SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2019-20

cberkas

25 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Schools that I would enjoy seeing make a return to the upper echelon of the college hockey landscape:

3)  UNH.  The Wildcats have a storied history and have just never been able to get over the hump.  The last few years of the Dick Umile regime were rather painful to watch.  Let’s hope things are on the upside soon.

2)  Lake Superior State.  The glory days of 1988, 1992, and 1994 are a long ways back in the rear-view mirror.  It would be nice to see this school make a comeback sometime soon.  Those jerseys, too, with the anchor on them...beautiful.  

1)  Maine.  Oh, man, Paul Kariya has been gone a long time and this school really missed the boat on hiring his teammate Jim Montgomery as head coach when the opportunity was theirs for the taking.  The Black Bears simply need to return to being a top tier program - and the sooner, the better.

I don’t think Montgomery could have fixed Maine.

23 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Schools that I would enjoy seeing make a return to the upper echelon of the college hockey landscape:

3)  UNH.  The Wildcats have a storied history and have just never been able to get over the hump.  The last few years of the Dick Umile regime were rather painful to watch.  Let’s hope things are on the upside soon.

2)  Lake Superior State.  The glory days of 1988, 1992, and 1994 are a long ways back in the rear-view mirror.  It would be nice to see this school make a comeback sometime soon.  Those jerseys, too, with the anchor on them...beautiful.  

1)  Maine.  Oh, man, Paul Kariya has been gone a long time and this school really missed the boat on hiring his teammate Jim Montgomery as head coach when the opportunity was theirs for the taking.  The Black Bears simply need to return to being a top tier program - and the sooner, the better.

I get the LSSU and Maine but UNH a storied history?  They have zero with a 0 national champions. I have been around a while myself and never thought of UNH as storied program. When you think of Storied history, you think  UM, UND, Wisconsin, DU, CC UMTC BU, BC not UNH but to each is own. That just kind of surprised me. Didn’t Van Riemsdyke play for UNH?

7 minutes ago, crb1 said:

I get the LSSU and Maine but UNH a storied history?  They have zero with a 0 national champions. I have been around a while myself and never thought of UNH as storied program. When you think of Storied history, you think  UM, UND, Wisconsin, DU, CC UMTC BU, BC not UNH but to each is own. That just kind of surprised me. Didn’t Van Riemsdyke play for UNH?

UNH hockey dates back to 1926 and the Wildcats have 20+ NCAA tournament appearances along with 7 Frozen Fours since 1977.  Just because they have not won a national championship doesn’t mean they lack history and tradition.

• Upvote 2

On 12/7/2019 at 4:48 AM, Godsmack said:

I went down to ASU for a series last December at Oceanside Arena. The place is a total dump. I’ve seen high school arenas better than that. The great irony is that it’s named Oceanside Arena. 

That said, it should be mentioned, that they’re building a 5,000 seat arena on campus.

Well, it is “Oceanside”, just a long walk to the beach...

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

UNH hockey dates back to 1926 and the Wildcats have 20+ NCAA tournament appearances along with 7 Frozen Fours since 1977.  Just because they have not won a national championship doesn’t mean they lack history and tradition.

Meh, ok. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, crb1 said:

Meh, ok. 

So using that as the criteria, Bowling Green and Northern Michigan have noteworthy programs while UNH does not.  Colorado College’s last NCAA title came in 1957, but they make the cut, eh?  

UNH lost the 1999 NCAA title game in OT to Maine by a score of 3-2.  In 2003, their star player was injured in the semi-finals and unable to play against Minnesota in the championship game.  The result there was inevitable, unfortunately, for the Wildcats.

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

So using that as the criteria, Bowling Green and Northern Michigan have noteworthy programs while UNH does not.  Colorado College’s last NCAA title came in 1957, but they make the cut, eh?  

UNH lost the 1999 NCAA title game in OT to Maine by a score of 3-2.  In 2003, their star player was injured in the semi-finals and unable to play against Minnesota in the championship game.  The result there was inevitable, unfortunately, for the Wildcats.

Sioux loss to UNH in 09 was top 5 hardest to accept ever. Took time for that wound to heal. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Siouxperkick said:

Does anyone else feel that Cornell is massively overrated? Their most impressive win is a 3-1 final over Harvard, with a loss to Dartmouth the next night.

