SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

29 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

That's great news, let me share it with everyone I know who works in a hospital or long term care setting.

Can you tell me the last time the flu killed 60,000 people in the US in one month?

It hasn't been one month and nobody knows how many actually died FROM Covid.  

If you have zero reason to believe that you are shedding virus, and you are not invading the personal space of someone vulnerable, I don’t see why you’d wear a mask to go about your daily business.  By this logic we’d be asking people to wear masks anytime there’s an environmental pathogen that could kill...Flu? Measles? Cold Sores?  

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Read the link.  CDC method of calculating the flu and Covid are very similar.  

Why doesn’t CDC base its seasonal flu mortality estimates only on death certificates that specifically list influenza?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/how-cdc-estimates.htm

My question would be....and I'm guessing it wouldn't be easy to get a candid answer is as follows.  Doctors aren't machines, they are human too.  It is human nature to notice something more.....when it is an area of emphasis.  Covid-19 by any account is under a microscope right now.  Would this same level of attention to a flu season result in higher numbers of deaths being attributed to the flu?

Here is the COVID case fatality rate vs the the 2017-18 flu case fatality rate (the worst flu in recent history). All this data is pulled from the CDC. I've also included data from NYC.gov specifically as a frame of reference. To me, this shows NYC is slowing down, but to also proceed with caution. 

Note: if you do not trust the CDC's numbers for flu or covid just ignore this. 
XynfarP.png

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

That's a completely different topic and world.  Why are you talking about that?

You asked me why I don't believe him. I don't read anything he writes because I have no interest in his writing. I'm honestly shocked I took the time to respond.

5 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

My question would be....and I'm guessing it wouldn't be easy to get a candid answer is as follows.  Doctors aren't machines, they are human too.  It is human nature to notice something more.....when it is an area of emphasis.  Covid-19 by any account is under a microscope right now.  Would this same level of attention to a flu season result in higher numbers of deaths being attributed to the flu?

A question probably better directed at someone on the front lines in the health field.   keikla would be a good candidate to answer this.  

6 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

That's a completely different topic and world.  Why are you talking about that?

What is Alex Berenson's credentials for writing about this?  He isn't a doctor, an epidemiologist, nor even a particularly well-sourced and thorough reporter.   He's just a guy who writes bad novels and posts what you like to hear on Twitter.  Why should I trust any random weirdo on the internet over the experts at the CDC, WHO, etc.?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

You asked me why I don't believe him. I don't read anything he writes because I have no interest in his writing. I'm honestly shocked I took the time to respond.

I am too, you are pretty important.  Make sure to keep ignoring all you disagree with.

2 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

What is Alex Berenson's credentials for writing about this?  He isn't a doctor, an epidemiologist, nor even a particularly well-sourced and thorough reporter.   He's just a guy who writes bad novels and posts what you like to hear on Twitter.  Why should I trust any random weirdo on the internet over the experts at the CDC, WHO, etc.?

What is he writing that isn't necessarily true?  He is just taking the other side and using data to support his side. 

The CDC and WHO have been all over the place on this with their data and interpretations so I am not sure why they are the gospel.  They provide info...Berenson is covering how the cities and states are reacting to that info.  You may not like it but it doesn't mean he cannot have a point.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, dynato said:

Here is the COVID case fatality rate vs the the 2017-18 flu case fatality rate (the worst flu in recent history). All this data is pulled from the CDC. I've also included data from NYC.gov specifically as a frame of reference. To me, this shows NYC is slowing down, but to also proceed with caution. 

Note: if you do not trust the CDC's numbers for flu or covid just ignore this. 
XynfarP.png

From or with?  Or both?

2 minutes ago, dynato said:

Read the note

I asked from or with, not that hard of a question. I realize you didn't understand it last time I brought it up when you gave out an ill-advised lecture about credibility (ironic) but it should be clear now.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

I asked from or with, not that hard of a question. I realize you didn't understand it last time I brought it up when you gave out an ill-advised lecture about credibility (ironic) but it should be clear now.  

It's not a question worth answering if you are going to completely disregard the numbers no matter which way they are reported. According to the CDC, the deaths are an accumulation of death reports from every health jurisdiction. The CDC and health jurisdictions label it as from. The CDC also states that while there are concerns for over counting, the united states is facing 22-36% excess deaths not attributed to corona, an indicator of corona actually being heavily under counted in our health care systems. Again, you either trust the CDC and the health jurisdiction method of reporting deaths or you can continue to ignore this. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

If you have zero reason to believe that you are shedding virus, and you are not invading the personal space of someone vulnerable, I don’t see why you’d wear a mask to go about your daily business.  By this logic we’d be asking people to wear masks anytime there’s an environmental pathogen that could kill...Flu? Measles? Cold Sores?  

There is no reason you should have zero reason that you are not shedding the virus.  Unless you were recently tested negative for the virus and subsequently had contact with anyone you could have the virus.

2 minutes ago, Old Fella said:

There is no reason you should have zero reason that you are not shedding the virus.  Unless you were recently tested negative for the virus and subsequently had contact with anyone you could have the virus.

This is why I prefer non-shedding dogs.   No shed no spread.  

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Old Fella said:

Should I wear a condom with my wife too?  I could have Hepatitis? I haven't been tested in a long time...I mean can never be too safe right?  

This isn't the holy angel of death people.   

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

I'll take the CDC's word for it over Alex Berensen any day.

CDC data shows February 1 thru May 2 (3 months) 740000 people in this country have died. Death happens. Just saying.