SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 FB Recruiting

UNDBIZ

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

I really don't think you are in the best position to be making this statement, as you had a lot of negatives after the Davis win.  And you have said a number of times how we don't have DI players on our roster.  We must have the best coaching staff in the FCS then because we are going to be over .500 this year and  in the hunt for playoffs with a roster full of DII players.  And speaking focusing on negatives, that seems to be one of your favorite things to do at times.....and repeat and repeat....even though many of us actually agree that there are many things that need to be improved upon. .  You have had many positive posts this year too though, which is great to see.  Let's beat Idaho State and keep the momentum going. 

I wouldn’t say my comments were unfounded negatives. They were, from my perspective, real negatives. After every game - win or lose - there will be good and bad. As you say, I also identify positives. I try to be comprehensive if you look at all posts. 

If people want to only focus on my posts that identify the negatives, that’s their issue and bias. They need to look at the big picture. 

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Does there though?

No numbers to show.

But, when I think of QBs that can make all the throws, MOST are 6’2” or taller. There are certainly exceptions. Especially now with the spread systems that emphasize horizontal throws as much if not more than vertical throws. 

In the pros, everyone points out Drew Brees. Now there are players like Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield, which are spread Oklahoma players and don’t necessarily make “all” the throws like traditional pro style QBs had to. 

NDSU with Carson Wentz at 6’6” was very impressive to watch throw, including (unfortunatley) versus UND. The physics of long arms with good mechanics and footwork yields some impressive throws. 

In Freund’s system, having a QB who can run and make the throws sideline to sideline (bubbles, swings, etc.) is probably most important. I think Schuster can do this. I hope Neal can do it even better. Ketteringham, at 6’4”, was well endorsed this fall as the starter due to his ability to make all the throws (arm talent).

26 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

No numbers to show.

But, when I think of QBs that can make all the throws, MOST are 6’2” or taller. There are certainly exceptions. Especially now with the spread systems that emphasize horizontal throws as much if not more than vertical throws. 

In the pros, everyone points out Drew Brees. Now there are players like Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield, which are spread Oklahoma players and don’t necessarily make “all” the throws like traditional pro style QBs had to. 

NDSU with Carson Wentz at 6’6” was very impressive to watch throw, including (unfortunatley) versus UND. The physics of long arms with good mechanics and footwork yields some impressive throws. 

In Freund’s system, having a QB who can run and make the throws sideline to sideline (bubbles, swings, etc.) is probably most important. I think Schuster can do this. I hope Neal can do it even better. Ketteringham, at 6’4”, was well endorsed this fall as the starter due to his ability to make all the throws (arm talent).

Brees has a squirt gun for an arm, accurate as anyone ever though. I guess it depends on what you mean by arm talent. Power is only one component and not the most important one.

The big reason for most schools recruiting taller QB's isn't necessarily due to the arm but the ability to see and throw over offensive lines that average 6'5+. Arm angle on release for a 6'6 qb is harder to block than a 6' qb. 

To me though, at this level and since we aren't P5 picking and choosing the best of the best, I'd rather take players that are undersized but have skill that bigger schools are overlooking. Some of the best "small school" finds are players that were considered undersized but have the ability to overcome and make a splash. Recent history look at Santiago and his stiff arm his first couple years, you'd think a guy that size couldn't put a linebacker in his place with a stiff arm but he had the skill/strength to make up for his size. Dressler was a smaller guy but I'd take him over any receiver we have on our roster currently. Size doesn't always mean a better player.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Feff said:

The big reason for most schools recruiting taller QB's isn't necessarily due to the arm but the ability to see and throw over offensive lines that average 6'5+. Arm angle on release for a 6'6 qb is harder to block than a 6' qb. 

To me though, at this level and since we aren't P5 picking and choosing the best of the best, I'd rather take players that are undersized but have skill that bigger schools are overlooking. Some of the best "small school" finds are players that were considered undersized but have the ability to overcome and make a splash. Recent history look at Santiago and his stiff arm his first couple years, you'd think a guy that size couldn't put a linebacker in his place with a stiff arm but he had the skill/strength to make up for his size. Dressler was a smaller guy but I'd take him over any receiver we have on our roster currently. Size doesn't always mean a better player.

Height is becoming less of a requirement for qbs with the way offenses are evolving. You still see a guy like Murray getting more balls batted than Brady obviously for the reasons you stated above but the classic drop back qb hanging in the pocket is becoming more rare, even in the nfl.

4 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So what is still the biggest need in this class?  A few burners at the skill positions?  Kicker? Lineman?

Not sure where we sit scholarship wise but just looking at what we have verballed and what we need more of I’d say we need: another NG, a DE, 2 more QBs, a taller safety, a CB, a blazing fast wr taller than 5’6”, and an H back.

55 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Nice 

What should we expect from Wright? Obviously the kid is a stud at the 8-man level but how does that transition to 11-man? I watched some of his tape yesterday and he just ran by everyone once he got the ball. Let’s hope it translates!

16 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

What should we expect from Wright? Obviously the kid is a stud at the 8-man level but how does that transition to 11-man? I watched some of his tape yesterday and he just ran by everyone once he got the ball. Let’s hope it translates!

Going from 8 man to 11 man shouldn't be a huge change when it comes to WR. Less field to work with but route trees should be the same. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Seems like he can ball. Tape is pretty good. Attacks the ball.

On 9/10/2019 at 9:55 AM, UNDBIZ said:

6'1" 270# NT with offers from SIU, EKU, and UTM.

Mathiasen has committed to a smaller school, Olivet Nazarene University.  He is going into Pastoral Ministries.  If that's his calling, can't blame him for taking that school up on their offer.

On 10/11/2019 at 1:02 PM, geaux_sioux said:

Seems like he can ball. Tape is pretty good. Attacks the ball.

I think he would be a great slot guy if you had someone that could stretch the field. He looks an awful lot like some of the guys you already have in the program. You don't have a  lot of guys that have the speed to separate, and I am not sure Wright is the guy that can do that either.

10 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

I think he would be a great slot guy if you had someone that could stretch the field. He looks an awful lot like some of the guys you already have in the program. You don't have a  lot of guys that have the speed to separate, and I am not sure Wright is the guy that can do that either.

You’re preaching to the choir. 

On 10/15/2019 at 1:31 PM, MoSiouxFan said:

If we can reel them all in, this is shaping up to be a very good looking recruiting class.

While I certainly hope you are correct, this recruiting class (similar to the last couple) appear to be quite average.  We aren't getting many commitments from prospects that were highly recruited by other FCS teams.

26 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

While I certainly hope you are correct, this recruiting class (similar to the last couple) appear to be quite average.  We aren't getting many commitments from prospects that were highly recruited by other FCS teams.

Unfortunate truth throughout Bubba Schweigert regime.

14 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

DL RB Isaiah Thompson done for season with ACL.  2 time state wrestling champion will also miss wrestling. 

After seeing him run for probably something like 600 yards against our high school team on less than 40 total carries over the past 4 years, this sucks to see. I’ve thought for a couple years he would look great in Kelly green. I’d still take a chance on him. 

• Upvote 1

He is a special player. Unfortunately he ended up at Essentia and he isn’t having surgery til last week of November. He said he was told that was first opening. Sanford could have operated on him this week or next week allowing him a decent chance to be back in time for college report next fall. Big difference in focus on Sports Med. Hopefully he will still get scholarship opportunities.