SiouxSports.com Forum

next up EWU

Nodak78

I have checked the EWU fan board and it has been close to dead.   Understandable.  They realize their backs are against the wall.  They are scared of two tough opponents, Sac St and Montana.  Nothing about UND except a couple mentioned UND plays physical.  2 even mentioned UND might win because EWU is hurting for players.

2 years ago we were out many players and lost to EWU in Grand forks.  A hard fought game.

Must on their board have them responding and beating UND.  EWU scoring anywhere from 30+ to 55 points.

This Schmitty needs to dial up some super pressure on their QB.  He is very good scrambler and can throw on the run.

This is a statement game for UND.

12 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

I have checked the EWU fan board and it has been close to dead.   Understandable.  They realize their backs are against the wall.  They are scared of two tough opponents, Sac St and Montana.  Nothing about UND except a couple mentioned UND plays physical.  2 even mentioned UND might win because EWU is hurting for players.

2 years ago we were out many players and lost to EWU in Grand forks.  A hard fought game.

Must on their board have them responding and beating UND.  EWU scoring anywhere from 30+ to 55 points.

This Schmitty needs to dial up some super pressure on their QB.  He is very good scrambler and can throw on the run.

This is a statement game for UND.

This game comes down to their QB.  He looked terrible against Idaho - will he get back on track?  He reminds me a lot of Trey Lance, and may be a better runner/scrambler.  Hopefully UND can get it's running game going, that's the second biggest determining factor in this game IMO.

Holy crap, the weather for this game looks to be pretty crazy.  Will this affect how the teams play?  Normally I'd say this would be to UND's advantage, but our passing defense has been better than our run defense, and our O-line doesn't get very much push.  This would be assuming that the weather causes both teams to run more.  What are your thoughts on how this affects the game and game plan for each team?  It could SNOW!

image.png.07f5dd958bcf6865a30c09a0823e27c4.png

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Holy crap, the weather for this game looks to be pretty crazy.  Will this affect how the teams play?  Normally I'd say this would be to UND's advantage, but our passing defense has been better than our run defense, and our O-line doesn't get very much push.  This would be assuming that the weather causes both teams to run more.  What are your thoughts on how this affects the game and game plan for each team?  It could SNOW!

image.png.07f5dd958bcf6865a30c09a0823e27c4.png

I'd say this helps them slightly more than it helps us.  We are use to playing in a dome, they are use to playing in crappy weather at home towards the end of the year, so crappy weather games are normal for them.  Been a while since we've played a crappy weather game hasn't it?  Our DB's have been playing great, if a DB slips....boom a WR is wide open, granted this could happen to either team.  

I agree with the other previous poster that a lot will depend on if their QB has a hot game or not, and if we can get any running game established.  

33 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Kevin Marshall kind of lost me when he said we've always had really good special teams :lol:

Don't get me wrong, we could certainly win the special teams battle, but it certainly has not been a team strength.

I bet he was thinking of Santiego

51 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Kevin Marshall kind of lost me when he said we've always had really good special teams :lol:

Don't get me wrong, we could certainly win the special teams battle, but it certainly has not been a team strength.

Yeah he doesn't know much about UND.  Interesting that Howe mentioned Kett's ineffectiveness against Drake....

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I thought Kett did OK going 19-25 but the offense didn't do anything, really.  got shutout the entire 2nd quarter.  

Kett was completing a lot but they were all short passes, never really tried to stretch the field when he was in. The passing game didn't come alive until Zimm started attacking downfield. Makes me wonder if everything short was a product of play-calling or if Kett only wanted to go short.

14 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I'd say this helps them slightly more than it helps us.  We are use to playing in a dome, they are use to playing in crappy weather at home towards the end of the year, so crappy weather games are normal for them.  Been a while since we've played a crappy weather game hasn't it?  Our DB's have been playing great, if a DB slips....boom a WR is wide open, granted this could happen to either team.  

I agree with the other previous poster that a lot will depend on if their QB has a hot game or not, and if we can get any running game established.  

I look at it a couple different ways, I'm sure it's like riding a bike, so but this years version of EWU has not practiced or played in anything like the weather will be on Saturday, so that should help mitigate that advantage a little. It would be another thing IMO if they were able to practice in those conditions all week. 

