SiouxSports.com Forum

Tech @ UND -- Saturday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

If I had it my way (LOL) Jake would replace Ole on the radio and travel with Tim on the road.

If you've ever met Jake he is a high energy small town kid.  The Jake you see on TV is the Jake you get in life.

Somebody already said it, but listen to the clowns that other broadcasts roll out and it's not even close.  The guy in Denver is a tool, and whoever Duluth rolls out always.....always....has an issue with the officials....all game.....long.

Watch a SCSU broadcast and tell me you'd rather have Mark Parrish than Jake.....

• Upvote 2

So the book on UND so far this season is to hook, hold, and slash at anything resembling a scoring chance.  They have not made teams pay on the power play so you will continue to see teams muck it up against the Nodakers.  Can UND opt to decline the penalties?;)

12 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

There is nothing quick about our power play. Pass, hold, think, pass, hold, think, pass, hold, think, shoot into defenseman. 

Spot on. Nobody knows where it’s going before they get it. No movement of puck or players. Sight lines are easy, then the obligatory frustration pass or shot. 

Fundamentally a coaching issue and an off-season fix but here we are, so switch out our most out of place PP teamers for more natural scorers who can deflect and shoot to spots. Doesn’t matter how old they are  

25 minutes ago, CarpeRemote said:

Spot on. Nobody knows where it’s going before they get it. No movement of puck or players. Sight lines are easy, then the obligatory frustration pass or shot. 

Fundamentally a coaching issue and an off-season fix but here we are, so switch out our most out of place PP teamers for more natural scorers who can deflect and shoot to spots. Doesn’t matter how old they are  

Last year's power play was brutal.  This years is just ineffective.  The basic problem is that we lack puck skills - in passing, handling passes, and shooting.  This is a talent issue first and foremost.  Restructure all you want, but if we have guys who have to think first and tee it up we will not improve.  The best thing Berry could do to improve our power play is hit the recruiting trail.  There is no way we should be short of scorers once again.

16 minutes ago, Irish said:

Last year's power play was brutal.  This years is just ineffective.  The basic problem is that we lack puck skills - in passing, handling passes, and shooting.  This is a talent issue first and foremost.  Restructure all you want, but if we have guys who have to think first and tee it up we will not improve.

I disagree on the PP talent. On our roster this year is the NCHC leader in PPG from last season and yet our PP hasn’t improved in numbers. I don’t think CC had more talent on the PP last year that caused Michaud to lead the league. Fine tune the PP. Both Mismash and Adams have shown great passing skill this year...get those boys to setup Michaud for the one timer and let him rip it. If he can score for CC on the PP, he can score for UND. 

Cole Smith has very valuable roles on this team......being on the PP is not one of them. 

If Mismash is going to play on the PP he has to shoot the puck.

The PP itself scheme wise is markedly better compared to the last 2 seasons. It's encouraging to watch.

31 minutes ago, Irish said:

Last year's power play was brutal.  This years is just ineffective.  The basic problem is that we lack puck skills - in passing, handling passes, and shooting.  This is a talent issue first and foremost.  Restructure all you want, but if we have guys who have to think first and tee it up we will not improve.  The best thing Berry could do to improve our power play is hit the recruiting trail.  There is no way we should be short of scorers once again.

Plenty of teams out there with far less talent and a much more effective power play. 

14 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I disagree on the PP talent. On our roster this year is the NCHC leader in PPG from last season and yet our PP hasn’t improved in numbers. I don’t think CC had more talent on the PP last year that caused Michaud to lead the league. Fine tune the PP. Both Mismash and Adams have shown great passing skill this year...get those boys to setup Michaud for the one timer and let him rip it. If he can score for CC on the PP, he can score for UND. 

This. I love the system, they are just simply overthinking it. It's all about quick twitch, making the defenders move and get the goalie out of position. Too often we hold the puck or pause on the one timer. Adams and Mash, among others, just have to find the confidence to make that one pass that breaks the structure and boom. I counted 8 solid scoring chances in the 5 PPs. Two were saved, four missed the net and the other two were broken up. Gotta bear down. This system is working and has given the team chances. Just gotta bury. 

41 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Completely agree. The talent is better this year than the past two. Execution is the problem, IMO.

