SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UMD -- Saturday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

Huge bounce back win.  I didn't think they had it in them after they just laid down the last half of yesterday's game, but that was a much more complete effort.  I love that they proved me wrong.  ;) 
And much better defensive effort.

Great to see Thome and Tychonick do well after both sitting yesterday.  JT needs to be in the lineup from here on I would think.  He's so good offensively and with the puck that he can't be in the stands unless he's injured.

That call on Adams right after the JT goal?  C'mon.  Pretty weak call at a really crucial time there.
Love all the Duluth players getting "injured" and then shrugging it off or coming right back out.  I can't stand that diving style of play and am glad that UND rarely does it.  Wasn't it the NCAA enforcement video for diving/embellishment when they were cracking down on it, and it had like 2-3 highlights of UMD players?  :D 

Good win, seems even bigger after last night's debacle, but a split on the road against a top 10 team is something you would take most weekends.
And now the nice lead in the conference standings is back up again.  :)  

Never a doubt Brian.  Black attack is back Jack. :wink:

4 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Huge bounce back win.  I didn't think they had it in them after they just laid down the last half of yesterday's game, but that was a much more complete effort.  I love that they proved me wrong.  ;) 
And much better defensive effort.

Great to see Thome and Tychonick do well after both sitting yesterday.  JT needs to be in the lineup from here on I would think.  He's so good offensively and with the puck that he can't be in the stands unless he's injured.

That call on Adams right after the JT goal?  C'mon.  Pretty weak call at a really crucial time there.
Love all the Duluth players getting "injured" and then shrugging it off or coming right back out.  I can't stand that diving style of play and am glad that UND rarely does it.  Wasn't it the NCAA enforcement video for diving/embellishment when they were cracking down on it, and it had like 2-3 highlights of UMD players?  :D 

Good win, seems even bigger after last night's debacle, but a split on the road against a top 10 team is something you would take most weekends.
And now the nice lead in the conference standings is back up again.  :)  

You know that tripping call on Adams was weak when even the Duluth tv announcers had a problem with that call! To their credit, the thought that was a pretty ticky tack call. 

Big win but the boys have to clean up a bunch. Their D zone coverage is not good right now.  Their top 6 isn’t playing hard right now either. The need to play a guy like JT nightly. No more messing around. Indifferent on who starts in net. They’re both solid. Thome makes me a bit more nervous with his rebounding and positioning.

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Never a doubt Brian.  Black attack is back Jack. :wink:

:)  Indeed!

And back to #1 in the PWR after the Cornell tie and Mankato loss!
Duluth is hovering right on the upper end of the bubble at #12.
I wouldn't be upset if they happened to miss the tourney.

42 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Great team that really can’t afford to stumble much. A lot of grit and talent though.

42 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Root against Wisconsin; they swept Duluth, so any time they lose it hurts them both. Which of course means rooting for the Gophers next week...

Couple observations FWIW:

1) Pleasantly surprised for most part with the Duluth broadcast crew. Didn’t make me cringe or whine the whole time, all I’d ask for. Thankful I had NCHC.tv so didn’t miss the Midco debacle.

2) Team definitely struggled with having no space or time. Adapted to it better by tonight. Impressive how structured and detailed UMD is in their systems year after year, with middling talent. Critical experience for this team, I think these are the games that prepare the NCHC so well for other conferences/post season.

3) Sandy sure gets the most out of his teams. Far more with less than most coaches. Doesn’t help we got them in Duluth after a borderline shocking sweep so they were playing desperate while UND appears to still feel pretty comfy...

4) I made the mistake halfway through this game of being surprised I hadn’t noticed much diving (just blatant tackling and holding not being called). Maybe that is a “last resort” only when trailing or UMD needs a call bad. Right on cue...let the embarrassment begin. Always makes me wonder if their fans really don’t see it..

5) I don’t think it can be overstated that UMD having last change gave them a big advantage. I like UND’s odds a lot better if they’re the home team and can get the matchups they want, especially the “heavy line”. Probably the biggest reason to root for them to stay a high 1-seed, maybe more important than the bracket matchups?

6) Overall goaltending is a concern until they figure it out and some slack in overall systems leaves me itchy but getting out with an acceptable split and taking away some critical growing pains/lessons to prepare for the stretch run — going undefeated to end the season — is probably exactly what this team needed. 

7) I really (really) hate UMD. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2 hours ago, Oldguy said:

My take on this weekend.   UND looked soft.  And slow.

Yes, they bounced back on Saturday, after a butt kicking on Friday.  Yes, they only have 3 losses.  However, my takeaways this weekend will be that teams can disrupt ND with physical play, and if they do, UND won't make plays, won't connect on passes, won't have a rushing attack, won't cycle much, won't score much.  

Given that basically all the teams they will play at the end of the season will be physical teams, better get a lot better at handling it.

I’m not sure we were disrupted so much as we chose to play a game which was better suited to beat UMD. Except for one really bad shift it was UMD who looked disrupted. We now beat UMD 70% of the time in a four period game.

Our guys have proven they can beat anyone’s game by adapting ours. That takes commitment, desire, brains, coaching, and players buying in. The staff came up with a game plan after Friday and the players executed. This weekend showed we are much more than good players. 

UND scored two goals in the final 10 minutes to rally for a 3-2 win over the two-time defending national champion Bulldogs in front of the largest crowd ever to witness a hockey game at AmsOil Arena (7,711).

Largest ever crowd to watch a hockey game at Amsoil tonight.

Tychonick can't be a healthy scratch the rest of the year. Not always on point defensively but my goodness is he skilled. He can be a game changer.

Kudos to CJ as well. IMO he's earned ice time from here on out as 4th liner or extra. Been solid in all 3 zones. Extremely disciplined.

Roll with Thome next Friday. Get that win and then see what Scheel can give you Saturday night.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Oldguy said:

My take on this weekend.   UND looked soft.  And slow.

Yes, they bounced back on Saturday, after a butt kicking on Friday.  Yes, they only have 3 losses.  However, my takeaways this weekend will be that teams can disrupt ND with physical play, and if they do, UND won't make plays, won't connect on passes, won't have a rushing attack, won't cycle much, won't score much.  

Given that basically all the teams they will play at the end of the season will be physical teams, better get a lot better at handling it.

Not sure I agree.  Time and time again we had physical teams but found they called the games closer in the Tournament.   This team has a good balance of physicality and skill/speed.   Give me a team with speed that keeps its feet moving in the NCAAs. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Godsmack said:

You know that tripping call on Adams was weak when even the Duluth tv announcers had a problem with that call! To their credit, the thought that was a pretty ticky tack call. 

How did we avoid that usual broadcast crew from Duluth? Their usual play by play guy is the absolute worst homer I’ve ever heard!

• Upvote 1