SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

I am optimistic for next year, not as optimistic as usual but hope for the best.  I think you will always lose more players than average after winning a natty, players are a bit more inclined to move on to the next goal in their own timeline, right or wrong.  Much has been said over years of people leaving early (Gregoire, Hextall, etc) that in hindsight looked to be a poor choice, but the choice is theirs to make, I won't hold it against them but I am overly forgiving of people living their own lives for themselves.  It sucked to have JT Miller do what he did, same with Wilkie, and I forget the mid year transfer, but I like to think I am mature enough to not disparage people for their choices, the whole glass houses and all.

13 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

It sucked to have JT Miller do what he did, same with Wilkie, and I forget the mid year transfer, but I like to think I am mature enough to not disparage people for their choices, the whole glass houses and all.

Tambellini

The returning roster is real good including Poolman, with the incoming freshman class looking promising maybe we can find a way to score more goals and this will turn around.

Berry and Jackson should return and they will.  It has been a couple of really tough years but this program will not go away quietly!!!!!  #GoSiouxGo

On 3/17/2019 at 7:10 AM, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I believe Adams will find his game if you put him with players who have speed and play the game that way. Putting him on the grind line with 22 just didn’t play into his strengths.

Completely agree. I was hoping to see a lot more of him and Guch together this season. Adams never got to play his role he's made to play. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fsioux said:

Smaby was a defenseman so not sure of his offensive prowess as far as coaching.

Yep.  We need a coach with a proven record of hitting the twine.  D-corps will be ok with Smaby or other coach staying.  We need an offensive minded coach who can give the PP a thirst for goals and the skills to get them.  Our offensive output needs to double.

3 minutes ago, 808287 said:

Yep.  We need a coach with a proven record of hitting the twine.  D-corps will be ok with Smaby or other coach staying.  We need an offensive minded coach who can give the PP a thirst for goals and the skills to get them.  Our offensive output needs to double.

What are Jeff Panzer and Brandon Bochenski up to now?

3 hours ago, ChadR said:

3 underclassmen from this years team will get cut this summer.

Really? The underclassman list is:

Sophomores: Bast / Kierstad / Adams / Mismash / Kawaguchi / Rieger - There's no way in any world the four I have in bold would get cut, Adams transferring would leave a really bad taste in my mouth. Rieger would make sense given his current situation in the lineup and possibility of needing to find room for both Frisch and Bast. 

Freshman: JBD / Tychonick / Senden / Hain / Keane / Weatherby: Honestly, given the roles they had to have been brought in for, the only person who under performed was Weatherby, but cutting someone after just one year would be ridiculous.

I don't see anyway the number is 3, I see Rieger as the only real possibility and Adams transferring as the other possibility.  

20 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Over in the “Name-‘em” thread I’m predicting at least FIVE incoming freshman forwards. Yes. Five.

I know there are only three senior slots that opened, but I also see a lot of passengers on that roster. 

And I’m pondering predicting one or or two more incoming freshman forwards beyond my already named five. 

Why? I’m going to say it: this junior class of forwards (the 2019-20 “seniors”) was a bust. How dare I say that? Easy. 

Tyson Jost 33 GP, 16-19-35
Hoff 92 GP, 36 points
Smith 90 GP, 33 points
Bowen 98 GP, 21 points
Johnson 90 GP, 12 points
Yon 89 GP, 12 points

Goal scoring wise it’s Jost 16, Smith 13, Bowen 11, Hoff 10. 

Tyson Jost is nearly the highest scorer (second by just a point) of that group of incoming freshman forwards, and is the leading goal scorer (!), and he hasn’t been in a UND uniform in two seasons! 

Soak on that: Jost has played 1/3 the games of the rest and still leads in goals. And who’d have believed Smith (brought in as a role guy) would be second in goals in that class. 

I have a problem with the term bust and this class, because what were people really expecting? This has been my problem with this class since Day 1, it didn't make any sense at the time and clearly it still doesn't make sense. I'm going to take Johnson out of the equation since he wasn't brought in as a forward. You had Jost (Blue Chip) and Hoff (Good recruit) coming in that should have been expected to contribute. Jost was a maximum two year guy, only was here for one, but met expectations. Hoff hasn't lived up to expectations and I'd consider so far a bust. Then we get to Bowen / Yon / Smith. I don't know what Bowen / Yon showed in Juniors that would have made anyone believe they were anything more than what they've become. Smith was the "lesser league" guy playing in the MJHL and has probably exceeded expectations. My ultimate point is you had 60% of the class that shouldn't have had expectations to begin with, that's not fine. You should never have over half of your class as role type players. Johnson switching to Forward has further put this class in a mess, because again, what would you expect? 

