SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2019-20

cberkas

On 11/30/2019 at 8:59 AM, squirtcoach said:

I have a question for those who know hockey that I really can’t figure out.

When friend of mine asked why Mankato is doing so well, I remembered a quip from Tom H during the October series that the Mavs had a line consisting of three 25 year olds “who would be filing for social security when they graduated”.  I said the Mavs are a lot older than the Bulldogs.  

On a whim I looked up the Maverick roster and saw only ‘94-‘97 birthdays.  Then I started thinking; how did you have 22 year old freshmen?  Where did they play after juniors?  I randomly clicked on the link to Shane McMahan’s bio. He was done with Juniors in 2016 and last year was his first year with the Mavs. His bio is silent on where he played in the intervening years.  So my question is: Where does a guy play for two years between Juniors and College?  Canadian Seniors?

Thanks for your insight.

Addressing McMahan only, as he played for the Fargo Force before Mankato and I knew someone close to him.  Shane moved to Mankato the summer after juniors, but did not suit up at least the first season.  He did not play elsewhere.  Reasoning would be speculation on my part, so I won't do it.

A similar thing happened with Colton St. Clair with our team.  Got to school, only to find out the NCAA had disallowed one of his on-line classes for credit and he ended up practicing/working out a whole additional year before playing with the team.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, siouxforcefans said:

Addressing McMahan only, as he played for the Fargo Force before Mankato and I knew someone close to him.  Shane moved to Mankato the summer after juniors, but did not suit up at least the first season.  He did not play elsewhere.  Reasoning would be speculation on my part, so I won't do it.

A similar thing happened with Colton St. Clair with our team.  Got to school, only to find out the NCAA had disallowed one of his on-line classes for credit and he ended up practicing/working out a whole additional year before playing with the team.

It wasn’t meant to pick on Shane.  He literally is the first rostered hockey player I looked up after finding only birthdays between ‘94-‘97.  I now see there was a typo on his Maverick bio.  He did play juniors until ‘17. So one year red-shirted Makes sense.

I personally have no problem with any team having players who utilized their entire junior eligibility.  Those guys have an incredible desire to play the sport they love.  I salute them.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, squirtcoach said:

It wasn’t meant to pick on Shane.  He literally is the first rostered hockey player I looked up after finding only birthdays between ‘94-‘97.  I now see there was a typo on his Maverick bio.  He did play juniors until ‘17. So one year red-shirted Makes sense.

I personally have no problem with any team having players who utilized their entire junior eligibility.  Those guys have an incredible desire to play the sport they love.  I salute them.

Yeah, I think McMahan is the exception. Typically, the kids MSU brings in have played 1-2 years of juniors and then come right in and play. One of the MTU guys over on USCHO did a study on the commitments of all the teams and their players. The oldest teams' players have the shortest average time between when they verbally commit and when they play. They truly are late bloomers in most cases. We've gotten lucky in that many of these older guys have turned out to be pretty darn good. It's certainly not the easiest route to being competitive, but this coaching staff does a pretty amazing job of getting the right kids for them and developing them into good players.

• Upvote 1

UW is going thru some of the same of what BU went thru with all their talented young players.
Can't believe that UW team with Caufield and Turcotte is a couple games under .500 and only has 2 B10 conference wins in 9 games.

The games I've watched with UW, those 2 can take over a game...also appears that they can disappear at times as well...

6 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Cornell remains undefeated, beating Harvard 3-1.
BC's surge & Notre Dame's slump continues...BC wins 4-0.
SCSU gets their first NCHC win of the season, beating Miami 2-1.
What the heck Denver?  Losing 4-1 to ASU behind Walker's hat trick.

And yet DU retains the 4 spot in pair wise. What’s up with that. 

Cornell beats Harvard 3-1

UMass beats Maine 5-1

UConn beats Vermont 3-2

Lowell beats Providence 3-2

Michigan Tech beats UAA 2-1

BGSU beats UAH 9-3

Bemidji beats Alaska 3-1

Mankato beats LSSU 5-1

St. Cloud beats Miami 2-1

Duluth beats Omaha 6-3

Michigan State beats Wisconsin 3-0

Ohio State beats Minnesota 3-2 OT