SiouxSports.com Forum

Most Hated Opponent

SiouxFan100

I remember when Gabinet took the Omaha job he talked about how important culture is, and that is what they were going to create.  From the outside looking in, I think the type of culture he is creating, can only make them worse. When you have a player absolutely tackle a guy by wrapping both arms around him, then shrug as to why he received a penalty, there is no accountability.  

• Upvote 4

On 2/12/2020 at 7:28 AM, MafiaMan said:

#5.  Train Wreck.  Ever seen these goons play?  Watching Godsmack clown it up on the ice makes me want to punch a baby.  Their 1st line center once slew-footed his own 8 year old kid in a father-son game.  Sheesh.

#4.  St Cloud State.  I think I’ll wear a red MAGA hat there this year along with my SIOUX jersey.  That should really help rile up the protesters.

#3.  Boston College.  This smug bunch of choir boys deserves to get their collective asses kicked every time they step on the ice.

#2.  Minnesota-Duluth.  Where do we start with this one?  From Ciskie and DrunkHockeyGuy to the weekly diving contests the fans are subjected to...oh, not to mention that Herter and Sandelin have totally turned to the dark side of the force.

#1.  Minnesota.  From the 40something fan who poked my then 7-8 year old in the chest at the X while yelling, “Sioux suck!” at him to the Gopher goons who caused $3,000 worth of damage to my new 2010 Ford Escape while it was parked at the Victory Ramp years ago - all punishment for the crime of me wearing a Sioux jersey and parking next to you...I don’t need any reasons other than these.  Hands down winner.

Some greasy fingered gopher fan touches my kid like that and I'd do him the favor of knocking the rest of his teeth out. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I have a tough time hating MTU under almost any circumstance.  And I remember during the 70s when they were big, fast, and very good.  Might have hated them then, but now I only think how they deserve respect for the program's rich past. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, snova4 said:

Some greasy fingered gopher fan touches my kid like that and I'd do him the favor of knocking the rest of his teeth out. 

Oh believe me, I was well on my way to doing just that until one of St Paul’s finest grabbed ME and told me to “let it go.”  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tnt said:

I remember when Gabinet took the Omaha job he talked about how important culture is, and that is what they were going to create.  From the outside looking in, I think the type of culture he is creating, can only make them worse. When you have a player absolutely tackle a guy by wrapping both arms around him, then shrug as to why he received a penalty, there is no accountability.  

Pinto took a shot from the slot and they had a guy who skated 20 feet after the whistle to get in his face.....Pinto didn't attack the cage....he was just standing there literally doing nothing.

Watching his guys clown around and take runs at Michaud, Pinto, and Senden and to have the audacity to not shake hands with our coaches.

Your team is top ten in penalty minutes for a reason.  It starts at the top.  Go ahead and blame the second to last penalized team in the NCHC and top five scoring team in the nation for your guys playing undisciplined.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Pinto took a shot from the slot and they had a guy who skated 20 feet after the whistle to get in his face.....Pinto didn't attack the cage....he was just standing there literally doing nothing.

I don't think that happened.  According to UNO fans and Gabinet, UND was the one instigating all the physical and borderline dirty play.

FOUR CONCUSSIONS!! 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, burd said:

I have a tough time hating MTU under almost any circumstance.  And I remember during the 70s when they were big, fast, and very good.  Might have hated them then, but now I only think how they deserve respect for the program's rich past. 

I'd like to see them win a National Title again. 

• Upvote 2

Duluth. Period. Wolff needs his teeth rearranged. Somebody should pick Perunovich up by the ankles and beat Wolff with him. Can’t hate the Mavs, they’re  just trying to get over the hump. Impatience is their only crime. Young team, coach can’t control what happens on the ice, unless you blame Berry for Pinto’s majors. Other than that, want to hate Denver, but they have class. This year, not so much, but same as Omaha, fighting for their lives.

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

So why won't Michigan schedule UND?

I guess I don't really care if UND play Michigan. 

That was a Red Berenson thing I thought...we used to play them all the time when they were in the WCHA.

On 2/11/2020 at 12:49 PM, GoalieMask said:

1. Minnesota - I think it all started with Mazako and Woog and their elitist bull$h!t. 

2. St. Clown - wannabe institution and their fans/program seem to think they are among NCAA’s best.  A few years back in a press release they edited out the Sioux logo on the front of a jersey to make a political point.  People don’t forget. 

3. Michigan - see Frozen Four 2011, still the toughest loss I have endured as a fan. That and what seemed like Red’s refusal time schedule regular season games with UND

i should “hate” Denver and Duluth but I don’t.  They are programs I respect as they field good teams and make for great games to watch. I have always had a soft spot for CC. 

Also Michigan for the 1998 NCAA tourney loss. A 30-7-1 Fighting Sioux team had to play the Wolverines at Yost Ice Arena in the national tournament with a trip to the Frozen Four on the line.

And this guy had tickets to the Frozen Four (Boston) and had to watch Michigan win the whole thing. Ugh.

Dave

3 hours ago, Dave Berger said:

Also Michigan for the 1998 NCAA tourney loss. A 30-7-1 Fighting Sioux team had to play the Wolverines at Yost Ice Arena in the national tournament with a trip to the Frozen Four on the line.

And this guy had tickets to the Frozen Four (Boston) and had to watch Michigan win the whole thing. Ugh.

Dave

You know that Michigan loss in '98 is all Mafia's fault.  Now what was that line he said directly into the camera?:huh:

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

You know that Michigan loss in '98 is all Mafia's fault.  Now what was that line he said directly into the camera?:huh:

1 hour ago, Sweethockey said:

I believe it was "Hi mom!"

I only wish I had said that.  Had I done so, there would no doubt be another banner in the rafters at REA and North Dakota would have been back-to-back national champions in 1997 and 1998.  Groan...

Can't wait for @Goon to yell out during "Sioux fan storytime" at the Hogg in less than two weeks, "Hey, Mafia, tell the one about how you cost us the national championship in 1998!" 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

Easy, Michigan. 1998 and 2011 especially,  but more the fact they simply won't play us. 

Denver, BC, Minnesota... all tough opponents but I respect their programs and history.  

Have to disagree with you on Minnesota. It's like Alabama-Auburn in FB. Anytime they lose (either to us or someone else) is a good day. Screw YOU Ski-U-Mah! :devil:

On 2/13/2020 at 8:53 PM, GDPritch said:

Agree, vs Mich F4 semi-final toughest loss I remember and I've seen a few over many years.  It made it even tougher cus that team was so very good.  Was at Xcel to watch game and we won everything but the score.  Then we w/o doubt beat the *&%^! dawgs the next night for our 8th natty (and not their first).  That really hurt.

Talked to Barry Melrose the next morning outside of the Embassy Suites as we were getting ready to head to the Twins game.

He said that was a tough beat for UND because Michigan played the whole game not to lose and got away with it and he thought Michigan would be UND 1 time out of 10.

This season, my most-hated opponent is Minn-Duluth.  They are back to back NCAA champs, and we cannot let them have 3 in a row.  They must be stopped at all costs.  If it came down to an NCAA game between the Gophers and Bulldogs, I would root for the Gophers.