Hard to know,  but outside of the Dartmouth game, they are winning the games on their schedule.  We have played Denver and Minnesota State and are 1-1-2 against them, so who is to say until they actually play somebody.  We have heard the same thing about eastern teams before, and then they beat us at tournament time, like Yale did a couple times.  

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

Hard to know,  but outside of the Dartmouth game, they are winning the games on their schedule.  We have played Denver and Minnesota State and are 1-1-2 against them, so who is to say until they actually play somebody.  We have heard the same thing about eastern teams before, and then they beat us at tournament time, like Yale did a couple times.  

I'd almost forgotten about that 2010 tournament loss...that Yale team in 2013...wow.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

That's very true. I just don't trust the powderpuff scheduling by some of these other teams. I'm sure it's not exactly their fault that other teams in their conferences aren't very good, but we will find out soon enough!

3 hours ago, Siouxperkick said:

Does anyone else feel that Cornell is massively overrated? Their most impressive win is a 3-1 final over Harvard, with a loss to Dartmouth the next night.

They also took a big hit on the PWR after that loss, even though they are 3rd the gap is about 200 in RPI.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Plus -- "Ralph Cox, UNH" -- Ralph Cox at the US Hockey Olympic Team tryout, 1979.

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

would be fun to see hak at unh and see if together they can finally bring home the hardware.

Mike Souza is only in his second year there and he's pretty much a legend in Durham.  My money would be on the Maine job opening up before June of 2021.  Red Gendron is on on a bit of a hot seat and the team's 8-7-3 record so far this season isn't exactly overwhelming anyone.  Their opening night 7-9 loss at Providence College opened up the "Fire Red" hotline early this season.

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Mike Souza is only in his second year there and he's pretty much a legend in Durham.  My money would be on the Maine job opening up before June of 2021.  Red Gendron is on on a bit of a hot seat and the team's 8-7-3 record so far this season isn't exactly overwhelming anyone.  Their opening night 7-9 loss at Providence College opened up the "Fire Red" hotline early this season.

Monty has been rumored to be done in Dallas, unless they finally turned it around in Dallas.

Just have to throw my support to UNH.  They were one of the big 4 in Hockey East for the better part of two decades surrounding the year 2000, along with Maine, BC and BU. Highly skilled teams that would have fit well in the current era. 

23 minutes ago, jk said:

Just have to throw my support to UNH.  They were one of the big 4 in Hockey East for the better part of two decades surrounding the year 2000, along with Maine, BC and BU. Highly skilled teams that would have fit well in the current era. 

Great old-school hockey jerseys, too, until they mucked it all up with that slanted font and number style.

Eric-Flinton.jpg?id=38fcf614-55d1-40eb-b

4 hours ago, Siouxperkick said:

If you were talking just the polls (subjective), that's personal choice, but there they're 3. 

The analytics (RPI, PWR) say they're 3. 
Jim Dahl's: https://collegehockeyranked.com/rankings/pwr/
Jim Dahl's: https://collegehockeyranked.com/rankings/rpi/ 
CHN's PWR: https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/pairwise/ 

Even my preferred item to watch (KRACH) says Cornell is 3. 
Jim Dahl's: https://collegehockeyranked.com/rankings/krach/
CHN's KRACH: https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/krach/

Not that it has to do with Cornell, but what sucks for MSU-Mankato is we have the toughest SOS to this point this year and have a 14-1-1 record. As the year goes on, our SOS will end up plummeting to the mid-20s as it always does. The conference penalizes us year after year (in the sense that we have little to no margin of error). If anyone wonders why fans of MSU and, to some extent, fans of other WCHA teams not in Alaska and Alabama dislike the current state of the conference, this is a prime example. While it is "easy" to pile up wins, a bad weekend can kill a team.

• Upvote 2

While I get your point, I think Mankato will be fine in the pairwise.  The bigger reason to dislike that conference schedule is that it probably breeds bad habits always playing teams worse than you are.  By the end of the season, NCHC teams have been through a meat grinder, and almost anyone they play later won't be as good as a bunch of their recent opponents.  It would be nice if Mankato could join and benefit from that. 

• Upvote 1