SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2019-20

cberkas

13 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I wonder if St. Clown has a " National 15th runner-up" trophy made up too?

I don’t know about you, but I’d prefer to enjoy watching a 30-6-3 season and an NCAA first round loss vs watching an 18-17-2 season where the team doesn’t even make it out of the first round of its conference tournament.  

But,  I suppose there are those among us who would rather be the Florida Panthers than the Stanley Cup Finals loser, right?

16 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I remember Jeff Panzer skating off the ice with the National Runner-Up trophy in 2001.  Yea, what a cringeworthy moment of absolute embarrassment, losing the national championship game in OT.

Why was it embarrassing?  We made it to the final game and lost in OT...not sure why it was cringeworthy.

• Upvote 2

2nd place trophys are not something ive ever believed in. Ever see the second place Stan Jr cup?.. the vince jr trophy... a smaller baseball trophy with a fewer rediculous flagpoles? 

The "At least you tried" Cup?

Same as a 5th place high jump ribbon.

The only question is do you wait to throw it away at home or find the nearest trash can and float that sorry bastard right in there.

20 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I don’t know about you, but I’d prefer to enjoy watching a 30-6-3 season and an NCAA first round loss vs watching an 18-17-2 season where the team doesn’t even make it out of the first round of its conference tournament.  

But,  I suppose there are those among us who would rather be the Florida Panthers than the Stanley Cup Finals loser, right?

That’s why I never understood why people hated Hak and wanted him fired every year we lost in the NCAA tournament. He at least got the team in the NCAA Tournament and fans loved being on top of the rankings going into the tournament, it sucked when we lost but we knew (didn’t we) that we would be back the following season. Look what has happened since the NCAA Championship season with as many described it as Berry’s title with Hak’s players, missing the playoffs in multiple seasons and doubt we will get back there in the near future. There is no confidence in this team that was there when Hak was there. Losing in the playoffs sucks but it’s better to be there than to be on the sidelines.  

I’m wondering what is worse: “a cringe worthy moment of absolute embarrassment, losing the national championship game in OT”  or being “the Stanley Cup Finals loser? Almost like comparing ‘apples to apples. Maybe in hindsight some who post would like to be the Florida Panthers instead.

2 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

That’s why I never understood why people hated Hak and wanted him fired every year we lost in the NCAA tournament. He at least got the team in the NCAA Tournament and fans loved being on top of the rankings going into the tournament, it sucked when we lost but we knew (didn’t we) that we would be back the following season. Look what has happened since the NCAA Championship season with as many described it as Berry’s title with Hak’s players, missing the playoffs in multiple seasons and doubt we will get back there in the near future. There is no confidence in this team that was there when Hak was there. Losing in the playoffs sucks but it’s better to be there than to be on the sidelines.  

I'd take losing in the semifinals of the Frozen Four over missing the playoffs any day!!

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

42 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I'd take losing in the semifinals of the Frozen Four over missing the playoffs any day!!

This is a false choice. And we have to stop putting stock into it.

• Upvote 1

I'm happy when "We" play exciting hockey, compete well every game, and show improvement as the season progresses.

I'm happier when "We" do the above and make the National tournament.

I'm happier yet when "We" make the Frozen Four.

I'm happiest when "We" win hang a banner.

I'm happy to be a fan of the best program in the nation and have a long way to go before that changes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

It's one thing to be proud of a season that fell short of the ultimate goal and another thing to hang banners, hoist trophies, or tout about second place or less...  

o.jpg

Wait...are those Duke basketball banners simply for making the Final Four?  

@MafiaMan, so are you suggesting we start hanging Runner-Up banners and NCAA participation banners?

Individual conference title banners are okay.

We have one banner with all the years we made the Frozen Four and one banner for the years we won our conference tournament.

That is as far as we should go, IMHO.

22 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

@MafiaMan, so are you suggesting we start hanging Runner-Up banners and NCAA participation banners?

No.  But I have no problem with programs like UMass doing so.  They're trying to BUILD tradition...something that North Dakota, Michigan, Minnesota, Boston U, etc. already have.  

• Upvote 3

Banner-shaming should not be a thing. 

Banners help acclimate new fans - and new residents - to the team/franchise/program, and they help to tell a story, and history.

Banners offer something to look at when your seat-mate has bad breath, or bores you with the same story for the 100th time.

Banners are good business for local designers and seamstresses.

If I'm not mistaken, REA actually has a PERMANENT banner-raising apparatus installed at one end of the rink. If things don't turn around quickly, that alone may get UND mocked. (Not to mention the chain and gears will rust up.)

• Upvote 1

On 4/25/2019 at 7:45 AM, MafiaMan said:

I remember Jeff Panzer skating off the ice with the National Runner-Up trophy in 2001.  

I remember the Albany (NY) airport shortly after that and Jeff Panzer is sitting in a waiting area and has his feet up on it and is talking with Bryan Lundbohm. They see freshman David Lundbohm coming into the waiting area. 

Jeff Panzer says: "David, take a look. This is all this thing is good for." 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I remember the Albany (NY) airport shortly after that and Jeff Panzer is sitting in a waiting area and has his feet up on it and is talking with Bryan Lundbohm. They see freshman David Lundbohm coming into the waiting area. 

Jeff Panzer says: "David, take a look. This is all this thing is good for." 

And I'm sure in looking back at it years later, Jeff is thankful to have had the opportunity to play in two NCAA championship games vs one and sitting at home after not having even made the tournament his senior season.  

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

No.  But I have no problem with programs like UMass doing so.  They're trying to BUILD tradition...something that North Dakota, Michigan, Minnesota, Boston U, etc. already have.  

You put up banners as your building and then as you get more meaningful banners to put up, you consolidate...you put up NCAA tournament banners and conference regular season banners and conference tournament banners and regional championship banners. Once you win a national title, then you take down the NCAA tournament banners and consolidate them into one banner with the years on it.

My goodness is Wisconsin getting a player in Cole Caufield.....talk about a kid who can flat out finish....kid always finds the soft spot in the zone and great hands in traffic.  

And he just tied Ovechkin for goals in a tournament.....