SiouxSports.com Forum

Who’s Next?

sioux24/7

On 5/2/2019 at 4:55 PM, UND Fan said:

I am curious about your reasoning regarding Phillips. 

He had what, 3 good seasons out of 7 at NDSU? And one of those was with Miles' players. And then he took over an Ohio program that had been one of the better mid major programs in the area and borderline ran it into the ground. You could argue he didn't get the support he needed, but he's also not going to get it here. 

I think he deserves credit for what he did his last two years at NDSU, but then you're banking on those two years being what he is rather than the rest of his career, which id rather not do. 

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The one thing SDSU can do is hire a P5 assistant, but those are much more likely to leave to a bigger program.

Jones was a Power 5 assistant when we "landed" him.

We just need to find the right fit.  I used to think the "right fit" was an assistant from a big name school.  Now I think the "right fit" is probably somebody with a proven history in the "big chair" regardless of if it is at the DI, DII, DIII, or even NAIA level........

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Jones was a Power 5 assistant when we "landed" him.

We just need to find the right fit.  I used to think the "right fit" was an assistant from a big name school.  Now I think the "right fit" is probably somebody with a proven history in the "big chair" regardless of if it is at the DI, DII, DIII, or even NAIA level........

Good point, but P5 assistant salaries have grown faster than the salaries of the lower DI conferences.  

There was also some confusion about Jones exact position at Iowa when he was hired at UND.

Consensus for the most part was he had just recently got demoted to "Director of Basketball Operations" at Iowa before he was hired at UND.

And had never been any sort of head coach before UND.

20 minutes ago, Cratter said:

There was also some confusion about Jones exact position at Iowa when he was hired at UND.

Consensus for the most part was he had just recently got demoted to "Director of Basketball Operations" at Iowa before he was hired at UND.

And had never been any sort of head coach before UND.

I believe you are correct! Jones was Basktball opps guy who did zero recruiting and no HC experience. Unsure how he was even in the mix for the job here at UND? 

Jones did a good job at UND...but at that time of his hire,  the transition to D1 was in play....so that's why they went with Jones....took a Big 10 guy, over a FIT guy (like a Craig Smith, who was winning at Mayville). ...oops!!

Randall Herbst should have got job when Rich left for UNI...!

I am in favor of Coach Herbst...former players, past UND coaches, local AAU and HIgh School coaches have all stated support. Also as posted before, I think UND needs a recruiter's mindset at the Head Coach spot!! Plus it appears he WANTS the job and is in pursuit.

• Upvote 3

On 5/1/2019 at 1:43 PM, FightingSiouxHawks said:

Randall Herbst 

Former assistant at UND for Rich Glass, recruited Jeremy Beasley among others! 

Recruiting coordinator at UNO during their transition, built the program to a summit league contender, knows the summit league & Midwest recruiting.  

Recruited  Minn Mr basketball JT Gibson to UNO over UND among others in the summit league.  Bleeds Green!  

The hiring profile looks to be for Herbst.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, UofND-Alum said:

Jones did a good job at UND...but at that time of his hire,  the transition to D1 was in play....so that's why they went with Jones....took a Big 10 guy, over a FIT guy (like a Craig Smith, who was winning at Mayville). ...oops!!

Randall Herbst should have got job when Rich left for UNI...!

I am in favor of Coach Herbst...former players, past UND coaches, local AAU and HIgh School coaches have all stated support. Also as posted before, I think UND needs a recruiter's mindset at the Head Coach spot!! Plus it appears he WANTS the job and is in pursuit.

i'm in the herbst camp also...all u hear are good things about him. 

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

and maybe herbst can hire jerome beasley as director of operations (california connection)

and myron allen as recruiting coordinator (texas connection)

This is in jest, right?

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The hiring profile looks to be for Herbst.

The current head coach box was overlooked by me.

Herbst had great success at a low performing DII school in Mary, but now knows the lay of the land in Wisconsin, Nebraska,  Iowa and probably Illinois as a DI assistant, in addition to North Dakota and Minnesota.

Jeff Boschee appears to check all the boxes.  That choice would probably make a huge splash in the ND media and non-UND fans in North Dakota too.  It would raise the profile of the program, at least for a while.

He appears to be a good coach, but isn’t the top one in the MIAA, which is McCollum.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Increase 500 hundred fans a game times $8 a ticket times 10 home games equals $40,000

we are talking a competitive salary could be $240,000. -  $100,000 over what Jones made

Will the math work or will we need other revenue sources?

We need the guys who are always talking about how much money they make to fess up. Anyone who thinks they give enough to influence hiring and firing should easily cover the needed increases in salaries for coaches in all sports. That’s what occurs at other schools. If there are 8-10 of them it’s only another $50-60 grand per year.  

• Like 1

Ryan Miller. He’s the only one that has already proved he can beat SDSU and NDSU.

can coach, has great connections, can definitely recruit, and probably not another guy who lose beating SDSU more than him.

question would be what he makes at tcu and can we compete with that.

I am ALL IN on coach Herbst. Since this started to unfold, he has been a name that is always lead the list IMO.

I went back and did some research...Look simply at his recruiting....

At Mary...Moody, played at Lake Region, Right in Sioux & Bison backyard and both passed on him - 4 Team All American, POY NSIC, D2 kid drafted in D League...and I believe he was a qualifier!!! Saul and NDSU passed on him...also remember they passed on Nate Walters......

At UNO...Summit League players recruited at UNO - 
JT Gibson - Mr Basketball - was offered by all Dakota schools.

Jake White - Wichita St  transfer... everyone wanted him

TraDeon Hollins - 2 time 1st team All summit League & led nation in steals 

MN kids- Marcus Tyus, Mike Rostampour- to UNO also.

Coach Herbst has demonstrated the ability to recruit as an assistant and as head coach. I dont feal that Boschee, Thorson or anyone else who has been listed can match what he has done over the years. Then you add with fact he won as a head coach, and holds the associate HEAD COACH title...its just all FITS.

8 hours ago, UofND-Alum said:

I am ALL IN on coach Herbst. Since this started to unfold, he has been a name that is always lead the list IMO.

I went back and did some research...Look simply at his recruiting....

At Mary...Moody, played at Lake Region, Right in Sioux & Bison backyard and both passed on him - 4 Team All American, POY NSIC, D2 kid drafted in D League...and I believe he was a qualifier!!! Saul and NDSU passed on him...also remember they passed on Nate Walters......

At UNO...Summit League players recruited at UNO - 
JT Gibson - Mr Basketball - was offered by all Dakota schools.

Jake White - Wichita St  transfer... everyone wanted him

TraDeon Hollins - 2 time 1st team All summit League & led nation in steals 

MN kids- Marcus Tyus, Mike Rostampour- to UNO also.

Coach Herbst has demonstrated the ability to recruit as an assistant and as head coach. I dont feal that Boschee, Thorson or anyone else who has been listed can match what he has done over the years. Then you add with fact he won as a head coach, and holds the associate HEAD COACH title...its just all FITS.

I dont think NDSU passed on Wolters. That was awhile back but I am pretty sure NDSU wanted him.