SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

At what point can I say the country is overreacting?

I think everyone is doing what they feel is the best interest of people’s health.  The virus seems to be spreading fast and the more cases that occur the faster it will spread.  A certain percent of cases (15% ?) will need hospital care and for some intensive care.  There won’t be enough space for all.   If we can do something to mitigate the spread then we should error on the side of caution.

I say this as someone who is currently having to self isolate because I came into contact with someone who tested positive for Coronavirus. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

With the NBA suspending their season I don’t see any way the NCAA will be able to justify holding their tourneys.  They will see too much risk in sending players across the country. 

Time to call it a season and award the championship according to the PairWise.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

With the NBA suspending their season I don’t see any way the NCAA will be able to justify holding their tourneys.  They will see too much risk in sending players across the country. 

Suspend is different than cancelling though. The NBA can just suspend for a few weeks and then resume. Could the NCAA do that? Maybe, but rescheduling all the arenas would be harder than the NBA just continuing their seasons in their own arenas. 
Crazy times. 

44 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

If we can do something to mitigate the spread then we should error on the side of caution.

I say this as someone who is currently having to self isolate because I came into contact with someone who tested positive for Coronavirus. 

But two teams playing against each other (no fans) has to be like bottom of the barrel stuff.

40 people in one spot? A hundred? The same amount of people at an average job?

More people will walk through the Mall of America this weekend than would come in contact with each other if the NBA played the rest of their games?

NHL is next.

NCAA sports will then be targeted.

IMHO there is now a 65% chance this weekends games will be the last NCAA games of the year.

If so.... UND must win the CC series, in 3 games if neccessary, but if they lose 2.

They likely drop to 2 in PWR.

Is the national champion declared via PWR??..... or coaches poll??.... or not at all???

If a tournamentless champion IS crowned... is it legitimate?  Do we (or god forbid Mankato) hamg the banner?

Watdafuk happened today??????

1 minute ago, rochsioux said:

The snowball is now an avalanche.  We may have seen the last college hockey game of the season. 

I think theres too much in motion to actually cuttail all games this weekend, but after sunday, the season is IMHO over.

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Nebraska basketball team quarantined at the Big 10 tourney because Hoiberg wasn't feeling well.

I have never seen a day like this in my life.  Ever.  

ESPN and others reporting that he was sent home from the hospital after an influenza A diagnosis. The team is no longer quarantined.

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I think theres too much in motion to actually cuttail all games this weekend, but after sunday, the season is IMHO over.

Today the government put pressure on all large gatherings to stop and set the tone.
Tomorrow they move to not so large gatherings to stop, with sports seen as an unnecessary function in these trying times, even if without fans.
Very limited visits to over crowded hospitals, care facilities, homes, etc.
Schools & U's?
Plains, trains, and people walking on the streets?

Gas prices are falling with crude oil flooding the market last week, this week the consumer demand for oil will start to shrink.
Circuit Breakers trip on Wall Street.
MBB gets to Summit final.
Interest rates near an all time low.
WBB looking for a coach.
Summer is on the way for most of the country.

When we finished the fist half of the hockey season and looked to our future into that glass ball, anybody see this scenario?
How good it could of been? 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Cratter said:

At what point can I say the country is overreacting?

Gotta wait til everything is cancelled?

Two teams can't even play against each other now.

Once you take away any sense of joy, hope, peace, normalcy and safety from an individual they start to become desperate. Do that to an entire nation over an extended period of time........

I talked to colleagues.....an internist and a pulmonologist yesterday. Both way smarter than me. "Overblown" is the term used repeatedly. Maybe they are right.....maybe not.

IMO the secondary ramifications of this crisis on our society and country will dwarf the infectious issues caused by the virus itself.

Look at Tom Hanks........he isn't dead. He is going to start filming Cast Away 2 today, this time with a basketball courtesy of the NBA, since he'll be in quarantine. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Unfortunately I don’t see how any hockey or basketball tourneys are going to work.  As soon as one player tests positive, that team will be quarantined and done.  

So where does end?? At what point are we not able to do anything from a social interaction standpoint? If you are anxious, depressed or scared the last thing one needs is to be totally isolated unnecessarily? Those mental health issues spread within someone faster than this virus.

• Upvote 2

BTW can the government just cancel the flood season in the RRV while they are at it? Let's not forget that issue for those who are going to have to deal with that tangibly.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

Sources say all student athletes have been fitted with their own bubble suits. May play in them. 

image.jpeg.0627e9d72e1c01741ce2daf926e7cae7.jpeg

Too late.  The UMD and Omaha athletic departments bought every last suit to protect their players from the green bullies.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Unfortunately I don’t see how any hockey or basketball tourneys are going to work.  As soon as one player tests positive, that team will be quarantined and done.  

At this point of shared hysteria..... 

This is the case, I knew sports in general only had until the 1st athlete was confirmed with it. NHL WILL suspend today, NCAA will suspend all by Mondaybat the latest.

Just now, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Trading halted after stocks plunge on virus fears. 
Some credit cards are rapidly being run up.

I made sure to stock up on essentials like Pop Tarts, Cheetos, and Ben & Jerry’s. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

So where does end?? At what point are we not able to do anything from a social interaction standpoint? If you are anxious, depressed or scared the last thing one needs is to be totally isolated unnecessarily? Those mental health issues spread within someone faster than this virus.

I agree. Just was stating what’s probably going to happen...

All we have to fear, is fear itse- oh, and corona.