SiouxSports.com Forum

Pairwise 2018-19

southpaw

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

So should we be rooting for Cornell or Union this weekend?  A Cornell sweep would send Union into the 20s, but would solidify Cornell's spot.

Union. We will jump Union in parwise if we sweep, and also eliminates Cornell at the same time.

38 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

on the topic of one bad weekend- thank God we came back in that anchorage game...they are dead last inbyhe PWR

No kidding. Get this, even if Anchorage had swept UND that weekend, they'd still be last in the pairwise. They're that bad! 

4 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

I guess my issue with coaching staff is not on the parking garage fiasco, although that is a shiny example.   Like you I am upbeat on the incoming class, just as I have been with pretty much all incoming classes.  My concern is what is happening after they get to campus, skills progression, and maturity.  Something is amiss and I don't mind if a few claim the emperor has no clothes.  After all isn't the onus of program success squarely on his shoulders?  I don't recall that I called to Fire Hak, definitely not in earnest.  More likely to poke your bar buddy, gfhockey a bit...  lol.   

What parking garage fiasco? 

5 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Again, I get that. But, it's one weekend. I'm just having trouble equating two wins against a terrible team to us not talking about firing him. 

I think much of it has to do with the smell test since the championship season. Since that season, UND hasn't been the hockey team that most of us are accustomed to. Maybe it's a lack in recruitment, but I have trouble swallowing that argument because many of these recruits were scoring at a pretty solid rate in their junior careers. Because we have such a short window into Berry's ability to develop players we don't have an innate ability to judge whether the player was a miss, or if the offensive deficiency is because of lack of development. Personally, I have a hard time buying that all these guys forgot how to score. I'm curious, if we still have an inability to score next season, will it be player misses, freshman adjustment period, or fall in the lap of the coaches? 

• Upvote 2

A lot of focus has been on Cansius but in truth we lost a lot of games we could have won against good teams. We kost a few against bad teams. We barely beat a few others. Hell we barely beat Manitoba. 

A lot of focus has been on on the forwards, but we've lost a few due to bad defense and/or goaltending. This team started out slow and unlike the Hakstol era, did not do well post January. 

That all being said the season isn't over. They still can get to the tournament despite the struggles. If we fail to do that I'll give him one more year before I join the mob. 

51 minutes ago, snova4 said:

I think much of it has to do with the smell test since the championship season. Since that season, UND hasn't been the hockey team that most of us are accustomed to. Maybe it's a lack in recruitment, but I have trouble swallowing that argument because many of these recruits were scoring at a pretty solid rate in their junior careers. Because we have such a short window into Berry's ability to develop players we don't have an innate ability to judge whether the player was a miss, or if the offensive deficiency is because of lack of development. Personally, I have a hard time buying that all these guys forgot how to score. I'm curious, if we still have an inability to score next season, will it be player misses, freshman adjustment period, or fall in the lap of the coaches? 

The point about the short window seems glaring to me. I don't have an answer when it comes to how long we should wait, I just know I like what I see within the recruiting pipeline and I have no interest in messing with that. With the heralded group coming in, I fully expect us to score more and this class seems to be more heralded than the past two in terms of age and potential draft status. If we don't score next year, I think it's fair to suggest it's coaching, but even then, it's hard to expect them to light the world on fire at a young age in this league. With that said, if we don't see another step in the Soph forwards (Guchi, Mash and Adams, specifically) and the freshmen underperform, I think it'll be fair to question the coaching. 

• Upvote 2

From everything I have read while lurking, I have to say I agree with @stoneySIOUX.  Brad Berry was a defenseman, so as head coach he will naturally tailor a program towards defense. We saw what he was capable of doing with talent. Right now we have a program built around a solid young defensive core right now with several great goalies to back them. We dominate puck possession most games as a result. As others have said our current structure can win games even with terrible offense. This year sucked because of lack of development with our forwards/poor predictable offense, I'm inclined to believe that this is because the talent pool we had available and the league changing, not the coach. With the older forward recruits coming in next year, competing for spots along with the strong core defensive group we have here still developing, I'm pretty confident we will be able to turn this around for next year. If we have forwards that are allowed to produce and also fix our power play back to normal, I'll even go so far as to say we would be the dark horse for a championship. All this should require is a good coach. 

