SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at Purple Cows - Pairwise Primer

GoalieMask

1 hour ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Because he's not that good? But hey I'm not either. On defense i think his game is alright but und is stacked defensively. In the games that I have seen he constantly loses puck battles along the boards. That's what stands out to me the most. Why let him out there when he just gives up possession. Against canisius he may have been okay but thats canisius. 

He's a roleplayer and our last man in. What I'm saying is that I like that he's responsible and think he's experience is valuable.

57 minutes ago, burd said:

It would be nice to win one in Mankato, but for this team to get handled by a team with their skill and experience would not be the worst thing that could happen this early in the year.  A lesson like that would certainly be worth more long term than two wins against Canisius.   Other than the PW risk last weekend, of course. 

I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum on this.  I think getting handled might take away some of the confidence gained last weekend.  I think we hear a lot of talk about swag and confidence from the players, coaches and announcers because the coaches have probably emphasized it.  I would hope one weekend wouldn’t damage confidence that much, but watching body language last year from week to week, makes me wonder if that might enter their minds again. Here’s to hoping we don’t find out.

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Good to be talking about who are extra skater is and not how our Top 6 is shaping up :D

I’m sure we will need all hands on deck at some point this season, so hopefully they can get a lot of guys some ice time so we are healthy down the stretch.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

So, we’re not at CBS 2016 team skill upfront, but our dcorps to me looks just as good as that team.  They put 3 in NHL with LaDue, Stecher and Pooly.  I think JBD, Pooly 2, and JTy are all NHL players. 

I want to see if Pinto and Mishmash can rise to the opportunity

Don’t forget about Wolanin.

• Upvote 1

Here is a question for the masses.  If Judd doesn't come in fresh off his year with the USDT does he go somewhere else?  What I mean is if the coaches asked him to play a year in Fargo would he have said screw it I'm playing college hockey somewhere else this season?

So far he has been a healthy scratch in two of three.  I'm glad Judd is at UND, but let's say Hoff didn't leave.  Is Judd on the team this year? 

I'll hang up and listen.  

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Here is a question for the masses.  If Judd doesn't come in fresh off his year with the USDT does he go somewhere else?  What I mean is if the coaches asked him to play a year in Fargo would he have said screw it I'm playing college hockey somewhere else this season?

So far he has been a healthy scratch in two of three.  I'm glad Judd is at UND, but let's say Hoff didn't leave.  Is Judd on the team this year? 

I'll hang up and listen.  

I don't think Hoff leaving was exactly coincidental, so much as suggested.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, AJS said:

I'm not necessarily surprised that a 23 year old Senior looked better than an 18 year old True Freshman in his first game as a collegiate player. My personal philosophy I guess, but like I mentioned in my earlier post, I would prefer to get Freshman like Caulfield and Frisch, who are talented players acclimated and on the ice over a guy like CJ or Yon. We already know the ceiling of those two and what they bring to the table. That statement isn't meant to rip either of them either. This team is going to be very good this year, so I'm going to leave this topic alone. We're kind of getting into the weeds when we are talking about the extra skater. I really liked the line-up Berry had overall this past weekend. 

I totally agree with this. My biggest argument against CJ, (other than his foot speed and low offensive skill) is that he stays in the lineup supposedly because he is defensively responsible with zero offensive upside on teams the past couple years that simply couldn't score. Like I mentioned previously, I think the 19th skater is perfect for easing a freshman D in the lineup and not for dressing an extra forward which we seem to do more often than not recently and I think it's because they want CJ as that extra forward.

11 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

So, we’re not at CBS 2016 team skill upfront, but our dcorps to me looks just as good as that team.  They put 3 in NHL with LaDue, Stecher and Pooly.  I think JBD, Pooly 2, and JTy are all NHL players. 

I want to see if Pinto and Mishmash can rise to the opportunity

What have you seen out of Tychonick suggesting he is NHL-bound? He has skill and draft status, but so did Jordan Schmaltz.

25 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

I totally agree with this. My biggest argument against CJ, (other than his foot speed and low offensive skill) is that he stays in the lineup supposedly because he is defensively responsible with zero offensive upside on teams the past couple years that simply couldn't score. Like I mentioned previously, I think the 19th skater is perfect for easing a freshman D in the lineup and not for dressing an extra forward which we seem to do more often than not recently and I think it's because they want CJ as that extra forward.

I was actually going to edit my post yesterday and add the same thing. UND is one injury on D away from Frisch needing to be in the lineup every night. To me it makes the most sense to have him be the extra skater at this point. 

Smart money is on a split, though I could see MNSU sweeping given there good record at home, still if a sweep occurred either way it will still be a close series, I'm betting both coaches will be preaching the "stay out of the box" gospel hard to there players, as both teams are dangerous on the PP.

As to the ASU coach... I have been saying for a while, if they are serious about joining the NCHC, they need college caliber coaching staff, a real arena, and real training facilities. Listening to the ASU coach whine after the Saturday night game was pretty pathetic, it was the kind of salty homerism that makes Frank Mazzocco sound like an unbiased figure by comparison.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

He has very few games played in the NHL, especially as a first round pick. 

Here are the numbers for the 2012 draft class:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html

And? He played in the NHL, man. He indicated that he wasn't sure he sees an NHL player in Tychonick and then he noted an NHL player.  

9 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

And? He played in the NHL, man. The indicated that he wasn't sure he sees an NHL player in Tychonick and then he noted an NHL player.  

One could argue that as it currently stands Jordan is a bust. Only two first round picks from that draft have played less games in the NHL than Jordan. While a number of players taken after him have played more games.