SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UMD -- Saturday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

My take on this weekend.   UND looked soft.  And slow.

Yes, they bounced back on Saturday, after a butt kicking on Friday.  Yes, they only have 3 losses.  However, my takeaways this weekend will be that teams can disrupt ND with physical play, and if they do, UND won't make plays, won't connect on passes, won't have a rushing attack, won't cycle much, won't score much.  

Given that basically all the teams they will play at the end of the season will be physical teams, better get a lot better at handling it.

4 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Yes, they bounced back on Saturday, after a butt kicking on Friday.  Yes, they only have 3 losses.  However, my takeaways this weekend will be that teams can disrupt ND with physical play, and if they do, UND won't make plays, won't connect on passes, won't have a rushing attack, won't cycle much, won't score much.  

Given that basically all the teams they will play at the end of the season will be physical teams, better get a lot better at handling it.

I would partially agree with this, however we played a very big and  physical Western Michigan and seemed to handle them fine. 

9 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Great negative take on the weekend with only three losses.  Now we only need Irish to chime in with his take, but he doesn’t show up as often after a win.

• Upvote 1

I suspect Sandy and Berry lobby the NCHC to “let the boys play” in this series. This weekend will pay dividends down the road when UND gets into another slugfest and has to find a way through it. But we won playing the style most comfortable for UMD. 

4 minutes ago, TNF said:

I suspect Sandy and Berry lobby the NCHC to “let the boys play” in this series. This weekend will pay dividends down the road when UND gets into another slugfest and has to find a way through it. But we won playing the style most comfortable for UMD. 

Agree...UMD plays a similar style to Mankato...very physical and finish every check...old time hockey.

Huge bounce back win.  I didn't think they had it in them after they just laid down the last half of yesterday's game, but that was a much more complete effort.  I love that they proved me wrong.  ;) 
And much better defensive effort.

Great to see Thome and Tychonick do well after both sitting yesterday.  JT needs to be in the lineup from here on I would think.  He's so good offensively and with the puck that he can't be in the stands unless he's injured.

That call on Adams right after the JT goal?  C'mon.  Pretty weak call at a really crucial time there.
Love all the Duluth players getting "injured" and then shrugging it off or coming right back out.  I can't stand that diving style of play and am glad that UND rarely does it.  Wasn't it the NCAA enforcement video for diving/embellishment when they were cracking down on it, and it had like 2-3 highlights of UMD players?  :D 

Good win, seems even bigger after last night's debacle, but a split on the road against a top 10 team is something you would take most weekends.
And now the nice lead in the conference standings is back up again.  :)