UND administration wants us to maintain a competitive program too and they need a lot of justification to fire someone. I'm sure they realized this year is a down year for offensive ability considering there's no one in the top 50 for scoring on our team this year and our top two goal scorers combined barely break the top 25. Years like this happen occasionally. If we get this class of promising forwards in and virtually nothing changes, then I would say it is fair to hold Berry accountable. Especially if we miss the NCAA playoffs or hosting the NCHC playoffs again (which according to UND loses them an average of $200,000 +). 

• Upvote 1

Two years in a  row being in the bottom of the league In scoring and PP % is a trend and Berry needs to address this. The puck luck and hot goalie excuse is worn out, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insanity. Adams was a scorer in the USHL, Weatherby in the BCHL and Mismash with the USDT. Berry needs to find a system That balances his defensive strategy with an offense that scores more than 1 goal a game. If he has a third year like the last two he may become unemployed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Two years in a  row being in the bottom of the league In scoring and PP % is a trend and Berry needs to address this. The puck luck and hot goalie excuse is worn out, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insanity. Adams was a scorer in the USHL, Weatherby in the BCHL and Mismash with the USDT. Berry needs to find a system That balances his defensive strategy with an offense that scores more than 1 goal a game. If he has a third year like the last two he may become unemployed.

Yeah but his unemployment check will still be more than most of us make in a year.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

How about Bowling Green sitting at 23-9-5 and would be out of the playoffs if they started today.

They have a handful of losses to bottom ten in the PWR teams, not unlike UND losing to Canisius or Minnesota's losses to St Lawrence and Ferris St. So while Bowling Green has beaten some good teams this year, I have to imagine those bad losses are dragging them down a bit.

I agree, though, that it's hard to believe a team with single digit losses out of any conference would be on the bubble.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I can empathize with a lot of your points, but this is college hockey.  You just named three underclassmen.  Yes, each of them should have WAY better numbers and I do believe the vanilla/bland ozone strategy is mind-numbing to watch (as everything flows through the dmen), but they are underclassmen.  In this day and age, if you're only relying on underclassmen to produce you have a colossal team makeup problem.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

This has all been discussed ad nauseam. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I can empathize with a lot of your points, but this is college hockey.  You just named three underclassmen.  Yes, each of them should have WAY better numbers and I do believe the vanilla/bland ozone strategy is mind-numbing to watch (as everything flows through the dmen), but they are underclassmen.  In this day and age, if you're only relying on underclassmen to produce you have a colossal team makeup problem.

Agreed. BC and BU on line one, please.

37 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I’m not blaming the players, they need  to be put into situations where they can be successful. putting out eggs in the incoming freshman pockets doesn’t sound like the recipe for success so we are going to need our juniors to step up their game.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I’m not blaming the players, they need  to be put into situations where they can be successful. putting out eggs in the incoming freshman pockets doesn’t sound like the recipe for success so we are going to need our juniors to step up their game.

….and seniors.  We barely get production from our upperclassmen.  It's pretty nuts.  Poolman is average .5 pts/gm (which is bad considering what he has done and the amount he plays) and Jones averages .75 pt/gm...which is not good considering what he did last year.  No one else is even worth mentioning because their numbers are so far off expectations. The only two players on this entire roster who are probably outpacing their expectation are Kiersted, Smith and Senden.  Everyone else is, statistically, having a bad year.

17 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

statistically you need at least 3 data points to infer a trend...:D

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

….and seniors.  We barely get production from our upperclassmen.  It's pretty nuts.  Poolman is average .5 pts/gm (which is bad considering what he has done and the amount he plays) and Jones averages .75 pt/gm...which is not good considering what he did last year.  No one else is even worth mentioning because their numbers are so far off expectations. The only two players on this entire roster who are probably outpacing their expectation are Kiersted, Smith and Senden.  Everyone else is, statistically, having a bad year.

I don't think half a point per game from Poolman is bad, considering he is a dman and is often out against other teams' top forward lines.  I'd say Jones is where I'd expect him to be, maybe a little off.  Guch is where I'd expect him to be this year.  JBD is where I'd expect him to be.  Agree on Kiersted, Smith and Senden outpacing expectations.  

Rest of the team is below expectations.