Side note: To bring in my post before about not seeing 3 underclassman cut (which won't happen), but would also be very frustrating to see a guy like Adams (possibly) transfer is I believe Berry has played favorites with this Junior class. This Junior class wasn't a "bust class", the writing has been on the wall, but given where some of the players were from basically has given them immunity to stay on the roster, even though last year a serious look should have been given to look for other options. Not taking that hard look helped put himself and this team in the position of (1) Not making the tournament again (2) Having forwards who will now be Seniors that are all role players. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

If Smith was the only returner from this class I wouldn't bat an eye,  next being Bowen...

Obviously meaning Forwards, but just wanted to clarify.

My overall complaint isn't one of the 6 soon to be Forwards individually. I really like what Smith brings, I also like Bowen as a 4th line type guy. You could even make an argument for any other player individually, like Hoff has a chance to step up as we've seen flashes. Johnson you could stick on the 4th line in certain situations or be a guy who only plays because of injuries, same with Yon. The problem is under any circumstance you can't have all 6 as for the most part 5 of the 6 would have the same type role that in all reality you would only want 4 total on your roster having. 

The Freshman class this year (Senden / Hain / Keane) also play those type of roles and already do them better. 

52 minutes ago, AJS said:

I have a problem with the term bust and this class, because what were people really expecting?

I was expecting Hoff and Bowen and Yon each after three seasons to be exceeding Jost's one season output.

Is asking for 40 points in 90 games excessive? 

Heck, how about just having more career goals after three seasons (90 games) than Jost did in 33 games (16 goals). 

Frankly, I wonder how many of the juniors would've gotten a junior year under Hak. (Hak and Blais both seemed release low minutes, unproductive players after sophomore campaigns.) 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I have a problem with the term bust and this class, because what were people really expecting? This has been my problem with this class since Day 1, it didn't make any sense at the time and clearly it still doesn't make sense. I'm going to take Johnson out of the equation since he wasn't brought in as a forward. You had Jost (Blue Chip) and Hoff (Good recruit) coming in that should have been expected to contribute. Jost was a maximum two year guy, only was here for one, but met expectations. Hoff hasn't lived up to expectations and I'd consider so far a bust. Then we get to Bowen / Yon / Smith. I don't know what Bowen / Yon showed in Juniors that would have made anyone believe they were anything more than what they've become. Smith was the "lesser league" guy playing in the MJHL and has probably exceeded expectations. My ultimate point is you had 60% of the class that shouldn't have had expectations to begin with, that's not fine. You should never have over half of your class as role type players. Johnson switching to Forward has further put this class in a mess, because again, what would you expect? 

Side note: To bring in my post before about not seeing 3 underclassman cut (which won't happen), but would also be very frustrating to see a guy like Adams (possibly) transfer is I believe Berry has played favorites with this Junior class. This Junior class wasn't a "bust class", the writing has been on the wall, but given where some of the players were from basically has given them immunity to stay on the roster, even though last year a serious look should have been given to look for other options. Not taking that hard look helped put himself and this team in the position of (1) Not making the tournament again (2) Having forwards who will now be Seniors that are all role players. 

I think most people mean they are a bust compared to other classes and compared to other team’s Jr class, not a bust because people had high expectations. 

Outside of Jost and hoff their expectations were low, and their performance has been very low. Which in turn equals a busted class. 

I think their class has been the bulk problem with the team the last 2 seasons. Missing on recruiting of one class plays a pretty heavy toll on things. 

I can definitely get on board with that definition @Ogie Ogelthorp and the expectations that @The Sicatoka laid out to categorize them as "busts". I'll just never understand what went into the construction of the class once everything played out, meaning around Christmas the year prior. It was clear what this class was at that point. At that time it was nothing but making the tournament and Frozen Four performances, so there was obviously a lot of confidence (especially with Hak) that he could turn them into something. The huge misstep was last summer and I'll never understand how no changes were made.