As far as looking at the teams strenghts / weaknesses, I don't really see it helping one time that much over the other, but I might actually give the advantage a little to UND. Reasoning being, in sloppy conditions, it will hurt the offenses more than defenses. EWU's strength is their offense.

I think the key will be UND has not been able to run the ball and EWU has not been able to stop the run, something is going to give on Saturday. Whoever wins that battle will win the game. 

25 minutes ago, Feff said:

Kett was completing a lot but they were all short passes, never really tried to stretch the field when he was in. The passing game didn't come alive until Zimm started attacking downfield. Makes me wonder if everything short was a product of play-calling or if Kett only wanted to go short.

Exactly what I was wondering. I feel like Kett got hurt before they opened the playbook up and started taking some of those longer shots. I guess we will see how it goes this weekend, though if weather is a factor we may not see the downfield stuff until the Davis game.

I just hope they have more plans to use Cam, and JJ needs to get low when running. Kid is a horse, time to make an impact and get some yardage. If the run game comes alive, we've got this.

14 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Have they taken off for Spokane yet? Weather is going to be pretty crummy out there this weekend so hopefully they are landing today. I know MT is going to to get pounded with snow.

They normally fly out the day before 

This game will come down to what most games comes down to: turnovers and clutch plays. 

UND has to protect the ball  and force a few turnovers like they did against Sam Houston State.  Also, when Eastern Washington faces a third or fourth down, UND needs to get off the field defensively. Against NDSU, und  could not stop Trey Lance on 3rd down.   Und needs to be able to stop the EWU quarterback in this game in those situations.  Conversely, when UND faces third down offensively, they must convert. Too many three and outs will put too much pressure on the UND defense. It happened against NDSU, it cannot happen against EWU.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Exactly what I was wondering. I feel like Kett got hurt before they opened the playbook up and started taking some of those longer shots. I guess we will see how it goes this weekend, though if weather is a factor we may not see the downfield stuff until the Davis game.

I just hope they have more plans to use Cam, and JJ needs to get low when running. Kid is a horse, time to make an impact and get some yardage. If the run game comes alive, we've got this.

On a normal blocking scheme there is supposed to be a designated hole/gap.   In zone blocking......not 100% sure....but does the back just view and look for the best hole, or is there supposed to be a designated gap for the RB to look for?  If so, JJ is probably more effective when he knows he has to barrow through a designated hole. Of course on any scheme, a RB may need to bounce it out of the designated hole, but wonder if JJ's skill set isn't the best match for zone blocking?  Either way, hope we figure it out this weekend, I'm sure it's been a focal point the past two weeks.  Gordan seems like he'd be a good RB to slide and pick the best hole.  

A D II school scored 30 points on them this year, we need to score 40.....and hold them to under 40 and we win.  If Idaho can  hold them to under 30 we can do it.  They are at home though and their backs are against the playoff wall right now so they are going to be pretty amped up.  We need to get off to a good start in the first quarter! 

"To me they haven't seen nobody like us," Eastern Washington wide receiver Jayson Williams said. "They haven't seen a receiving core like us. Earlier on they played North Dakota State and that's a top dog right now in the last few years. But North Dakota State isn't Eastern Washington. We got the wide receiving core, we got the quarterback and the offensive line. They haven't seen our offensive line. If we are clicking, nobody is going to stop us."

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/ewus-45-straight-weeks-as-ranked-team-in-jeopardy-if-they-lose-saturday/293-e03c17a8-8854-4057-8afa-43df864d4b76

1 minute ago, Nodak78 said:

"To me they haven't seen nobody like us," Eastern Washington wide receiver Jayson Williams said. "They haven't seen a receiving core like us. Earlier on they played North Dakota State and that's a top dog right now in the last few years. But North Dakota State isn't Eastern Washington. We got the wide receiving core, we got the quarterback and the offensive line. They haven't seen our offensive line. If we are clicking, nobody is going to stop us."

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/ewus-45-straight-weeks-as-ranked-team-in-jeopardy-if-they-lose-saturday/293-e03c17a8-8854-4057-8afa-43df864d4b76

2CE97655-7E32-4F20-87F6-855FB246B6F3.gif

• Upvote 4