Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Frozen4sioux

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, ChadR said:

3 underclassmen from this years team will get cut this summer.

Needs to happen, but will it happen?  

I don't see Mr. Culture making those cuts. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Berry uses "culture" as a code word for two words he can't say aloud in public. (You know the words; dial up a Berry presser and play the word replacement game for yourself.) 

But, "culture" has a long history of releasing low minute, underperforming sophomores (and a few juniors too) for the good of "culture". Hak did it. Blais did it. Gino did it. 

Berry has enough 1999 DOBs in the pipeline ready to step in in the event of a "early departure". 

Will Berry quit with the word games, own his team and its name, and make some tough calls for the good of (ahem) the Fighting Hawks of the University of North Dakota.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

What are Jeff Panzer and Brandon Bochenski up to now?

Ones at NW tire and the other went back to pro hockey.

Edit: Bo appears to be a future real estate developer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other skaters that could be cut aren't scholarship and can continue to practice/play roles.

Berry gets an "underperforming" review to be put on notice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Hoff...cut

Bowen...cut

Johnson...cut

coach Shaw...fired

thats about right 

I’d start that list with Yon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Hoff...cut

Bowen...cut

Johnson...cut

coach Shaw...fired

thats about right 

You are not going to get production by everyone you bring in next year, even if you cut all those players and replace them.  We may not have won the National Championship in 2016 if we cut non producers like Coltyn Sanderson and Colton St. Clair.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tnt said:

You are not going to get production by everyone you bring in next year, even if you cut all those players and replace them.  We may not have won the National Championship in 2016 if we cut non producers like Coltyn Sanderson and Colton St. Clair.

By that standard, some of our best players this year were non-producers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I’d start that list with Yon. 

I meant to put Yon on there too- got distracted.  Will edit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yzerman19 said:

By that standard, some of our best players this year were non-producers.  

Yes, by all means let’s start over next year with 10 new forwards, that’s a recipe for success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Yon...cut

Hoff...cut

Bowen...cut

Johnson...cut

coach Shaw...fired

thats about right 

Burn down the Ralph, loot the bookstore, blow the bridges into Minnesota... Jesus folks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Yon...cut

Hoff...cut

Bowen...cut

Johnson...cut

coach Shaw...fired

thats about right 

I just don't see Berry willing to make the hard decisions this year that he should have made last year.  At some point he needs to put the good of the program first.  Heavy is the head that wears the crown and he willingly took it to the tune of over $400,000.  If he doesn't act he may be driving us right into the ditch.  We really need to cut the dead weight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Burn down the Ralph, loot the bookstore, blow the bridges into Minnesota... Jesus folks...

Or we could just be happy with our 13% power play and scoring 2 goals or less 19 times and getting swept by a team that plays above a parking garage.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Burn down the Ralph, loot the bookstore, blow the bridges into Minnesota... Jesus folks...

I've been watching Sioux hockey since I was 3.  I ran with my dad from university Ave to the old Ralph to see phil Sykes and Doug smail .  I also have played the game and am currently a USA hockey coach.

criticism is deserved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Irish said:

I just don't see Berry willing to make the hard decisions this year that he should have made last year.  At some point he needs to put the good of the program first.  Heavy is the head that wears the crown and he willingly took it to the tune of over $400,000.  If he doesn't act he may be driving us right into the ditch.  We really need to cut the dead weight. 

If there are players that they could get that will be ready to contribute right away, then by all means tweak the roster or scholarships.  I just don’t see wholesale changes helping a team that needs scorers.  There usually aren’t a ton of guys this late in the game that are going to give you immediate impact, and our problem very well be that they might give you more offense but give up as many the other way.  If they can find a grad transfer or someone that has great potential, by all means tweak the roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yes, by all means let’s start over next year with 10 new forwards, that’s a recipe for success.

It can't get worse!!!  We were atrocious offensively.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tnt said:

If there are players that they could get that will be ready to contribute right away, then by all means tweak the roster or scholarships.  I just don’t see wholesale changes helping a team that needs scorers.  There usually aren’t a ton of guys this late in the game that are going to give you immediate impact, and our problem very well be that they might give you more offense but give up as many the other way.  If they can find a grad transfer or someone that has great potential, by all means tweak the roster.

A lot of guys lost minutes to some freshmen named Toews, Duncan and Oshie

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yzerman19 said:

It can't get worse!!!  We were atrocious offensively.  

...and we know all transition well to college hockey both offensively and defensively!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Irish said:

I just don't see Berry willing to make the hard decisions this year that he should have made last year.  

He should’ve followed the precedent of making decisions after sophomore years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Irish said:

I just don't see Berry willing to make the hard decisions this year that he should have made last year.  At some point he needs to put the good of the program first.  Heavy is the head that wears the crown and he willingly took it to the tune of over $400,000.  If he doesn't act he may be driving us right into the ditch.  We really need to cut the dead weight. 

In the big picture $400k is nothing.  I live in a world where that salary gets you fired for underperformance fast.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

A lot of guys lost minutes to some freshmen named Toews, Duncan and Oshie

Wow, just wow!  Point out guys like that who are available for next year.

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yzerman19 said:

In the big picture $400k is nothing.  I live in a world where that salary gets you fired for underperformance fast.  

What USA team do you coach so we can scutinize the lineup?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...