SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

16 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Not sure this is accurate because you added "with the puck"...  

Actually you're right, I should have added 'between the red and blue lines' because I saw some good games of keep-away out there,  inside the blue line not so much. Good call.

My way too early projected line chart for next year:

Mismash-Rizzo-Kawaguchi

Hain-Senden-Smith

Blaisdell-Hoff-Pinto

Weatherby-Bowen-Caulfield

Poolman-Bast

Kiersted-JBD

Tychonick-Peski

Obviously a lot could change if Poolman leaves, guys transfer, etc. but I thought I'd take a stab at it. Thoughts?

18 minutes ago, SiouxFan25 said:

Mismash-Rizzo-Kawaguchi

Hain-Senden-Smith

Blaisdell-Hoff-Pinto

Poolman-Bast

Kiersted-JBD

Tychonick-Peski

Obviously a lot could change if Poolman leaves, guys transfer, etc. but I thought I'd take a stab at it. Thoughts?

No Adams or Keane ?

36 minutes ago, SiouxFan25 said:

Mismash-Rizzo-Kawaguchi

Hain-Senden-Smith

Blaisdell-Hoff-Pinto

Poolman-Bast

Kiersted-JBD

Tychonick-Peski

Here’s what I have: 

Mismash- Blaisdell- Guch

Adams-Rizzo- Pinto

Smith- Senden-Hain

Keane- Weatherby- Caulfield 

ex: Hoff or Bowen

Defense: draw names out of the hat. 

*i have no idea if they will play both Rizzo and Blaisdell at center. I just know they both played center in their most recent games played.* 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

Here’s what I have: 

Mismash- Blaisdell- Guch

Adams-Rizzo- Pinto

Smith- Senden-Hain

Keane- Weatherby- Caulfield 

ex: Hoff or Bowen

Defense: draw names out of the hat. 

*i have no idea if they will play both Rizzo and Blaisdell at center. I just know they both played center in their most recent games played.* 

I actually like those a lot. I'm really interested to see how the 4 freshman forwards play next year because they're gonna need to play one on the first line and it could honestly be any of them. Maybe not Caulfield, but I think it's a total toss up between the other three. Very close together talent wise 

There could be nights next year where you see four members of the senior class as healthy scratches if the forwards and d men scheduled to come in all show up.

Hoff, Yon, Johnson, Peski, Bowen.  I'd say Smith is probably the only one who has his spot secured.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

There could be nights next year where you see four members of the senior class as healthy scratches if the forwards and d men scheduled to come in all show up.

Hoff, Yon, Johnson, Peski, Bowen.  I'd say Smith is probably the only one who has his spot secured.

Yup, I said it to a friend a few weeks back that I think they’re in trouble if they don’t step up their games. 

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yup, I said it to a friend a few weeks back that I think they’re in trouble if they don’t step up their games. 

Yeah, we will see if B-Rad can make some tough decisions this summer regarding playing time, scholarships, coaches, etc.

• Upvote 1

Unfiltered. Look out; it's going to get ugly. 

If the team were handed to me right now there'd be hard conversations with everyone on the bench during the game (including training staff). That said ... 

Who would for sure be back on that bench next season?
Dr Greek, Mark Poolman,
Kawaguchi, Kierstad, Poolman, JBD, Smith, Senden, Bast, Mismash, Hain, Adams, Tychonick, Peski, Scheel, Thome. 

Who'd have an easy time convincing me to find them a spot?
Weatherby, Keane, Feeney 

Who'd really have to make a big time sell job?
Anyone not listed above. 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Unfiltered. Look out; it's going to get ugly. 

If the team were handed to me right now there'd be hard conversations with everyone on the bench during the game (including training staff). That said ... 

Who would for sure be back on that bench next season?
Dr Greek, Mark Poolman,
Kawaguchi, Kierstad, Poolman, JBD, Smith, Senden, Bast, Mismash, Hain, Adams, Tychonick, Peski, Scheel, Thome. 

Who'd have an easy time convincing me to find them a spot?
Weatherby, Keane, Feeney 

Who'd really have to make a big time sell job?
Anyone not listed above. 

Freeney is the #3 goalie 

A year ago Carter Huber bailed out. 

An emergency June add of Mark Senden was made (brought in a year early) to the roster. Today Mark's tied for fifth in goals scored. 

Mark Senden might be (is?) the best center on the team right now. 

That tells me a lot about Mark Senden. 

But what's it say about the sophomore and junior classes if (unheralded, emergency add) Mark Senden can walk in and establish himself as a guy who will probably take the first faceoff in the fall and is (to my mind) clearly destined for a letter on a jersey sooner than later. 

Jackson has certainly earned his spot for another year but it is possible that the recruiting tandem of Bubbs or Eades feeding into Hak just had nore weight than Jackson and Shaw feeding into Bubbs.

I think Smaby has got more potential as well.

But really, we don't know... we dont know how these guys are viewed around the rinks of western canada and the upper midwest for sure.

I would think that given the state of the progrum... we have become a softer target to recruit against.

Flipped Donovan.

But I see no eartly benefit to holding onto coach Shaw,  in any way shape or form, Results have been pathetic and no amount of spin can change that. 

Maybe we are all completely oblivious like the applogists are ranting but... facts are the UND PP has zero respect  in college hockey, many many many other teams manage to consistently take advantage of the extra man.  

3 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Jackson has certainly earned his spot for another year but it is possible that the recruiting tandem of Bubbs or Eades feeding into Hak just had nore weight than Jackson and Shaw feeding into Bubbs.

I think Smaby has got more potential as well.

But really, we don't know... we dont know how these guys are viewed around the rinks of western canada and the upper midwest for sure.

I would think that given the state of the progrum... we have become a softer target to recruit against.

Flipped Donovan.

But I see no eartly benefit to holding onto coach Shaw,  in any way shape or form, Results have been pathetic and no amount of spin can change that. 

Donovan was gone well before anyone flipped him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Donovan was gone well before anyone flipped him.

Im not so sure about that, you dont think Wisco was in his ear, his HS coach, Sandy?.. 

I have very little doubt that there was a path made available for him before he chose to decommit.

I just can't emphasis how much each early departure truly matters when looking at next years roster (players sign pro contracts). UND losing the most players early over the past 3 years has played a huge part into missing the playoffs two years in a row. I'm in wait and see mode until that all gets worked out. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

I just can't emphasis how much each early departure truly matters when looking at next years roster (players sign pro contracts). UND losing the most players early over the past 3 years has played a huge part into missing the playoffs two years in a row. I'm in wait and see mode until that all gets worked out. 

but hasn't this been the same scenario every year, a first rounder is rare for 3 years, Jost was the only first rounder to leave after 1 year since Belfour...  the turnover is expected, planned for, and not a big problem in the past.  Seems like bringing it up in todays discussion is like throwing something against the wall to see if it sticks. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

but hasn't this been the same scenario every year, a first rounder is rare for 3 years, Jost was the only first rounder to leave after 1 year since Belfour...  the turnover is expected, planned for, and not a big problem in the past.  Seems like bringing it up in todays discussion is like throwing something against the wall to see if it sticks. 

For the most part, you're absolutely correct, my point more is on the emphasis that each player is so important. I'll add Luke Johnson to the list @hky added above. They've definitely kept players that had offers as well, looking to next year I'm looking at a guy like Poolman. IF they can keep a clean slate this summer, I think you'll see it do wonders next year.