SiouxSports.com Forum

Who’s Next?

sioux24/7

Looks like UND basketball is the last division I job opening. What is the time line for the AD to start visiting with candidates? I was told this past weekend....but also heard that UND Human Resources wanted it posted officially for 2 weeks. That is crazy...

Never good timing I suppose.

2 hours ago, UofND-Alum said:

Looks like UND basketball is the last division I job opening. What is the time line for the AD to start visiting with candidates? I was told this past weekend....but also heard that UND Human Resources wanted it posted officially for 2 weeks. That is crazy...

Never good timing I suppose.

State law.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

State law that doesn't need to be followed.  There are several ways around it, no?

If you promote from within, then yes.  If it's posted externally, the minimum post period kicks in.  Now I don't think there's anything that specifically says you can't talk to applicants before the public posting period is up, but UND HR may recommend against it to keep from discouraging potential applicants.

15 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Does this also include plastering applicants' names all over the media, or do I recall some recent changes around that?   

Yep.  Law was changed with regard to Presidential searches, so only the top 3 or so are publicized.  Pretty sure coach searches are still 100% public.

14 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Pretty sure coach searches are still 100% public.

Take it for what it is worth but the Fargo media claimed they could only get the names of the finalists for their WBB coaching search. 

19 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Take it for what it is worth but the Fargo media claimed they could only get the names of the finalists for their WBB coaching search. 

Just did some research and I was wrong.  They expanded the "3 finalists" provision to all state hiring.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Just did some research and I was wrong.  They expanded the "3 finalists" provision to all state hiring.

I like the idea of interviewing a handful of "semi-finalists", naming one finalist for the job and offering said finalist.   

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

one plus if horner gets it is that i would assume the roster wouldn't change too much bc he might have recruited a few/bunch of current players...

I would like to have a proven winning head coach. Just sayin :silly: 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

I like the idea of interviewing a handful of "semi-finalists", naming one finalist for the job and offering said finalist.   

And then fully vetting the candidate after you name the finalist, maybe get some SJW's to see if they can dig up anything on them and then vote again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, philjackson said:

I would like to have a proven winning head coach. Just sayin :silly: 

just saying starting from scratch sucks...there is talent there...would suck to have everyone transfer away and have no one left.

i'm good with herbst, horner, or boschee

50 minutes ago, petey23 said:

And then fully vetting the candidate after you name the finalist, maybe get some SJW's to see if they can dig up anything on them and then vote again.

e.g. they hurt a player's feelings one time by yelling at them after dogging it on the three-man weave.   

41 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

just saying starting from scratch sucks...there is talent there...would suck to have everyone transfer away and have no one left.

i'm good with herbst, horner, or boschee

Sometimes a small step back to take a big leap forward is okay. They need to get the hire right, regardless of who leaves (which so far no one has, but that could chance of course). 

14 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Sometimes a small step back to take a big leap forward is okay. They need to get the hire right, regardless of who leaves (which so far no one has, but that could chance of course). 

Yeah I would hate to hire Horner only to keep our current roster. If he’s the right guy then great but not simply to keep the roster intact.