SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 minute ago, yzerman19 said:

We dont know yet...but they could be.  Point is we were not good, and if just one of our recruits is like those guys...

Agree - it's not like they are replacing any scorers - they are replacing guys who showed what they can and can't do for 3 years.

Make no changes and you have a senior class that can skate their lane and produce nothing. I base that on three years of data. 

Skate your lane guys are dime a dozen in the USHL and other junior leagues. You have to be that good to get there.  

But take a risk and at worst you’ll have another lane skater, or you might get something that can also produce at the college level. 

• Upvote 2

So we get rid of 4 or 5 more guys, then bring in more dime a dozen guys late in the game with 4 years of eligibility and hope these last minute pick ups will be the answer for us.  Then when they aren’t, rinse and repeat. I have more faith in making some changes within the schemes and special teams and get a few more goals to put us over the top, hoping that a few of the freshmen can step up and the other guys make the next step.  A game here or there changes a lot of people’s opinion of this team, as evidenced by all the if’s thrown out there concerning pairwise.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

So we get rid of 4 or 5 more guys, then bring in more dime a dozen guys late in the game with 4 years of eligibility and hope these last minute pick ups will be the answer for us.  Then when they aren’t, rinse and repeat. I have more faith in making some changes within the schemes and special teams and get a few more goals to put us over the top, hoping that a few of the freshmen can step up and the other guys make the next step.  A game here or there changes a lot of people’s opinion of this team, as evidenced by all the if’s thrown out there concerning pairwise.

What have you seen from Berry so far that makes you think he will make some changes in schemes or special teams - he had all year to fix the power play and it got worse as the season went on and his chip it off the glass and have all 3 forwards end up in the corner offense didn't change a lick.   His unwillingness to change is part of the reason that we are watching and not playing. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Irish said:

What have you seen from Berry so far that makes you think he will make some changes in schemes or special teams - he had all year to fix the power play and it got worse as the season went on.  His unwillingness to change is part of the reason that got us here.

So if it is him that is stifling the offense with his schemes and such, what good does it do to throw more last minute recruits into the situation?  We have always had role players that didn’t score a lot, but the first few lines put up decent numbers.  It seems to me that many of the role players are fulfilling their roles about as good as some of the guys expected to score.  Definitely need more scorers, but not usually a quick fix, especially when you want them now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

I've been watching Sioux hockey since I was 3.  I ran with my dad from university Ave to the old Ralph to see phil Sykes and Doug smail .  I also have played the game and am currently a USA hockey coach.

criticism is deserved.

I get that, but those players aren’t getting cut.  You don’t cut all your upperclassman.  At the very least they turn into role players.

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I get that, but those players aren’t getting cut.  You don’t cut all your upperclassman.  At the very least they turn into role players.

I have always respected you, and I gervwhat you're saying, but I'm not confident this group has it.  I hope I'm wrong, buddy

7 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

I have always respected you, and I gervwhat you're saying, but I'm not confident this group has it.  I hope I'm wrong, buddy

Thanks, ditto.  I was noticing the recruiting trend (lack of talent) a long time ago and many called me out.  I saw these guys were struggling on juniors.  What they’re doing now is not a shock to me.

Im not confident either.  But I think Bowen , Hoff, yon, etc could carve out 4th/fill in roles.  Hoff may even figure something out by next year.  I strongly doubt we’re going to pull in overagers from the NA (or worse, the SJ) at this point and have have them be more productive.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Thanks, ditto.  I was noticing the recruiting trend (lack of talent) a long time ago and many called me out.  I saw these guys were struggling on juniors.  What they’re doing now is not a shock to me.

Im not confident either.  But I think Bowen , Hoff, yon, etc could carve out 4th/fill in roles.  Hoff may even figure something out by next year.  I strongly doubt we’re going to pull in overagers from the NA (or worse, the SJ) at this point and have have them be more productive.

I agree.  Like I said, I can see shifting scholarship money if you think a guy can help you immediately, but to make the wholesale changes doesn't make sense.  All those guys would need to learn the systems, which is a recipe for a slow start.   I know, I know, the systems might change some anyway, but just familiarity of what to expect in certain arenas and being comfortable in the school and hockey mix all play a factor in a smooth transition to the college level. 

Count me in the group that is against making wholesale changes to the now Senior class, with the time it takes to acclimate to the college game and the time frame in which those you could recruit those extra players, I see it as a huge net negative. 

If I could wave a magic wand, my ideal off season for UND would be as follows. We know of 5 incoming Freshman forwards that have signed, four high caliber, true freshman and one overager, more of a walk on depth guy. There were only 3 Senior forwards on last years roster. My ideal summer with the forward group would be to cut two of the soon to be Senior forwards. There's two guys to me and it's glaring that have a roll that's either not needed or others can do it better. That would equal out the number of forwards leaving and coming in, while maintaining a pretty balanced roster by class. 3 Seniors, 3 Juniors, 4 Sophomores, 5 Freshman. 

On defense, not lose anyone early and replace Shaw with Frisch. I would be against replacing Rieger with Bast, although clearly a positive move talent wise, but I really feel you need the 8th guy as someone who really knows their role. If you replace Bast with Rieger I just don't think there's enough ice time to go around. 

Quick summary would be cutting two soon to be Senior forwards and replacing the other outgoing Seniors with incoming Freshman. 

19 hours ago, Irish said:

Or we could just be happy with our 13% power play and scoring 2 goals or less 19 times and getting swept by a team that plays above a parking garage.

But it was a nice parking garage. Seriously folks, this too shall pass. The most important thing is that look at the recruits coming, next year 3 solid scorers. Jesus, should we blame Jost and Boeser?

Edited by BusinessSiouxt
One more thought...

10 hours ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

But it was a nice parking garage. Seriously folks, this too shall pass. The most important thing is that look at the recruits coming, next year 3 solid scorers. Jesus, should we blame Jost and Boeser?

UND is where "solid scorers" come to die. Remember Chris Wilkie treating the USHL like a playground? 

Problem now is that even if Berry's reputation as an offense killer is unwarranted (this post assumes neither), if you are a young, high scoring forward playing in the USHL, high school, NAHL or Canada, do you come to UND for development?  Perception becomes reality. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, burd said:

Problem now is that even if Berry's reputation as an offense killer is unwarranted (this post assumes neither), if you are a young, high scoring forward playing in the USHL, high school, NAHL or Canada, do you come to UND for development?  Perception becomes reality. 

After two years? Jeebus, I can't believe people think this way. Honestly not saying you, burd, but is there any proof that prospects or people that advise prospects are thinking this way?

25 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

After two years? Jeebus, I can't believe people think this way. Honestly not saying you, burd, but is there any proof that prospects or people that advise prospects are thinking this way?

how long should people wait? they have scored less the last three years running, that may be a trend. Maybe is we score under fifty goals in a season you may admit it could be a problem.

People don't care about shots or possession they car about goals scored.