SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

Berry uses "culture" as a code word for two words he can't say aloud in public. (You know the words; dial up a Berry presser and play the word replacement game for yourself.) 

But, "culture" has a long history of releasing low minute, underperforming sophomores (and a few juniors too) for the good of "culture". Hak did it. Blais did it. Gino did it. 

Berry has enough 1999 DOBs in the pipeline ready to step in in the event of a "early departure". 

Will Berry quit with the word games, own his team and its name, and make some tough calls for the good of (ahem) the Fighting Hawks of the University of North Dakota.  

26 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Hoff...cut

Bowen...cut

Johnson...cut

coach Shaw...fired

thats about right 

You are not going to get production by everyone you bring in next year, even if you cut all those players and replace them.  We may not have won the National Championship in 2016 if we cut non producers like Coltyn Sanderson and Colton St. Clair.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

You are not going to get production by everyone you bring in next year, even if you cut all those players and replace them.  We may not have won the National Championship in 2016 if we cut non producers like Coltyn Sanderson and Colton St. Clair.

By that standard, some of our best players this year were non-producers.  

44 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Yon...cut

Hoff...cut

Bowen...cut

Johnson...cut

coach Shaw...fired

thats about right 

I just don't see Berry willing to make the hard decisions this year that he should have made last year.  At some point he needs to put the good of the program first.  Heavy is the head that wears the crown and he willingly took it to the tune of over $400,000.  If he doesn't act he may be driving us right into the ditch.  We really need to cut the dead weight. 

1 minute ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Burn down the Ralph, loot the bookstore, blow the bridges into Minnesota... Jesus folks...

Or we could just be happy with our 13% power play and scoring 2 goals or less 19 times and getting swept by a team that plays above a parking garage.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Burn down the Ralph, loot the bookstore, blow the bridges into Minnesota... Jesus folks...

I've been watching Sioux hockey since I was 3.  I ran with my dad from university Ave to the old Ralph to see phil Sykes and Doug smail .  I also have played the game and am currently a USA hockey coach.

criticism is deserved.

4 minutes ago, Irish said:

I just don't see Berry willing to make the hard decisions this year that he should have made last year.  At some point he needs to put the good of the program first.  Heavy is the head that wears the crown and he willingly took it to the tune of over $400,000.  If he doesn't act he may be driving us right into the ditch.  We really need to cut the dead weight. 

If there are players that they could get that will be ready to contribute right away, then by all means tweak the roster or scholarships.  I just don’t see wholesale changes helping a team that needs scorers.  There usually aren’t a ton of guys this late in the game that are going to give you immediate impact, and our problem very well be that they might give you more offense but give up as many the other way.  If they can find a grad transfer or someone that has great potential, by all means tweak the roster.

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

If there are players that they could get that will be ready to contribute right away, then by all means tweak the roster or scholarships.  I just don’t see wholesale changes helping a team that needs scorers.  There usually aren’t a ton of guys this late in the game that are going to give you immediate impact, and our problem very well be that they might give you more offense but give up as many the other way.  If they can find a grad transfer or someone that has great potential, by all means tweak the roster.

A lot of guys lost minutes to some freshmen named Toews, Duncan and Oshie

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Irish said:

In the big picture $400k is nothing.  I live in a world where that salary gets you fired for underperformance fast.  

• Upvote 1