SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2019-20

cberkas

Great series of articles in the 'Fargo Herald' (Grand Forks afternoon paper) on the future and vision of Big Ten hockey...I found the commish' comments about affiliate membership in any BIG sport telling....they've added 2 affiliates....John Hopkins in lacrosse and Notre Dame in hockey........more to do with 'like minded institutions in standing' , than athletic performance....kinda puts closure as to why UND wasn't asked to be a part of BIG hockey....

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, John W. said:

Great series of articles in the 'Fargo Herald' (Grand Forks afternoon paper) on the future and vision of Big Ten hockey...I found the commish' comments about affiliate membership in any BIG sport telling....they've added 2 affiliates....John Hopkins in lacrosse and Notre Dame in hockey........more to do with 'like minded institutions in standing' , than athletic performance....kinda puts closure as to why UND wasn't asked to be a part of BIG hockey....

John Hopkins is king in lacrosse, it had a lot to do with them needing John Hopkins (who was independent) to get the B1G an auto bid in lacrosse.

Notre Dame was added because they were getting embarrassed by not getting more then one or two teams in the NCAA tournament. Notre Dame in their first season in the conference destroyed everyone in the B1G. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, I knew that John'S Hopkins is a power in lacrosse and that Notre Dame has brought success and depth to the BIG in hockey, my point was/is that UND is not in the same realm of academic standing/prestige as these 2 affiliates or the BIG,  which was the main reason for the non invite....

5 hours ago, cberkas said:

John Hopkins is king in lacrosse, it had a lot to do with them needing John Hopkins (who was independent) to get the B1G an auto bid in lacrosse.

Notre Dame was added because they were getting embarrassed by not getting more then one or two teams in the NCAA tournament. Notre Dame in their first season in the conference destroyed everyone in the B1G. 

Notre Dame's original decision to go Hockey East after the realignment was a head scratcher for me though. Yes, Notre Dame instantly made the B1G more competitive but truthfully it made sense for both parties way more so than Notre Dame's jump to HE. I don't think the B1G hockey conference said "Hey, we suck. We need to add a new member to be more competitive nationally.", it just worked out that Notre Dame was on an upswing(while Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan outside of their Frozen Four run have all been very underwhelming) and rolled the conference in their first year.

Plus I think the B1G still holds out hope that by catering to them in other sports Notre Dame will join for football/all sports even though that ship has sailed a million times over:lol:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, John W. said:

Yes, I knew that John'S Hopkins is a power in lacrosse and that Notre Dame has brought success and depth to the BIG in hockey, my point was/is that UND is not in the same realm of academic standing/prestige as these 2 affiliates or the BIG,  which was the main reason for the non invite....

So you have it as fact that the reason UND wasn’t extended an invite is because of the reason you cite? The tone of your post sounds like you take delight in stating UND isn’t of the same academic standing/prestige as the affiliates or the B1G. Any chance to take a dig at UND is kinda how your posts come across to me. 

• Upvote 3

Johnny boy has a weird obsession regarding the hockey program. The guy can’t go very long without needing to say something about it. 

I think it’s amusing cause he always plays the victim card when it comes to his posts that are clearly bait to get a reaction.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Johnny boy has a weird obsession regarding the hockey program. The guy can’t go very long without needing to say something about it. 

I think it’s amusing cause he always plays the victim card when it comes to his posts that are clearly bait to get a reaction.

He has an obsession with all niche sports...take canoeing for example.;)

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

CC’s incoming freshmen class for 2019-2020. For the most part, more small bodies, but hopefully they’re better skating players than in years past. Josiah Slavin among one of the incoming freshman.

https://cctigers.com/news/2019/7/31/mens-ice-hockey-tigers-announce-class-of-2023.aspx?fbclid=IwAR1L9KAx4fF0JDOR26AhchCPkP3p6pyaPDcz668bUsg-UVgBdAeJ5Wz6qmo