Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
southpaw

Pairwise 2018-19

Recommended Posts

Unfortunately Notre Dame, Bowling Green, and Union all swept this weekend too. We're at 18 heading into the nchc tourney. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So....if UND:

-Wins two of three at Denver.

-Wins one of two at NCHC FF.  Preferably over SCSU or Duluth......

Would it be possible to be in an at large position????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

So....if UND:

-Wins two of three at Denver.

-Wins one of two at NCHC FF.  Preferably over SCSU or Duluth......

Would it be possible to be in an at large position????

I believe what I heard was if we win in 2 (not 3) next weekend it’s possible....( and of course 1 at the X)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I can't imagine this team doing in 2 games what it has the option to do in 3. Hopefully they prove me wrong. 

This is the most applicable, and concise description of the team and season that has been written.

Perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the weekly "what if...."

UND would be #8 and would need 1 win this weekend to essentially guarantee itself a playoff spot.... if they had swept Canisius. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I believe what I heard was if we win in 2 (not 3) next weekend it’s possible....( and of course 1 at the X)

That was against WMU though Denver is much higher in the PW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With no other results entered, winning 2 of 3 at Denver gets us to 15. So I'd say it is "possible" to get an at large spot by winning 3 of the next 5, but we'd need help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe it, but I am actually rooting for the Gophers and former Gopher (Grant Potulny) this coming weekend...We want to see Bowling Green and the Golden Domers drop in RPI...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Can't believe it, but I am actually rooting for the Gophers and former Gopher (Grant Potulny) this coming weekend...We want to see Bowling Green and the Golden Domers drop in RPI...

Desperate times.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Desperate times.

We need to win and may be able to get by with a second day loss in TC, and yet it won't matter if the few teams just ahead of us in the PairWise keep winning.

Then our last scenario would be to win the NCHC tourney for the auto bid.

 

For a seed we have to move up a minimum of 3 spots in the PairWise in next 2 weekends, and that is if no teams below 15th win their conference tourney other than in the Atlantic Conference which will get an non-ranked auto seed. 

If we lose two in Denver, we are toast.

If we lose one in Denver we have to sweep the Frozen Faceoff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are scenarios where we get in with a sweep at Denver and no wins in St Paul. There are scenarios where we get in by winning 3 of the next 5. There's still a lot of play on the pairwise bubble. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweeping DU coupled with Bowling Green and Notre Dame losses should move us up to 15 heading into St Paul...catching Harvard will be harder...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Not going to happen where the 3 teams immediately above us in the Pairwise lose the rest of their games and no team below us jumps us if we lose 3 out of 5, along with no other non-ranked teams winning their conferences except Atlantic.  Please don't let our players know this, you remember your post 11 posts back?

If we lose 3 of 5 we're done. I'll make sure not to mention it in my conversations with players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

Can't believe it, but I am actually rooting for the Gophers and former Gopher (Grant Potulny) this coming weekend...We want to see Bowling Green and the Golden Domers drop in RPI...

2vp1ne.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think everyone is correct, the number is one, that's the number of losses UND has over the next two possible weekends for a shot at an at large birth. If the Denver series goes to three games (and they win of course), then it'll take the NCHC tournament championship and the autobid. It'll be a fun weekend of following games, there's just so many things that can alter the conversation night to night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple additional thoughts on UND... UND's PWR position has a couple interesting deviations from following RPI--because we're already winning the comparison against Union, we can't climb a spot by flipping that (UND is below Union in the rankings because we lose the comparison to Canisius, which we can't reverse). So, the three comparisons actually in play are Bowling Green, Notre Dame, and Denver (which UND would flip by winning 2, but not if it takes 3 games!) The path to #15 this weekend is pretty much what everyone else said, I just thought the "why" might interest some.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, jimdahl said:

A couple additional thoughts on UND... UND's PWR position has a couple interesting deviations from following RPI--because we're already winning the comparison against Union, we can't climb a spot by flipping that (UND is below Union in the rankings because we lose the comparison to Canisius, which we can't reverse). So, the three comparisons actually in play are Bowling Green, Notre Dame, and Denver (which UND would flip by winning 2, but not if it takes 3 games!) The path to #15 this weekend is pretty much what everyone else said, I just thought the "why" might interest some.

So should we be rooting for Cornell or Union this weekend?  A Cornell sweep would send Union into the 20s, but would solidify Cornell's spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there's a few scenarios that could get us as high as 13 going into St Paul even if it takes 3 games to beat Denver.  Bowling Green and Notre Dame obviously have to lose.  CC beats Western in 2 or 3 and Dartmouth takes at least a game from Harvard and it looks like we can get to 13.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 9:05 AM, UNDBIZ said:

In the weekly "what if...."

UND would be #8 and would need 1 win this weekend to essentially guarantee itself a playoff spot.... if they had swept Canisius. 

Had they swept Canisius, would the "fire Bubbs" argument be around? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Had they swept Canisius, would the "fire Bubbs" argument be around? 

I'm sure there would be flare-ups, as it was with Hak, but I doubt people are as upset if we're #8.  Unfortunately they got swept by Canisius, which is an embarrassment to the program.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Had they swept Canisius, would the "fire Bubbs" argument be around? 

But in the real world we got swept

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'm sure there would be flare-ups, as it was with Hak, but I doubt people are as upset if we're #8.  Unfortunately they got swept by Canisius, which is an embarrassment to the program.

I get it. I just feel like one weekend should not define a coach. Feels like that puts a lot in to perspective, for me.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...