SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Signing Day GDT 2020

geaux_sioux

12 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Is he playing college ball?

He blew out his knee (maybe you knew that) but from what I’ve heard he wants to play college ball. He is a two time state champion wrestler, unfortunately he won’t get to defend his title. Hopefully we get to see him on a college football field. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, 1972 said:

supposed to be a NDSU commit.  got injured a couple games before the playoffs.

He is not an NDSU commit. Never was. SDSU had  him in.  Should be ready by August for fall FB but should redshirt his freshman year and go slowly.  Will likely go to Mankato State or Moorhead State. I would recommend JC then transfer to FCS. He is an outstanding HS RB. Very quick, very strong, patient and breaks tackles. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

He is not an NDSU commit. Never was. SDSU had  him in.  Should be ready by August for fall FB but should redshirt his freshman year and go slowly.  Will likely go to Mankato State or Moorhead State. I would recommend JC then transfer to FCS. He is an outstanding HS RB. Very quick, very strong, patient and breaks tackles. 

I guess I heard incorrectly, but was almost positive that he was a back they had there eye on.  Shame he got injured, was a fun player to watch.

5 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

That worked out well up 30 points with his 20th carry in the 1st half......

NDSU commit, not quite.

It is high school ball...you run the rock, and control the clock.  That's what you do.  Hated to see him get hurt.

7 minutes ago, 1972 said:

It is high school ball...you run the rock, and control the clock.  That's what you do.  Hated to see him get hurt.

Could have used a passing game in the playoffs.  Our WRs could not grasp simple concepts, never got the experience during the year.  When needed, didn't have it.  That's my biggest gripe with riding one player for 2 years.

1 minute ago, gundy1124 said:

Could have used a passing game in the playoffs.  Our WRs could not grasp simple concepts, never got the experience during the year.  When needed, didn't have it.  That's my biggest gripe with riding one player for 2 years.

I don't disagree one bit.  Would have been nice in some of the more lopsided games to work on the passing game, but then it's the old catch-22 of " why are you passing when you're up by xx?  Are you trying to run up the score?"   It's kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I am in the could care less category about an older QB coming in...........unless it's a scenario that hands down he would start for a year or two, being that good of player.  That said, very rare to find that.  One could argue Braden Hanson fit that mold.

Absolutely! I meant more of that type of scenario, a proven addition that would own the job. Like I said, I’m more concerned about get a big sizaeable guy on that D line. Run D needs to be better next year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 1972 said:

I don't disagree one bit.  Would have been nice in some of the more lopsided games to work on the passing game, but then it's the old catch-22 of " why are you passing when you're up by xx?  Are you trying to run up the score?"   It's kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't.

You can pass when ahead.  If a coach is overly concerned about perception rather than preparing a team for a Section title, just start the game airing it out.  Go for 22 completions and call it the catch 22 plan.  Then, being concerned what others think, piss pound your opponent on the ground to finish the game.  

With Isaiah, prior to the acl/mcl injury I thought he looked FCS ready with the only missing component being top end speed, which normally can be improved in college.  His injury, most times or every time, affects speed.  So, really sucks for him.  I am not sure he can get back to FCS level.  With a good recovery, he should walk on at UND or he could probably play D II.

29 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Please please please be our Trey Lance!!!! I can’t wait to see this offense with him under center!

According to an Old Dominion board, he would be a backup QB there for a number of years.  That’s probably why he chose UND, as he has the potential to start for four.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-870294-post-16554008.html#pid16554008

9 hours ago, Dustin said:

Will we still be looking for a FBS dropdown or JuCo, or will our starting QB in 2020 be from our current roster/commits?

I'm betting on Schuster, but like having three legitimate options.  Anyone heard if Zimmerman was going to try to get a 6th year?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

I'm betting on Schuster, but like having three legitimate options.  Anyone heard if Zimmerman was going to try to get a 6th year?

Schuster has to have the inside lane having a year's, and live game, experience with Freund's offense.

10 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

Agree. I wouldn't discount Tommy. He looked good in his action vs SHSU and he's a flat out winner. Can't say that for too many guys on this roster.

• Upvote 1

Nice article on Vaughn's decision.  I really like this quote:

"I'm excited for the opportunity and to be teammates with those guys (Neal and Schuster)," Vaughn said. "The QB room will be exciting. I'm going to support whoever ends up being the guy and lead the team to the best of my abilities."

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4829295-Canadian-quarterback-flips-commitment-from-FBS-program-to-UND

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

6'4......230......dual threat......QB????

And a kicker that can kick touchbacks?

National leader in TDs by a WR?

Is this a dream?  

I'm sure our offense will keep clicking right along.  Not my biggest concern.  I'm more concerned that our defense stops the run, and gets off the field when the opponent has 3rd and long.  Touchbacks will be nice touch, though.

• Upvote 1