I agree that the talent is better than last year - but there was no where to go but up.  I still think our talent up front is below the usual Sioux teams.  Compare this group with any of the forward groups during the Hakstol years.  You can see the difference.  We still have problems with crisp passing and handling feeds.  Many of our shots are wide or into the goalie's chest.  Our leading returner from last year had 10 goals and a -6 rating.  I like our additions and think if they develop we can be a good offensive team.  However we are not yet where we need to be.  We do have potential this year but we have work to do.  

2 minutes ago, Irish said:

I agree that the talent is better than last year - but there was no where to go but up.  I still think our talent up front is below the usual Sioux teams.  Compare this group with any of the forward groups during the Hakstol years.  You can see the difference.  We still have problems with crisp passing and handling feeds.  Many of our shots are wide or into the goalie's chest.  Our leading returner from last year had 10 goals and a -6 rating.  I like our additions and think if they develop we can be a good offensive team.  However we are not yet where we need to be.  We do have potential this year but we have work to do.  

So now you are using Hakstol as a comparison for positive talent, when you were always railing on him?

9 minutes ago, tnt said:

So now you are using Hakstol as a comparison for positive talent, when you were always railing on him?

It was never the talent that was in question.  Actually it was because of his talent that he was criticized for his record in Frozen Fours.

37 minutes ago, Irish said:

Ok, so, you're not talking about how this team is better than last, you're upset with recruiting. Got it. I'm on this year, man and I'm very happy with the progress, thus far. 

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Ok, so, you're not talking about how this team is better than last, you're upset with recruiting. Got it. I'm on this year, man and I'm very happy with the progress, thus far. 

I do think this team is way better and has a lot of potential especially with the defense and goaltending.  I was just commenting on what I have seen up front.  I think we have enough pieces in place that our scoring can jell.  I started out commenting on the lack of puck movement, crisp passing, and shooting on our power play and mentioned that some of our difficulties in my opinion was related to talent.  I'm not sure why this comment is such a bad thing. 

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

One thing I really liked about last night was seeing the boys take the body. A few nice hits provided a needed energy boost for the crowd and the team.

Clean hits.  And not much of the cross check, face wash, stick penalty crap that we've gotten from players who aren't smart or disciplined enough to avoid those things. 

• Upvote 3

Just my two cents, I thought UND played a good game last night. Credit an outmatched (skill level) Tech as for the most part, they carried out what they said they would do prior to the game starting-trap in the neutral zone. Despite that, UND managed to still find ways to get some zone entry and eventually take over some time in the offensive zone, particularly in the second period. That goalie for Tech was good-he totally robbed Cole Smith, I think it was the first period on the PP. All in all, I thought it was an entertaining game, especially since it was still tied down the stretch, giving it some drama. Clutch goal by Kawaguchi too! 

53 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Just my two cents, I thought UND played a good game last night. Credit an outmatched (skill level) Tech as for the most part, they carried out what they said they would do prior to the game starting-trap in the neutral zone. Despite that, UND managed to still find ways to get some zone entry and eventually take over some time in the offensive zone, particularly in the second period. That goalie for Tech was good-he totally robbed Cole Smith, I think it was the first period on the PP. All in all, I thought it was an entertaining game, especially since it was still tied down the stretch, giving it some drama. Clutch goal by Kawaguchi too! 

That Cole Smith one-touch shot actually hit the outside of the post while going five-hole. The replay showed it, I think. It was a great setup and shot, just missed. Gotta hit the net. Definitely correct shot selection, versus Tychonic later on the same type of play, who caught the pass waited and then shot right into the goalie's breadbasket. They need more one-timers/quick plays, as others have mentioned.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Emerald joker said:

I like how he describes things sometimes for people who may not know a lot about the game or for actually just the regular fan that doesn’t even know about the little things 

He mixes in some really interesting deeper stuff too...things that I only think goalies think about....I was trying to be a little punchy, but he is actually quite good.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

He mixes in some really interesting deeper stuff too...things that I only think goalies think about....I was trying to be a little punchy, but he is actually quite good.

He should sit down with that guy who does color for Hennessey and explain why it is a bad thing to constantly interrupt the play-by-play.  Especially when that play-by-play guy is Tim H. 

Can I say it, though?  There's just a little bit of me that misses that goofball Hammer.  What does that say about burd and the game of hockey?!

17 minutes ago, burd said:

He should sit down with that guy who does color for Hennessey and explain why it is a bad thing to constantly interrupt the play-by-play.  Especially when that play-by-play guy is Tim H. 

Can I say it, though?  There's just a little bit of me that misses that goofball Hammer.  What does that say about burd and the game of hockey?!

“Traditional circle of sticks” -Classic.