SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2019-20

cberkas

19 hours ago, bale31 said:

Not that it has to do with Cornell, but what sucks for MSU-Mankato is we have the toughest SOS to this point this year and have a 14-1-1 record. As the year goes on, our SOS will end up plummeting to the mid-20s as it always does. The conference penalizes us year after year (in the sense that we have little to no margin of error). If anyone wonders why fans of MSU and, to some extent, fans of other WCHA teams not in Alaska and Alabama dislike the current state of the conference, this is a prime example. While it is "easy" to pile up wins, a bad weekend can kill a team.

As a conference it's difficult to overcome the weak schedule when you have that many teams bringing down the strength of schedule. Atlantic Hockey runs into the same problem. Thing is though, I'm not sure kicking out three teams will fix it. Other WCHA teams have struggled out of conference as well. Most notably Ferris State. Time will tell and I'd like the see the WCHA survive and thrive. This year has been better than the last few.

3 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

As a conference it's difficult to overcome the weak schedule when you have that many teams bringing down the strength of schedule. Atlantic Hockey runs into the same problem. Thing is though, I'm not sure kicking out three teams will fix it. Other WCHA teams have struggled out of conference as well. Most notably Ferris State. Time will tell and I'd like the see the WCHA survive and thrive. This year has been better than the last few.

You might be surprised just how bad those 3 teams have been in non-conference (which is what really drives the pairwise for all the conferences except the NCHC). So far this year, the WCHA is 20-27-6 in non-conference. Those 3 teams are 2-11-1...take them away and the conference is 18-16-5. Last year, the conference was 22-44-6.. Those 3 teams were 1-18-1...leaving the rest of the conference with a 21-26-5 record. 

I'm not saying I'm wanting them out of the conference necessarily. I'm just saying that, as much as piling up wins is fun, the conference makes it essential to not have an off game.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, keikla said:

Exactly.  I've seen a couple different reports that his firing wasn't related to the abuse/racial movement, but there are still a lot of remaining options.

Montgomery's too old to have posted something on Twitter when he was 16 years old that would cause an uproar now...

• Upvote 1

It's funny how a lot of the networks are so self righteous about certain things, but then soon forget them when they have a chance to profit.  Remember the Urban Meyer scandal, and now one of the networks has him as a commentator.  Michael Irvin and Ray Lewis weren't exactly choir boys either.  It all depends on whose standard they want to go by.  I'm sure there are a lot of things that go on in locker rooms by players and coaches alike that wouldn't meet the new standards for ethical behavior.  I have a feeling you will see more and more players getting called out if there are axes to grind from the past. 

Well, truth be told, Jim Montgomery came to me a couple of days ago and asked me to make a list of the hardest working to the least hardest working player on the Trainwreck roster.  I handed in my list to Monty and evidently @Godsmack was personally told yesterday that he ranked #23 out of 23 - with an asterisk by his name and the note, “I would rank him 25 out of 23 if I could!  He’s so lazy, he asks the guy next to him in the locker room to crack open his post-game beer.”  Coincidentally, Monty is fired hours later.  Or maybe NOT coincidentally?  You be the judge.

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Well, truth be told, Jim Montgomery came to me a couple of days ago and asked me to make a list of the hardest working to the least hardest working player on the Trainwreck roster.  I handed in my list to Monty and evidently @Godsmack was personally told yesterday that he ranked #23 out of 23 - with an asterisk by his name and the note, “I would rank him 25 out of 23 if I could!  He’s so lazy, he asks the guy next to him in the locker room to crack open his post-game beer.”  Coincidentally, Monty is fired hours later.  Or maybe NOT coincidentally?  You be the judge.

@MafiaMan‘s right-Initially, Coach Montgomery didn’t even trust me enough to be the stickboy. Eventually though, he saw promise in me so he bought me some new skates (translation: used skates from Goodwill) to help with my weak ankles and these beauts have done a number for me out on the ice! I now skate circles around the opposition, they’re so amazed with the beauty of these kicks! I have now graduated up to the 5th line! 

52FA1B84-4159-4ECB-8FD8-E21BF159CA31.jpeg