SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UMD -- Saturday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Tychonick can't be a healthy scratch the rest of the year. Not always on point defensively but my goodness is he skilled. He can be a game changer.

Kudos to CJ as well. IMO he's earned ice time from here on out as 4th liner or extra. Been solid in all 3 zones. Extremely disciplined.

Roll with Thome next Friday. Get that win and then see what Scheel can give you Saturday night.

I agree that Thome deserves some starts and would be good to see two goalies battle one another for ice time. If all defensemen stay healthy Johnny, Frisch and Bast may have to rotate or share some duties each weekend, they are each capable and bring something to the team. 

7 minutes ago, mattim said:

How did we avoid that usual broadcast crew from Duluth? Their usual play by play guy is the absolute worst homer I’ve ever heard!

Yeah they were actually not too bad. I didn’t get the urge to want to mute them. Bruce Cisiki(Sp) is the worst and thankfully we didn’t have to listen to him. The way he rants and raves about UMD, you would think they have won 8 National Championships.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, mattim said:

I agree that Thome deserves some starts and would be good to see two goalies battle one another for ice time. If all defensemen stay healthy Johnny, Frisch and Bast may have to rotate or share some duties each weekend, they are each capable and bring something to the team. 

At this point rotate Bast and Frisch. Frisch deserves ice time. Bast has not been the same player since he returned from injury. He's injury was very significant so not surprising it's taking him some time to get back into form.

• Upvote 1

My hope is that the season ends with DHG sipping away at his Guinness...which is a bit salty due to his bitter tears falling into his glass. Then I hope his PO walks into the bar and promptly has him arrested for violating the conditions of his probation, but I digress...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mattim said:

How did we avoid that usual broadcast crew from Duluth? Their usual play by play guy is the absolute worst homer I’ve ever heard!

Ciskie (which just autocorrected to “Dislike”, appropriately) is their radio guy.  So a normal NCHC.TV broadcast would use the radio feed for audio, but this game was broadcast locally on My29 (I think) so they had their own guys do the play by play.

• Upvote 1

For those of us not in the know who is this DHG you speak of.

looking at the posts from both nights I wonder how the posts would be if the results were switched each night, always easier to get that Friday night win, assured of a split that way

9 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

They biggest strength of the Dawgs is their ability to overcome life/career threatening injuries in time to be out for their next shift.

Yeah, they must have performed some sort of miracle on Perunovich in the tunnel; reattaching his arm or shoulder so he could get back out there.

• Upvote 2

I confess I have never played hockey but have attended Sioux hockey since the early 70's. I concur with the embellishment label on UM-D. I wondered whether anyone beside me observed at least 6 times that the game was actually on the air last night, that Duluth players would fall to the ice, not to draw a penalty, but to interfere with our skater?? Mostly along the boards, they would collapse around the skates of our guys and impede them like crazy. Should be two minutes or our guys should just drive down onto them to end that nonsense.

23 minutes ago, UNDPUCKS said:

I confess I have never played hockey but have attended Sioux hockey since the early 70's. I concur with the embellishment label on UM-D. I wondered whether anyone beside me observed at least 6 times that the game was actually on the air last night, that Duluth players would fall to the ice, not to draw a penalty, but to interfere with our skater?? Mostly along the boards, they would collapse around the skates of our guys and impede them like crazy. Should be two minutes or our guys should just drive down onto them to end that nonsense.

I did see this and was thinking the same thing. I also noticed they like to clutch, hold, grab a lot and for the life of me I don’t understand how penalties don’t get called. Case in point, I believe it was shortly after the Adams phantom trip in the third and Cole smith had the puck coming into the zone and a Duluth player grabbed him and spun him around and no call. 

• Like 1

A nice character win last night - both for players and coaches.  I believe we have the talent and grit to go all the way - we still need to clean a few things up first.  The goalie thing is a big mystery to me but we do have the best goalie coach in the country.  The one thing I wish we could fix is the habit of giving up a goal within a minute of scoring.  This is focus and intensity.  People have correctly commented that Friday went south after the shorty, but we would have been in a much better position if we didn't immediately give up a goal after scoring first - we let them back in the game at that point.  It seems like this has happened frequently in the last few years.  This is fixable.  I hope we are on our way to putting things together for a second half run.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

My eyes tell me differently.  

I would agree with you. The UMD players were diving all over the ice last night. The call on Adams was atrocious. This was also a really  bad call. 

2 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

No holding the stick call but a rough on Mismash 

Should have been a holding the stick call, but Mismash has no excuse for his loss of composure.  And he's been prone to stupid fouls now and then.   Still really like the way he has played this year. 

• Upvote 2