SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

41 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Before the program gets cut this sprung due to underachieving let's keep in mind a couple of things.  This team came to play every night, unlike a lot of teams in the past.  They weren't the most talented but their effort should never be questioned.  This team had no high end scoring.  That left when Jost left two years early and Gersich was run out of town last season. Every single coach has had high scoring recruits that do not produce at this level. Anyone remember Wed Dorey?  The high end talent on this team is in the defensemen not forwards.  Do we have any high forwards on the horizon?

B010D28C-B41D-4748-ABEE-E5AD443B8AB7.gif.c4c79b0d29157c8388a3967036a63bc3.gif

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, yzerman19 said:

Quality of life for a hockey player is WAY better at UND than the Coast for sure and even the AHL.  Unless your family is desperate for cash and you get a max signing bonus, there is no reason to leave for any league other than the National.  

Never underestimate the power of not going to class.

13 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

2019-2020 wish list:  put away the black jerseys for a while.  Let’s not embarrass our tradition anymore by breaking them out for “must-win” games 20 times a year.

Yea whoever said funeral suits was right. Business hasn’t exactly been boomin.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, siouxweet said:

Before the program gets cut this sprung due to underachieving let's keep in mind a couple of things.  This team came to play every night, unlike a lot of teams in the past.  They weren't the most talented but their effort should never be questioned.  This team had no high end scoring.  That left when Jost left two years early and Gersich was run out of town last season. Every single coach has had high scoring recruits that do not produce at this level. Anyone remember Wed Dorey?  The high end talent on this team is in the defensemen not forwards.  Do we have any high forwards on the horizon?

Wut?  Explain this please.

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

Quality of life for a hockey player is WAY better at UND than the Coast for sure and even the AHL.  Unless your family is desperate for cash and you get a max signing bonus, there is no reason to leave for any league other than the National.  

maybe if your development is not progressing, even regressing is a possible scenario where I would disagree, but I would think it would be rare, and highly subjectable..

The inability for this team to score is exasperating.  For the power play to be as bad as it is, is unacceptable.  I think the ineffectiveness of the power play affects the mindset of the rest of their offensive game.  Shaw's system may have worked in the pros but it is clearly not working at the college level.  Our talent isn't that bad to be near the bottom at the college level.  

7 minutes ago, fsioux said:

The inability for this team to score is exasperating.  For the power play to be as bad as it is, is unacceptable.  I think the ineffectiveness of the power play affects the mindset of the rest of their offensive game.  Shaw's system may have worked in the pros but it is clearly not working at the college level.  Our talent isn't that bad to be near the bottom at the college level.  

I contend our talent was that bad.  At least compared to what we're used to.

21 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

maybe if your development is not progressing, even regressing is a possible scenario where I would disagree, but I would think it would be rare, and highly subjectable..

If you are a first rounder I'd agree.  If you're not, then you're just avoiding life...

Didn't Gretzky say you lose 100% of the games where you don't score? Maybe I have that wrong lol.

Point is the very little I've seen this team this year it's been the same every time...look great defensively, win faceoffs,  play the boards well, skate circles around people with the puck...but no hammer shots in close which means no sloppy rebound goals either. Apparently listening to all of you this has been almost every game. I have a hard time believing that some of these guys weren't decent scorers coming in or they wouldn't have been recruited in the first place, so there must be an issue with strategy. Whether it's playing not to lose, which never works, or just being too cute with the puck instead of pushing harder, which I've felt the little I've seen them, something needs to improve.  

But what do I know. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jodcon said:

Didn't Gretzky say you lose 100% of the games where you don't score? Maybe I have that wrong lol.

Point is the very little I've seen this team this year it's been the same every time...look great defensively, win faceoffs,  play the boards well, skate circles around people with the puck...but no hammer shots in close which means no sloppy rebound goals either. Apparently listening to all of you this has been almost every game. I have a hard time believing that some of these guys weren't decent scorers coming in or they wouldn't have been recruited in the first place, so there must be an issue with strategy. Whether it's playing not to lose, which never works, or just being too cute with the puck instead of pushing harder, which I've felt the little I've seen them, something needs to improve.  

But what do I know. 

My sentiments exactly

16 hours ago, NoDak Fan said:

Brady Berry's to do list in the next couple weeks.

1. Put on a brave face on and go to the NCHC Frozen Faceoff this next weekend and watch 4 other teams.

2. Conduct end-of-season interviews with players and make hard decisions on what the 2019-20 roster will look like. Will some current guys need to find other places to play.

3. Conduct end-of season evaluations with his coaching staff. What went right? What went wrong? What improvements and changes are needed? Not just with the power play. The coaches recruit the players, but they also coach them. Some players are more ready to adjust to the college game than others.  And if some are not developing or playing to their potential within the systems, then that falls back on coaching. What can they do to get the most out of those players. They need to "own up" to some of the shortcomings of the on-ice product.

4. Meet with the AD and convince him that the ship will get righted next year. In addition to the tradition and national following from alumni this program gets, hockey is an economic driver for the athletic budget. Not to mention the community.

Anything else?

Wear out Highway 2 going to watch Donte Lawson end the NAHL season in Cloquet. 

He has that one intangible you can’t coach... heart. 

15 minutes ago, jodcon said:

But what do I know. 

He said you miss 100% of the shots you don't take...same thing applies

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jodcon said:

But what do I know. 

Not sure this is accurate because you added "with the puck"...  I saw seen (MM will edit) lots of hustle but not really any outstanding danglers.....  and definitely no deadly snipers...  so I believe scoring by committee is next on the standard game plan.   The talent level by resume should have been enough to get that plan executed...  so what happened.  Perhaps the players were not trusting, saw lots of all forwards in the corner battle with nobody ready for the outlet.  Or perhaps they started to "do it all myself" play....  Either way the coaching staff is responsible...  watching Thru the doors and hearing coach Jackson tell Rhett he is playing the right way and playing fast out there had me scratching my head.   Speaking of the Thru series, is it just me or is there an abundance of yellow pinnies in every episode?  I mean more than prior years, definitely more than reported?  Is there a training - conditioning issue?   Seems like a pattern of dominate Friday, poop the bed saturday could be seen..   When is october, time to chip ice and shove chunks.  

5 hours ago, jk said:

Really the only dumpster fire around the program is on the SS message board.

Tim Hennessy last night thought this was one of the better coaching jobs he's seen, because they came to play every night.

Keep the puck possession dominance and add more finish, and this turns around very fast.

Next year starts with solid goaltending and very good defense, regardless of what Poolman decides.

Up front, the freshmen do not need to star.  Each class needs to surpass the class it is replacing.  Points this year, forwards only: Seniors 38, Juniors 38, Sophomores 43, Freshmen 34.  This year's juniors may have trouble beating 38 points their senior year.  This year's sophomores will crush their comparison next year, as will the incoming freshmen.  This year's freshmen, without a real scorer, may have trouble matching the Guch-led 43 points.  It should be easy if guys take steps, but we will see.  

They're not finishing sixth next year.  They'll be top three in the NCHC and at least an at large team.

Hennessy clearly forgot that part of a coaches duties is recruiting.