SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at Purple Cows - Pairwise Primer

GoalieMask

14 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Anything less than a split is unacceptable.

Was going through the non-conference schedule yesterday and I totally agree. The way I see it... 2-0 now... split Mankato, split BSU (would love to sweep, but they play us tough), beat Tech, split Minny, sweep Huntsville ...  8-3 in non-conference should do us just fine. High side, add in a sweep either against BSU or Minny (or both), we'll be in really good shape if we're around .500 in conference. Big, big weekend.

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Who eventually sits for Yon?  Berry is going to have to make some hard decisions at some point, and he seems to place a significant premium on years in the program.

I tried my best to refrain from talking about this topic until we see what ultimately happens, but it didn't work. The only thing I'll say is there are two players that clearly stick out to me as guys who should never play outside of injury (last resort guys). One played both games this past weekend. Mentally I'm bargaining with Berry that I'm ok with one of the two playing the extra forward spot, if that means the other is watching from the stands. I'll be very disappointed if we see both and there are other healthy scratches. 

14 minutes ago, AJS said:

I tried my best to refrain from talking about this topic until we see what ultimately happens, but it didn't work. The only thing I'll say is there are two players that clearly stick out to me as guys who should never play outside of injury (last resort guys). One played both games this past weekend. Mentally I'm bargaining with Berry that I'm ok with one of the two playing the extra forward spot, if that means the other is watching from the stands. I'll be very disappointed if we see both and there are other healthy scratches. 

I thought Casey was fine, if not good, on Friday. Saturday, not so much. Caufield didn't blow me away on Saturday, but he was fine. So, at this point, I'll take the senior until the underclassman proves he's better than the senior.

11 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I thought Casey was fine, if not good, on Friday. Saturday, not so much. Caufield didn't blow me away on Saturday, but he was fine. So, at this point, I'll take the senior until the underclassman proves he's better than the senior.

I pretty much agree. I mean, Casey is the extra forward, it’s not like he’s taking up a ton of ice time.  Same with Yon when he draws in. I would imagine when he draws in its likely as an extra skater. Though if I see either on the power play... that’s a completely different story. 

I would honestly rather we play an extra D over an extra forward,  but that’s just me. 

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

I pretty much agree. I mean, Casey is the extra forward, it’s not like he’s taking up a ton of ice time.  Same with Yon when he draws in. I would imagine when he draws in its likely as an extra skater. Though if I see either on the power play... that’s a completely different story. 

I would honestly rather we play an extra D over an extra forward,  but that’s just me. 

I think I may prefer Yon and his foot speed over the other two, but we also do lack a little bit of physicality/size that Johnson and/or Caufield can bring. 

I don't think we need an extra defenseman, honestly. I'd prefer our forwards stay fresh, but I really don't get the hate on Casey. He's the extra skater. He's not playing crucial minutes. 

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think I may prefer Yon and his foot speed over the other two, but we also do lack a little bit of physicality/size that Johnson and/or Caufield can bring. 

I don't think we need an extra defenseman, honestly. I'd prefer our forwards stay fresh, but I really don't get the hate on Casey. He's the extra skater. He's not playing crucial minutes. 

Let's look at last weekend. Friday - I would rather have Caulfield or Frisch as the extra skater. Saturday - Tychonick. What ultimately bothers me is UND has young talented players that on each night are watching from the stands, because CJ is taking up the extra spot. There's a learning curve the first half of the Freshman year, let them get the minutes they need to improve. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think that it is as simple as they want defensively responsible people on the lower lines and will probably mix in players as they pay more attention to that detail.  I think it is similar to the Dallas Stars calling up Gardner.  I’m sure they have better offensive talent in their system, but are more concerned about defensive responsibility.  Of course their record isn’t stellar either.  Was kind of the same reason Adams was in and out of the lineup early in his career.

9 minutes ago, AJS said:

Let's look at last weekend. Friday - I would rather have Caufield or Frisch as the extra skater. Saturday - Tychonick. What ultimately bothers me is UND has young talented players that on each night are watching from the stands, because CJ is taking up the extra spot. There's a learning curve the first half of the Freshman year, let them get the minutes they need to improve. 

I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't see why Casey continually gets ripped on, frankly. He played better than Caufield, in my opinion. Again, I'll take a senior over the freshie. Not a knock against Caufield, but flat out looks to slower, right now. Tychonick, idk, I think this was Bubbs just getting him some time early on. I'll be very surprised to not see Tychonick on the ice for both games in Mankato. 

46 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't see why Casey continually gets ripped on, frankly. He played better than Caufield, in my opinion. Again, I'll take a senior over the freshie. Not a knock against Caufield, but flat out looks to slower, right now. Tychonick, idk, I think this was Bubbs just getting him some time early on. I'll be very surprised to not see Tychonick on the ice for both games in Mankato. 

I'm not necessarily surprised that a 23 year old Senior looked better than an 18 year old True Freshman in his first game as a collegiate player. My personal philosophy I guess, but like I mentioned in my earlier post, I would prefer to get Freshman like Caulfield and Frisch, who are talented players acclimated and on the ice over a guy like CJ or Yon. We already know the ceiling of those two and what they bring to the table. That statement isn't meant to rip either of them either. This team is going to be very good this year, so I'm going to leave this topic alone. We're kind of getting into the weeds when we are talking about the extra skater. I really liked the line-up Berry had overall this past weekend. 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Uscho.com WCHA picks has Mankato sweeping UND. Good-let everyone think that’ll happen. 

Last year we split with them at home.  From my limited viewing this year, we appear to be better than last year...even better defense and improved scoring...hopefully improved special teams.

If we at least split on the road, that'd be huge in PWR, as Mankato will have a strong season this year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

but I don't see why Casey continually gets ripped on

Because he's not that good? But hey I'm not either. On defense i think his game is alright but und is stacked defensively. In the games that I have seen he constantly loses puck battles along the boards. That's what stands out to me the most. Why let him out there when he just gives up possession. Against canisius he may have been okay but thats canisius. 

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Uscho.com WCHA picks has Mankato sweeping UND. Good-let everyone think that’ll happen. 

It would be nice to win one in Mankato, but for this team to get handled by a team with their skill and experience would not be the worst thing that could happen this early in the year.  A lesson like that would certainly be worth more long term than two wins against Canisius.   Other than the PW risk last weekend, of course. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AJS said:

I'm not necessarily surprised that a 23 year old Senior looked better than an 18 year old True Freshman in his first game as a collegiate player. My personal philosophy I guess, but like I mentioned in my earlier post, I would prefer to get Freshman like Caulfield and Frisch, who are talented players acclimated and on the ice over a guy like CJ or Yon. We already know the ceiling of those two and what they bring to the table. That statement isn't meant to rip either of them either. This team is going to be very good this year, so I'm going to leave this topic alone. We're kind of getting into the weeds when we are talking about the extra skater. I really liked the line-up Berry had overall this past weekend. 

Good to be talking about who are extra skater is and not how our Top 6 is shaping up :D

• Upvote 1