SiouxSports.com Forum

Pairwise 2018-19

southpaw

On 3/3/2019 at 8:21 AM, fsioux said:

Odds of this happening are pretty much nonexistent.  Miami is not going to sweep WMU and more than likely we split with Omaha.

Disagree.  I think we will dig down and find a sweep at home on senior weekend.  WMU/Miami played two one goal games in January and those were at WMU.  Crazier things have happened.  While probably unlikely, I would say "virtually non-existent" is a big exaggeration.  

• Upvote 2

Yeah, the thing about UND's position in PWR is that they lose all but 1 of the 12 comparisons above them on the sole basis of RPI, with only ~.02 separating them from #8 (UND RPI details). So, their position is very volatile with different game outcomes. It's still possible to climb toward the bubble (e.g. #15-16) with a pair of wins this weekend, but it will also take some luck on other outcomes.

22 minutes ago, jimdahl said:

Yeah, the thing about UND's position in PWR is that they lose all but 1 of the 12 comparisons above them on the sole basis of RPI, with only ~.02 separating them from #8 (UND RPI details). So, their position is very volatile with different game outcomes. It's still possible to climb toward the bubble (e.g. #15-16) with a pair of wins this weekend, but it will also take some luck on other outcomes.

Could you tell us which games are most important so we know who to root for?(besides UND of course)

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Could you tell us which games are most important so we know who to root for?(besides UND of course)

The easiest way is usually rooting for any team we've played against all year with the exception of the ones we are fighting for a bubble spot with.

Generic comment here that I wish they'd use KRACH and not RPI in the calculations of PWR. 

... the RPI can overestimate the strength of a team's schedule if their opponents also played predominantly weak schedules. A rating system which seems, both in theory and in practice, to be immune to this defect, while only considering the factors used in producing the RPI (won-lost-tied records between pairs of teams, without regard to factors such as score or home-ice advantage) is the Bradley-Terry or KRACH rating system. 

http://www.elynah.com/tbrw/2000/rankings.shtml 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Hey, maybe I missed an earlier comment or 2, but has anyone noticed that our RPI would much better if we had swept Cansius? I mean, we'd basically be in at this point. :-D

It would of been much better if we swept the four Froz4's I went to, did nothing for the Hardware Cabinet.
Positive note, we have a chance against good teams! We also have a Hardware Cabinet.

UNH
How bout University of New Hampshire
or as some say - University of No Hardware

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:15 PM, SIOUXELEVENS said:

This team winning 6-7 games in a row is a big stretch. Reality set in after Xmas, this team is not going any where but golfing.

More like laughable even to consider it.

15 hours ago, Big A HG said:

The easiest way is usually rooting for any team we've played against all year with the exception of the ones we are fighting for a bubble spot with.

Exactly right. Most important of those two is the teams we're fighting for bubble spots. UND really needs some of #9-#19 to get out of its way (in that group, only Western can't be flipped on RPI), so cheer against them. UND PWR details

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Quit thinking games ... win ... 

the next period.
the next shift.
the next draw.
the next free puck. 

Do the little things and the big take care of themselves. 

That’s not bad advice.