SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

I’ve been off-line for awhile. Am I mistaken that Shaw is still employed? Is that not a huge red flag if so? 

Or am I overreacting and we will start seeing changes once the school year is over? The obvious changes, like 2-3 players cut, Shaw gone or at least relieved of his ST duties. Those things have to happen...right...RIGHT?! 

25 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I’ve been off line for awhile. Am I mistaken that Shaw is still employed? Is that not a huge red flag if so? 

Or am I overreacting and we will start seeing changes once the school year is over? The obvious changes, like 2-3 players cut, Shaw gone or at least relieved of his ST duties. Those things have to happen...right...RIGHT?! 

Absolutely no changes so far - I am very doubtful there will be.  Berry is probably our recruiting grinders as we speak.  - I know, but culture.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Irish said:

Absolutely no changes so far - I am very doubtful there will be.  Berry is probably our recruiting grinders as we speak.  - I know, but culture.

You know what’s worse than watching these tournament games and thinking, UND should be here? Watching these games and realizing UND wouldn’t have belonged and has A LOT of work to do. It’s crazy how fast the tables have turned. It’s frustrating watching Denver and UMD flex with the changes and stay at top while UND progressively falls behind. 

25 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

You know what’s worse than watching these tournament games and thinking, UND should be here? Watching these games and realizing UND wouldn’t have belonged and has A LOT of work to do.

I don't know.  We went 2-2 against UMD, and I wouldn't bet against them winning the championship again this year.  We were also pretty evenly matched against DU, and I wouldn't bet against them winning the championship again this year either.  And this in a year in which we admittedly couldn't put the puck in the net and had one of the worst power plays in recent memory.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I don't know.  We went 2-2 against UMD, and I wouldn't bet against them winning the championship again this year.  We were also pretty evenly matched against DU, and I wouldn't bet against them winning the championship again this year either.  And this in a year in which we admittedly couldn't put the puck in the net and had one of the worst power plays in recent memory.

Exactly. And I hate to say it but bad things can happen. Look at SCSU.:blink:

10 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I’ve been off-line for awhile. Am I mistaken that Shaw is still employed? Is that not a huge red flag if so? 

Berry needs to shake the nice guy mentality and make some tough decisions on both coaches and players. I don't see that happening though.

At first Hakstol had problems in the head job. He was used to being "nice uncle" to balance "tough dad" (Dean Blais). 

Now "nice uncle" Berry is having to figure out he's the "tough dad". That means making tough calls that not everyone will enjoy hearing. And Brad better figure that out quick as his 2016 goodwill is almost spent. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

At first Hakstol had problems in the head job. He was used to being "nice uncle" to balance "tough dad" (Dean Blais). 

Now "nice uncle" Berry is having to figure out he's the "tough dad". That means making tough calls that not everyone will enjoy hearing. And Brad better figure that out quick as his 2016 goodwill is almost spent. 

Are you talking about the first year when they went to the national championship game? The next three years they went to the Frozen Four? Or somewhere in the following 7 years where they made the tourney and a few more Frozen Fours?

I know that was a complex questions .... terms like Championship Game, Frozen Four, the tourney are somewhat out of our vocabulary here.

I am joking of course. By yeah, I'm getting really sick of the whole Berry experiment. 2016 was fun, sure. But the past few years have been terrible, and not just bad results, but bad hockey. I have found myself incredibly bored watching most games. Berry is too afraid to be the bad guy. Hak figured out how to get the most out of his players, and it wasn't by being their best friend.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CarpeRemote said:

I’d like to see someone who played relatively recently in the NHL be in charge of the PP. I suppose salary would be an issue. 

This is one of the things about this staff that is totally baffling to me.  It's not like we are trying to develop a unique system that no one has ever seen before - It's a power play for crap's sake.  Hockey coaching 101.  What we put on the ice for our power play was an embarrassment to the sport of hockey and we seemed to double and triple down on it.  Absolutely no excuse, nor is there any excuse for not dealing with the staff member in charge.  This refusal do deal with reality is a big part of why we are where we are. 

• Upvote 1

If you could only pick one option, would you rather see someone new running the Special Teams unit, or see Johnson, Reiger and Yon cut and replaced with new blood? 

I vote for cutting those 3...especially if it meant saving a few recruits from deciding to go elsewhere instead of waiting in the USHL one more season due to the log jam. I understand the D man log jam issue, but if we have any forward recruits walk because of being forced to wait around for guys like Johnson and Yon to graduate I might lose it. 

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Are you talking about the first year when they went to the national championship game? The next three years they went to the Frozen Four? Or somewhere in the following 7 years where they made the tourney and a few more Frozen Fours?

I know that was a complex questions .... terms like Championship Game, Frozen Four, the tourney are somewhat out of our vocabulary here.

Problems come in all shapes and sizes. To keep the vocabulary simple I'll just say ...

Judy's
elevators
lawn mowers

42 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Judy's
elevators
lawn mowers

Those all sound like interesting things to discuss at Regional and FF trips.

If having a few at Judy's leads to bringing lawnmowers up to the roof in an elevator in celebration of our FF run.........

First drinks on me, and im donating the rusty snapper in the shed.

2 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

So no recruiting news, no players being released and or coaches, but they said next year will be different  and if they said it it must be true. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Berry’s going for three misses in a row.

3 strikes and he's out. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

So no recruiting news, no players being released and or coaches, but they said next year will be different  and if they said it it must be true. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Berry’s going for three misses in a row.

You do know how long a process recruiting is, right? Berry was out recruiting all last week. As an example of how long the recruiting process is,  they were recruiting Rizzo for 2 years before he committed. Expecting him to snap his fingers and have a recruit to pull out of the bag is a bit much. 

You also sound like next season is already a lost cause. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

You do know how long a process recruiting is, right? Berry was out recruiting all last week. As an example of how long the recruiting process is,  they were recruiting Rizzo for 2 years before he committed. Expecting him to snap his fingers and have a recruit to pull out of the bag is a bit much. 

You also sound like next season is already a lost cause. 

The current trend for this program is down, down and down some more. If we were a stock, I wouldn't buy it. And if I owned it, I would sell as quickly as possible.

I don't blame people for being frustrated, especially since it looks like Berry is going to Stand Pat with everything.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

The current trend for this program is down, down and down some more. If we were a stock, I wouldn't buy it. And if I owned it, I would sell as quickly as possible.

I don't blame people for being frustrated, especially since it looks like Berry is going to Stand Pat with everything.

It’s one thing to be frustrated, which we all are, but it’s another to essentially give up on the team 6 months before puck is dropped. I was frustrated as all hell this year. But I’m going to wait and see how this next year plays out. I thought we lacked talent up front which was glaringly displayed with a 2.5 goals scored per game and a piss poor PP. I want to see how the new guys fit in first before I go all doom and gloom like everyone else. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, siouxforce19 said:

It’s one thing to be frustrated, which we all are, but it’s another to essentially give up on the team 6 months before puck is dropped. I was frustrated as all hell this year. But I’m going to wait and see how this next year plays out. I thought we lacked talent up front which was glaringly displayed with a 2.5 goals scored per game and a piss poor PP. I want to see how the new guys fit in first before I go all doom and gloom like everyone else. 

The question is, how quickly will the freshmen adjust to the college game and start contributing offensively. The sooner the better.