maybe I'm wrong and don't know what I'm talking about.  Maybe a lot of people feel the same.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

I agree though. I think the masks give people a false sense of security.

Masks are the respiratory pathogen equivalent of climbing under your desk during a nuclear attack.  The government isn't always providing information that will actually save your life, they just want you to feel better about your predicament in the meantime.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

"Make that decision."  "Don't be that guy."

Which is it?  Is it my choice, or yours?

For now it's your choice. 

If you are in Grand Forks and shop at Hugo's, they are asking you to wear a mask. If you really disagree with that request, buy your groceries from somewhere else.

33 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

For now it's your choice. 

If you are in Grand Forks and shop at Hugo's, they are asking you to wear a mask. If you really disagree with that request, buy your groceries from somewhere else.

hey rednecksioux...what model of car do you drive and what's your license plate number...i see you going 1mph over the speed limit i'm gonna go full karen on you for being so damn selfish.

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Yet they remain uninfected.

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

hey rednecksioux...what model of car do you drive and what's your license plate number...i see you going 1mph over the speed limit i'm gonna go full karen on you for being so damn selfish.

What do you have against wearing a mask to protect others? If you see me speeding feel free to call me in. Difference is I'm not calling you in....but I'll call you out.

9 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Once again....one of the few businesses that stayed open and busy throughout the ongoing apocalypse......grocery stores.  Old people....middle aged people....kids....etc all continued to visit and walk by each other closer than 6 feet....many not wearing masks and most of the people that were wearing masks not doing so correctly.......and yet in ND still only 3 people have died under the age of 69 over the last 3-4 months (whatever you consider the start date).

I'd agree that many could use some training on hygiene and mask wearing skills. 

Thankfully this thing is in our rear view mirror eh? 

10 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

What do you have against wearing a mask to protect others? If you see me speeding feel free to call me in. Difference is I'm not calling you in....but I'll call you out.

you still didn't answer the question.

Just now, Redneksioux said:

I'd agree that many could use some training on hygiene and mask wearing skills. 

Thankfully this thing is in our rear view mirror eh? 

Unless you are elderly, or have pre-existing health conditions, it is.....and for those falling into that category Covid 19 is just one of many situations that they constantly need to be aware of and make their own decisions as to how to balance their  personal safety with living life.  My elderly parents attend church.  During the peak of flu season they don't attend church for a period of time.  They don't expect the world to grind to a halt to accommodate them.  Not sure why so many have such a hard time grasping the concept.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Redneksioux said:

You want my plates? feel free to pm me.

put em on here so everyone can hold you accountable.  remember we are a community and your actions could kill anyone of us on here if you drive recklessly.

1 minute ago, TheFlop said:

Unless you are elderly, or have pre-existing health conditions, it is.....and for those falling into that category Covid 19 is just one of many situations that they constantly need to be aware of and make their own decisions as to how to balance their  personal safety with living life.  My elderly parents attend church.  During the peak of flu season they don't attend church for a period of time.  They don't expect the world to grind to a halt to accommodate them.  Not sure why so many have such a hard time grasping the concept.

That's great news, let me share it with everyone I know who works in a hospital or long term care setting.

Can you tell me the last time the flu killed 60,000 people in the US in one month?