SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 FB Recruiting

UNDBIZ

19 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

If he can play, good student, leader, great kid you don’t let pride limit your chances for success. 

We need to start valuing the program. Bubba Bucks devalued the program. Letting a kid flip in recruiting and then ask him to come back? Hell no. No player is above the program. He had his chance and left us out to dry very late in the game. We can’t allow ourselves to be that desperate looking. Perception is huge in recruiting.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We need to start valuing the program. Bubba Bucks devalued the program. Letting a kid flip in recruiting and then ask him to come back? Hell no. No player is above the program. He had his chance and left us out to dry very late in the game. We can’t allow ourselves to be that desperate looking. Perception is huge in recruiting.

Exactly...

“Second Chance U”??? No thanks. 

22 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

So if Gollaway had regretted leaving we wouldn’t have welcomed him back?

If you let players put themselves above the program you have a problem on your hands. See the Mussman teams as example of what happens when a good portion of the roster thinks they’re above the program, that the program is lucky to have them. It should be the other way around. In other words, no.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

If you let players put themselves above the program you have a problem on your hands. See the Mussman teams as example of what happens when a good portion of the roster thinks they’re above the program, that the program is lucky to have them. It should be the other way around. In other words, no.

I think one player was given two more chances after he left and that didn’t end well for anyone 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Don’t know so much about other years but this bad karma has to stop... fresh, young enthusiastic recruits and then there is a disconnect.... our national award winning band director (with 190kids in band) told me “Kids will handle discipline if it is fair. Unfair then there is no discipline.” He suspended his own kids when he got caught smoking...

We need some firmness and someone to establish a level of the limbo bar... for all players. That should include discipline for cocky behavior.... is there a bouncer in our coaching staff???. 

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

I certainly value the program, but I’m not going to get bent out of shape over a high school kid changing his mind. After watching the lack of development of QB’s Under Rudolph, who could blame the kid for changing his mind. I don’t think we have the luxury of not going after best kids available.  Ohio State and Oklahoma seemingly would disagree with you. So would most college coaches. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I certainly value the program, but I’m not going to get bent out of shape over a high school kid changing his mind. After watching the lack of development of QB’s Under Rudolph, who could blame the kid for changing his mind. I don’t think we have the luxury of not going after best kids available.  Ohio State and Oklahoma seemingly would disagree with you. So would most college coaches. 

Great point about OSU and OK. 
Heisman QBs won in the last few years at schools they transferred to. Burrow at LSU started his career at OSU and is the likely winner this year.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, shep said:

Heisman QBs won in the last few years at schools they transferred to. Burrow at LSU started his career at OSU and is the likely winner this year.

Yup kids just want a chance to play and contribute. The program isn’t devalued by transfers. How many times has a kid taken an FBS PWO and we comment that we hope that if it doesn’t work out he ends up here. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, shep said:

This isn’t about a typical transfer... we’ve taken plenty of transfers over the last 6 years (JJ, Kett, Zimmerman & many others). 
This particular scenario is a kid that decommitted from UND three days before signing day....

Totally different situations. Mayfield, Murray, Fields & Burrows never backed out of commitments to the teams they ended up transferring to. 

All hypothetical at this point anyways... 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Westside said:

This isn’t about a typical transfer... we’ve taken plenty of transfers over the last 6 years (JJ, Kett, Zimmerman & many others). 
This particular scenario is a kid that decommitted from UND three days before signing day....

Totally different situations. Mayfield, Murray, Fields & Burrows never backed out of commitments to the teams they ended up transferring to. 

All hypothetical at this point anyways... 

Pretty sure he was only offered a FBS scholarship four days before signing day. This is a hypothetical conversation that isn't worth the time. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shep said:

Are OSU OK and/or LSU struggling to regain a positive perception of their programs? Did the transfer qbs they now start decommit the week of signing day? Your argument is not valid as it is missing some key variables. Apples and oranges if you ask me.