SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

Just now, SIOUXELEVENS said:

how long should people wait? they have scored less the last three years running, that may be a trend. Maybe is we score under fifty goals in a season you may admit it could be a problem.

People don't care about shots or possession they car about goals scored.

We've built up a long reputation of developing players. It's certainly more than two years. 

8 minutes ago, Undertaker said:

I’ve been a member of this forum for a very long time. I’ve been very content to read and not post. But...I’ve had enough. Give the Ralph back...to the students. Make it a hockey venue, not a social place to be scene. I get the opportunity to go to one series per year and I’ve seen the decline in enthusiasm over the past ten years big time! I remember the old Ralph, before UND Hockey was a social place, for the wealthy trophy wife/husband to show off their most recent game warn sweater.... lets get back to grass tacks, Let the students go!!!! 

The trophy wife line is so true it hurts.  I've thought the exact same thing walking the concourse between periods.

A few years ago a lady in a Toews Jersey scowled at the fact the band was marching in the hallways between periods.....

Those dumb college kids and their instruments....:glare:

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Not saying much lol ;)

haha yeah.  But 19 points in 20 games at the D1 college hockey level is good....especially considering he sat out last year.  I'm simply pointing out the fact that you said "he may not be that good."  It's all good.  I was disappointed he left after his soph year.  I knew the skill was in there he was simply a very inconsistent underclassmen.  I don't want Bubs to get in this mold of forcing unproductive underclassman out unless they clearly are not college material.  I can see a guy like Adams taking a jump next year and a bigger jump as a senior.

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

haha yeah.  But 19 points in 20 games at the D1 college hockey level is good....especially considering he sat out last year.  I'm simply pointing out the fact that you said "he may not be that good."  It's all good.  I was disappointed he left after his soph year.  I knew the skill was in there he was simply a very inconsistent underclassmen.  I don't want Bubs to get in this mold of forcing unproductive underclassman out unless they clearly are not college material.  I can see a guy like Adams taking a jump next year and a bigger jump as a senior.

I know, I know, it was a silly cheap shot. I'll be honest... he's done well for himself, it seems. 

Sounds like there was more to it than Bubbs, but it is what it is. I hope the same for Adams and I don't think he's going anywhere. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

The trophy wife line is so true it hurts.  I've thought the exact same thing walking the concourse between periods.

A few years ago a lady in a Toews Jersey scowled at the fact the band was marching in the hallways between periods.....

Those dumb college kids and their instruments....:glare:

Steven Wright: A friend of mine has a trophy wife, but apparently, it wasn't first place.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

So looks like Shaw is sticking around (shocker), but if he did get the boot that we don't think is coming is Rico Blasi a guy that could be an assistant?  

I'll hang up and listen.  

They would have promoted Samby, which I'd rather see them hire a guy that has some sort of coaching experience in the College and/or NHL.

1 hour ago, Undertaker said:

I’ve been a member of this forum for a very long time. I’ve been very content to read and not post. But...I’ve had enough. Give the Ralph back...to the students. Make it a hockey venue, not a social place to be scene. I get the opportunity to go to one series per year and I’ve seen the decline in enthusiasm over the past ten years big time! I remember the old Ralph, before UND Hockey was a social place, for the wealthy trophy wife/husband to show off their most recent game warn sweater.... lets get back to grass tacks, Let the students go!!!! 

I totally agree that the game atmosphere is going down and we could use a boost.  Part of the problems are baked in now, but part could be solved by some changes.  The corporate atmosphere was sealed when they decided to make lower bowl tickets contingent on a serious Sioux Club membership level.  Part of the student problem was when they didn't put the students on the end and built without figuring out that standing would block the view of others.  (I can see both sides of the standing issue - We really need the students engaged and cheering - however,  I have been in a suite several times when the students stood in front of us for no particular reason - not play related - just standing, chatting, and texting.  Extremely frustrating.)  Things that could change - the eternal vigilance on the student section - just looking for anyone having too much fun.  If there is a problem fine - deal with it.  But putting them under the microscope really dampens their mood.  Find more ways to involve the students with organized cheers, more band - have a student group search for ways - this is not the same type of student that went to the Old Ralph - more texting than cheering.  Finally, have someone who knows and enjoys hockey run the Ralph game day and PA system.  The crap that comes over the system every time play stops is a real mood and cheer killer.  Many times the crowd is really into it only to be interrupted by some ad over the loudspeaker.  Same with the music.  We need the crowd cheering at the breaks.  Take some of the profit and subsidize whatever payout they get from all of the ads.  This is corporate greed and a mood killer. (also put out a team that is exciting.  Watching them try gain the zone on a power play or chip it off the glass then all rush to the corner is ultra boring.  Few break-aways or odd man rushes.  Also, giving up a goal within about a minute of us scoring really dampers the mood too).  We can have the best atmosphere in college hockey with some planning and tweaks and a scoring upgrade.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, cberkas said:

They would have promoted Samby, which I'd rather see them hire a guy that has some sort of coaching experience in the College and/or NHL.

Matt Shaw coached 5 yrs. NHL.

