SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at Purple Cows - Pairwise Primer

GoalieMask

1 minute ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

One could argue that as it currently stands Jordan is a bust. Only two first round picks from that draft have played less games in the NHL than Jordan. While a number of players taken after him have played more games.

Again, and? He played in the NHL. Go back to the thread. If you want to argue Schmaltz isn't a great NHL is one thing, but he's still an NHL player. Tychonick absolutely has enough skill to play in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I've jumped out of a plane a few times, but wouldn't consider myself a skydiver. Not trying to be a d!@#, but agree to disagree I guess.

I don't really understand. So, if he played in the NHL, even if it's just for one game... what would he identify himself as? I know identity is a tricky thing in 2019 :D

26 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I've jumped out of a plane a few times, but wouldn't consider myself a skydiver. Not trying to be a d!@#, but agree to disagree I guess.

Not sure I can argue with someone who would voluntarily jump out of a perfectly good plane.

jk :)

1 hour ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Smart money is on a split, though I could see MNSU sweeping given there good record at home, still if a sweep occurred either way it will still be a close series, I'm betting both coaches will be preaching the "stay out of the box" gospel hard to there players, as both teams are dangerous on the PP.

As to the ASU coach... I have been saying for a while, if they are serious about joining the NCHC, they need college caliber coaching staff, a real arena, and real training facilities. Listening to the ASU coach whine after the Saturday night game was pretty pathetic, it was the kind of salty homerism that makes Frank Mazzocco sound like an unbiased figure by comparison.

Was shocked when I saw their home record!!  Insane!!  A split would be fabulous. 

On 10/16/2019 at 8:34 AM, Sodbuster said:

Like I said earlier, Mankato is and has always been (think WCHA days) a black hole as far as TV goes.

If you have Charter cable in MN, you'll have the games. Channels 191 and 826. In years past, Comcast in the Twin Cities has picked up some of the games and put them on some random channel (I think it was 999). I think Mediacom has picked up some of the games in the past as well and put them on MC22.

21 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I mean Schmaltz has played 42 NHL games... that's not a cup of coffee. Is he an NHL mainstay, no. But has he at one point been an NHL player? yes

When you've played less than twenty percent of your total professional games in the NHL I would not classify you as an NHL player. This is just my opinion. I also did not do the math on the percent of games played, but I'm sure I'm pretty close.

1 hour ago, mmichaels said:

If you have Charter cable in MN, you'll have the games. Channels 191 and 826. In years past, Comcast in the Twin Cities has picked up some of the games and put them on some random channel (I think it was 999). I think Mediacom has picked up some of the games in the past as well and put them on MC22.

The TV thing is falling by the wayside, I mean as streaming quality and internet speeds improve it just isn't going to make sense to have traditional TV channels for this kind of thing anymore, it will just be an app on the smart tv/console/fire/etc. or a streaming site.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

The TV thing is falling by the wayside, I mean as streaming quality and internet speeds improve it just isn't going to make sense to have traditional TV channels for this kind of thing anymore, it will just be an app on the smart tv/console/fire/etc. or a streaming site.

I'm all for that, but since the cheapest I can get these games is $30 (paying for the whole month) means Mankato is losing out on money.  If they were $5-$10 per game, I'd pay it, but not $15 per game, especially without knowing what the quality will be like.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

When less than twenty percent of your total professional games played have not been in the NHL I would not classify you as an NHL player. This is just my opinion. I also did not do the math on the percent of games played, but I'm sure I'm pretty close.

That sounds like a totally arbitrary number that you just came up with :lol: 

4 minutes ago, BigGreyAnt41 said:

I'm all for that, but since the cheapest I can get these games is $30 (paying for the whole month) means Mankato is losing out on money.  If they were $5-$10 per game, I'd pay it, but not $15 per game, especially without knowing what the quality will be like.

I agree there is definitely a lot of development that still needs to happen, but I think as you see these companies start to mature, you will see more teams  and leagues start be covered by a single service.

1 hour ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Im almost ready for this - Oh & the Orville

20 hours ago, tnt said:

I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum on this.  I think getting handled might take away some of the confidence gained last weekend.  I think we hear a lot of talk about swag and confidence from the players, coaches and announcers because the coaches have probably emphasized it.  I would hope one weekend wouldn’t damage confidence that much, but watching body language last year from week to week, makes me wonder if that might enter their minds again. Here’s to hoping we don’t find out.

I thought about that too, tnt, and you could be right.   I guess a person would have to know the personality of the team pretty well to make an educated guess.  Certainly better than I do. 

Like you say, maybe we will be wondering if kicking cow azz both nights will give them too much confidence.

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

That sounds like a totally arbitrary number that you just came up with :lol: 

If you spend an entire season at the NHL level that's a good threshold. Another would be signing a one way contract (which I believe Jordan did at one point).

The original question was what made the OP say Tychonick looked NHL caliber.