SiouxSports.com Forum

Pairwise 2018-19

southpaw

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I get it. I just feel like one weekend should not define a coach. Feels like that puts a lot in to perspective, for me.

The team is one game over .500 against teams in the bottom 30 of the Pairwise.  Sounds like the culture may be lacking right now.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Again, I get that. But, it's one weekend. I'm just having trouble equating two wins against a terrible team to us not talking about firing him. 

If the team was doing really well outside of those 2 games, I'm sure it'd be forgiven.  But this'll be the first senior class to not win 100 games since 2005, even with a 34 win head start their freshman year.  Unless the "puck luck" turns this weekend, they're going to miss by 9 games.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

The team is one game over .500 against teams in the bottom 30 of the Pairwise.  Sounds like the culture may be lacking right now.

Culture may be lacking? Tell me what you mean by this. I honestly think the only thing we're really lacking is forward scoring. That was in full affect in Buffalo and that's why we are talking about where we are this year. Had we swept, I'm having a tough time equating two wins against a poor team as having fans no longer question your job security.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

If the team was doing really well outside of those 2 games, I'm sure it'd be forgiven.  But this'll be the first senior class to not win 100 games since 2005, even with a 34 win head start their freshman year.  Unless the "puck luck" turns this weekend, they're going to miss by 9 games.

They WOULD be doing very well outside of those two games, sitting at No. 8 in the PWR. That's why it's tough, for me. It's two frickin' games and that's so frustrating.

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

They WOULD be doing very well outside of those two games, sitting at No. 8 in the PWR. That's why it's tough, for me. It's two frickin' games and that's so frustrating.

Pairwise yes, actual play on the ice?  Well the defense has been good for the most part.  Credit there.

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

They aren't ready to play every weekend, particularly against opponents perceived as inferior.

That's fair. They have had this MO this year. I totally buy that. Not sure I feel that's on Bubbs though, because then he deserves all the credit when we beat St. Cloud, UMD, WMU, Denver and Mankato.

Just now, 90siouxfan said:

Many have said that we have great defense, does that jive with the amount of leads we have given up this year?   Seems to me there is a laundry list of issues....  hope Stoney is right and we hoist #9 before the Ralph looks like mariucci...

I hope so, too. I hope most don't think that's the road we're headed on, because that's a gross road.

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

That's fair. They have had this MO this year. I totally buy that. Not sure I feel that's on Bubbs though, because then he deserves all the credit when we beat St. Cloud, UMD, WMU, Denver and Mankato.

Getting a team hyped to go against the elites should be easy.  Getting a team hyped to go against the dregs....

• Upvote 2

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

Getting a team hyped to go against the elites should be easy.  Getting a team hyped to go against the dregs....

Fair points.

I'm sticking to my guns with my belief that this incoming forward group is the start that gets us to where we need to be. Subsequent classes only increase it. 

I'm just having trouble, in my mind, pegging two wins (or losses, in this case) against a bad team as to why we are talking about Bubbs' job. That's all.

2 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I am far from a hockey guru but do wonder if Berry is out of his league for lack of Mafia Man wordage....    not all great guys make great coaches, not all great assistant coaches make great head coaches.  Maybe Berry will need to ferment a bit like Sandy....

Could be it, man. Sandy woulda been fired well before his chance to ferment, however, methinks. 

My belief is Berry and crew had about a 1 year championship bender/hangover where a lot of time was spent kissing babies and fundraising.  Recruiting was neglected and we ended up with a fall 2016 freshman class that had 1 star forward (who left after 1 year) and a lot of other forwards who either had been left on the back burner for a while or should've been left there permanently.  The fall 2017 (one second rounder) and 2018 (zero early rounders) freshman classes were also lacking blue chips at forward compared to prior years.  The fall 2019 class is looking very promising and I hope the on-ice results follow.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm just having trouble, in my mind, pegging two wins (or losses, in this case) against a bad team as to why we are talking about Bubbs' job. That's all.

Even with 2 wins against Canisius, we're still on the road for the first round of the conference tourney for the first time in forever.  So the issues do run a little deeper.....

• Upvote 3

I guess my issue with coaching staff is not on the parking garage fiasco, although that is a shiny example.   Like you I am upbeat on the incoming class, just as I have been with pretty much all incoming classes.  My concern is what is happening after they get to campus, skills progression, and maturity.  Something is amiss and I don't mind if a few claim the emperor has no clothes.  After all isn't the onus of program success squarely on his shoulders?  I don't recall that I called to Fire Hak, definitely not in earnest.  More likely to poke your bar buddy, gfhockey a bit...  lol.   

13 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Even with 2 wins against Canisius, we're still on the road for the first round of the conference tourney for the first time in forever.  So the issues do run a little deeper.....

I wouldn't care very much about being on the road for the playoffs if we're sitting at No. 8 in the PWR and that's the god's honest truth.

• Upvote 2

Where was Minnesota pairwise last year before losing in the first round of their playoffs? How many pitchforks and torches would come out if UND was #8 in pairwise going into conference tourny and didn't make the playoffs? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I guess my issue with coaching staff is not on the parking garage fiasco, although that is a shiny example.   Like you I am upbeat on the incoming class, just as I have been with pretty much all incoming classes.  My concern is what is happening after they get to campus, skills progression, and maturity.  Something is amiss and I don't mind if a few claim the emperor has no clothes.  After all isn't the onus of program success squarely on his shoulders?  I don't recall that I called to Fire Hak, definitely not in earnest.  More likely to poke your bar buddy, gfhockey a bit...  lol.   

Hahaha my bar buddy :) ...

You're right and that's a fair point. I think the group of forwards he's bringing in next year is the most heralded. We'll see what he can do with them. With the pieces we do have, a great d-corps and excellent goaltending, I guess I'm present in this year, but keeping eyes forward.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Again, I get that. But, it's one weekend. I'm just having trouble equating two wins against a terrible team to us not talking about firing him. 

And one weekend puts this team on the far outside looking in at the NCAA.

Well 2 missed NCAAs will heat things up for sure.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

And one weekend puts this team on the far outside looking in at the NCAA.

Well 2 missed NCAAs will heat things up for sure.

Yeah, I don't agree with the discussion as a collective, but I get it, I guess. I don't think the discussion is happening if we took care of Canisus. That's why I'm having a tough time with it.

If one bad weekend against a team completely sinks your tourney aspirations, that IS how a coach will be measured. Gotta have the team READY and FIRED UP for EVERY game, I don't care if it's a 500 seat arena. It's near the top of a coaches job list.

That's what SCSU has. They come out with major hustle for every game. Hustle is infectious and leads to opportunities. We need more of that.

• Upvote 2

Bottom line is this team is capable of beating anybody and losing to anybody.  Play .500 hockey against 1 seeds.  

Go winless against Canisius and Bemidji 

on the topic of one bad weekend- thank God we came back in that anchorage game...they are dead last inbyhe PWR

• Upvote 1

Don’t know if Barry has that It factor to motivate and coach.

i don’t know what players think of him, from what I see we have lacked the leadership from players to get other players going.

• Upvote 2