2008-09 Minnesota Wild NHL Assistant              
2009-10 San Jose Sharks NHL Assistant              
2010-11 San Jose Sharks NHL Assistant              
2011-12 San Jose Sharks NHL Assistant              
2012-13 New Jersey Devils NHL Assistant              

18 minutes ago, Irish said:

I totally agree that the game atmosphere is going down and we could use a boost.  Part of the problems are baked in now, but part could be solved by some changes.  The corporate atmosphere was sealed when they decided to make lower bowl tickets contingent on a serious Sioux Club membership level.  Part of the student problem was when they didn't put the students on the end and built without figuring out that standing would block the view of others.  (I can see both sides of the standing issue - We really need the students engaged and cheering - however,  I have been in a suite several times when the students stood in front of us for no particular reason - not play related - just standing, chatting, and texting.  Extremely frustrating.)  Things that could change - the eternal vigilance on the student section - just looking for anyone having too much fun.  If there is a problem fine - deal with it.  But putting them under the microscope really dampens their mood.  Find more ways to involve the students with organized cheers, more band - have a student group search for ways - this is not the same type of student that went to the Old Ralph - more texting than cheering.  Finally, have someone who knows and enjoys hockey run the Ralph game day and PA system.  The crap that comes over the system every time play stops is a real mood and cheer killer.  Many times the crowd is really into it only to be interrupted by some ad over the loudspeaker.  Same with the music.  We need the crowd cheering at the breaks.  Take some of the profit and subsidize whatever payout they get from all of the ads.  This is corporate greed and a mood killer. (also put out a team that is exciting.  Watching them try gain the zone on a power play or chip it off the glass then all rush to the corner is ultra boring.  Few break-aways or odd man rushes.  Also, giving up a goal within about a minute of us scoring really dampers the mood too).  We can have the best atmosphere in college hockey with some planning and tweaks and a scoring upgrade.

I'm normally in the upper bowl,  but sat lower bowl with a friend with an extra ticket just to the south of the students a couple times.   They stood much of the game,  blocking the north end of the ice. No one told them to sit. Maybe it's the no alcohol rule in the student section that the poster objects to - looked like the section was having fun to me. 

I don't see the "corporate" atmosphere complaint???

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

After two years? Jeebus, I can't believe people think this way. Honestly not saying you, burd, but is there any proof that prospects or people that advise prospects are thinking this way?

Yeah, it's not me who draws these conclusions, stoney, but I'd be shocked if it isn't happening.  No proof whatsoever, which is standard for things I post. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, runaroundsioux said:

Matt Shaw coached 5 yrs. NHL.

2008-09 Minnesota Wild NHL Assistant              
2009-10 San Jose Sharks NHL Assistant              
2010-11 San Jose Sharks NHL Assistant              
2011-12 San Jose Sharks NHL Assistant              
2012-13 New Jersey Devils NHL Assistant              

I know that, his power plays just didn't work here compared to the NHL.

2 hours ago, burd said:

Yeah, it's not me who draws these conclusions, stoney, but I'd be shocked if it isn't happening.  No proof whatsoever, which is standard for things I post. 

Sorry, man. Hopefully that didn't come off as me attacking you, I just don't understand it, really.

I personally don't think NHL scouts, recruits, parents of recruits, advisors, etc. would make a these conclusions, at this points. Decades of success, an NHL rink and decades of putting players in to the NHL don't go away from two or three average years. Can a trend be seen? Sure and it has to stop at some point for us to keep our clout, but this short of a time span seems really hasty to be making that conclusion, if they are.

39 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Sorry, man. Hopefully that didn't come off me attacking you, I just don't understand it, really.

I personally don't think NHL scouts, recruits, parents of recruits, advisors, etc. would make a these conclusions, at this points. Decades of success, an NHL rink and decades of putting players in to the NHL don't go away from two or three average years. Can a trend be seen? Sure and it has to stop at some point for us to keep our clout, but this short of a time span seems really hasty to be making that conclusion, if they are.

I hope you're right.  But if recruits see the offensive drop off of the past several years under a particular coaching staff and system, I have to wonder.  Again,  I hope you are right. 

Btw:  I know you weren't attacking me, but I wouldn't mind a bit if you did.  It's the idea you are attacking, and I've had some bad ones.

45 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Maybe when he was in the NHL he had a PP quarterback that could gain the zone?:whistling:

because honestly that’s half the problem here. 

I didn't really see it that way....   slow, poor passes, no danglers making space, players not finding space...   

11 minutes ago, burd said:

I hope you're right.  But if recruits see the offensive drop off of the past several years under a particular coaching staff and system, I have to wonder.  Again,  I hope you are right. 

Btw:  I know you weren't attacking me, but I wouldn't mind a bit if you did.  It's the idea you are attacking, and I've had some bad ones.

Hahaha good to know. I just have a hard time believing that perception would change that quickly. Recruits, advisers and parents aren't typically as invested in the day-to-day work of a program like we are. 

19 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I didn't really see it that way....   slow, poor passes, no danglers making space, players not finding space...   

Actually, my opinion is that both were equally poor.  We had a very difficult time gaining the zone on many power plays - often we dumped it in the corner and it was promptly cleared out.  When we did we held it out front, teed it up constantly and waited for the defense to adjust before passing it around out front (often to lose the puck).  Very little quick puck or player movement. Pressure absolutely killed us.   What totally baffles me is that even with our offensive challenges why couldn't we do anything different - appeared to be adjustments in equally ineffective personnel but no changes in movement or philosophy.  I can't for the life of me understand how it remained so poor so long (and not just this year).  This must be fixed.