SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 FB Recruiting

UNDBIZ

10 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

The article said he has been in contact with some D1 teams but didn’t see any offers. 

It sounds like he blasted his tape off to a lot of D1 schools and Bubba was the only coach to contact him. Was this kid at any camps over the summer? 

• Downvote 2

30 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

It sounds like he blasted his tape off to a lot of D1 schools and Bubba was the only coach to contact him. Was this kid at any camps over the summer? 

We may be the only team to offer him a scholarship but the article clearly states he’s been in contact with teams from the B1G, MAC and FCS schools. 

31 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Nowhere does it say that UND was the only school to contact him, it just said they emailed him back after he sent out his tape to multiple schools. In fact, the article lists multiple schools that have been in contact with him to at least reach out. Don't let facts get in the way of what you're implying though. But thank you for your continued interest in UND athletics.

15 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

All in all, Danny Freund has the QB room going the right direction with Schuster and Neal. Prior to Schuster commit this last class, UND under direction of Paul Rudolph was not recruiting the QB position well. There were years they would get no scholarship quarterbacks which is baffling to me. I love how Danny Freund is now emphasizing the QB position in both recruiting and with the offensive philosophy. It will pay dividends for UND. Great teams typically have good to great QB play. 

The QB recruiting left plenty to be desired, but if Cedric Case doesn't de-commit at the last minute, it is a different story. He committed under Rudolph and de-committed after he was let go, so tough to pin that one on him.

15 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Neal - Athletic QB with size (6’2”) and has the blood lines (brother starts at Vanderbilt of the SEC). Plays against relatively good competition in Indiana. Schuster and Boltmann are a bit on the smaller side and haven’t shown anything to convince me they can throw deep balls (40+ yards) very well. 

Schuster had no DI offers and is a small kid, but he has the intangibles as demonstated in the win versus Sam Houston State. He was a great high school QB in the state of Michigan and his poise was on display vs SHSU.  

Boltmann also limited offers out of high school but very athletic. Just a bit on the smaller side. Turns out his arm talent was lacking but has great wheels which makes him such a great weapon currently at wide out and wildcat QB. 

All in all, Danny Freund has the QB room going the right direction with Schuster and Neal. Prior to Schuster commit this last class, UND under direction of Paul Rudolph was not recruiting the QB position well. There were years they would get no scholarship quarterbacks which is baffling to me. I love how Danny Freund is now emphasizing the QB position in both recruiting and with the offensive philosophy. It will pay dividends for UND. Great teams typically have good to great QB play. 

So Neal at 6'2" 170# has size, but Boltmann at 6'2" 210# is just a bit on the smaller side.

Your reasoning makes little to no sense, but I am glad you are optimistic about something for once.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

The QB recruiting left plenty to be desired, but if Cedric Case doesn't de-commit at the last minute, it is a different story. He committed under Rudolph and de-committed after he was let go, so tough to pin that one on him.

Yeah, and also, under Rudolph in 2016, UND only had 1 QB in the class which was PWO Ben Bolinske. How did that work out?

Brock Boltmann the next season and Noah  Grover the next also did not work out for the QB group. Plenty of misses under Rudolph’s direction. 

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

So Neal at 6'2" 170# has size, but Boltmann at 6'2" 210# is just a bit on the smaller side.

Your reasoning makes little to no sense, but I am glad you are optimistic about something for once.

You think Boltmann is 6’2”? Good one. He has potential as a very good skill player. 

Thanks for your insight. Again, you offered nothing in your post other than unwarranted criticism. Thank God you aren’t leading anything at UND, and if you are, I have identified an additional source of issues. 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yeah, and also, under Rudolph in 2016, UND only had 1 QB in the class which was PWO Ben Bolinske. How did that work out?

Brock Boltmann the next season and Noah  Grover the next also did not work out for the QB group. Plenty of misses under Rudolph’s direction.

Did you bother reading the literal first sentence of what I wrote? It literally stated overall it left a lot to be desired. Just pointed out that they had a last minute decommit from a "big-time" QB recruit we've all been waiting for.

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Did you bother reading the literal first sentence of what I wrote? It literally stated overall it left a lot to be desired.

And then you made a statement of how things were close to being so different. Everyone is really confrontational with their posts today, and as such, they get confrontational returns. Look in the mirror.

Have a good day. Go UND

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You think Boltmann is 6’2”? Good one. He has potential as a very good skill player. 

Thanks for your insight. Again, you offered nothing in your post other than unwarranted criticism. Thank God you aren’t leading anything at UND, and if you are, I have identified an additional source of issues. 

Feisty one. 

Boltmann is listed at 6'2" on the roster.  Neal lists himself as 6'2".  One is likely as valid as the other.

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

No way in hell he’s a legit 6’2”. Kinda like Tank was listed at 6’3”

I believe you. And right now we have no reason to believe Neal is 6'2" either.

I'm happy we got the commit and I look forward to seeing Neal in the Alerus on Saturdays. I just felt the need to call out someone who constantly craps on all our current players. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'm happy we got the commit and I look forward to seeing Neal in the Alerus on Saturdays. I just felt the need to call out someone who constantly craps on all our current players. 

Tough to tell how tall a guy really is based on Hs film. Elijah Beach drunk 2” when he got to campus. Ogbu shrunk 4” when he got to NDSU.

I want the best players we can who are willing to come to grand forks

mr obvious here

this is a tricky process - aim too high and you lose good players that aren’t rated as high 

as I crawl back to my office where I don’t have to figure out how good these 17 year olds are going to be when they are twenty

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Crap on our current players? This all because I stated Neal is a real QB prospect?

You won’t call a spade a spade. I don’t only stare at the roster and look at what’s on paper. I look at the game film and, most importantly, in-person evaluate if able. 

You are criticizing me for making a bold statement while you don’t stick your neck out at all.  I merely mentioned that Neal is a “real” QB prospect and that apparently triggered you. A bit strange and uncalled for, in my opinion.

Ketteringham was not a HS recruit for UND . Boltmann is not in the future plans at QB. Schuster looked good vs Sam Houston State but is small for the position and not sure on long term projections for him. Really, other than Schuster and Keaton Studsrud, Bubba hasn’t had much for HS scholarship QBs. I feel Neal could be different as UND has secured his commitment early in the cycle and he plays well against good HS competition. 

I shouldn’t have to explain myself to someone sensitive about my on-field, non-personal player critiques. But, oh well; apparently @UNDBIZ felt the need to distract from UND’s recent successes (getting a QB commit, recent win vs UC Davis, upcoming big game vs Idaho State) and focus on unfounded negativities. Really a shame. And, again, the only reason I’m expanding on this is because you’re incorrectly calling me out and then boasting about it to other posters. How big that must make you feel, Mr. Moderator. Ridiculous.

I’m evaluating the players on the field, not the kids. If you can’t understand that, then that’s your loss. 

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

We lost our edge in the early 1980’s recruiting players they looked good on paper.  Why does anyone care if these guys are 6’2” or 5’11”?  It doesn’t matter as long as they can play. 

Absolutely, I agree. For the QB position, though, there tends to be a correlation with height and arm talent. There are always exceptions, of course. That is really my only argument there.

Otherwise I completely agree; it’s about what the student-athlete can ultimately do on the field and not what they look like on paper.

16 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I shouldn’t have to explain myself to someone sensitive about my on-field, non-personal player critiques. But, oh well; apparently @UNDBIZ felt the need to distract from UND’s recent successes (getting a QB commit, recent win vs UC Davis, upcoming big game vs Idaho State) and focus on unfounded negativities. 

I really don't think you are in the best position to be making this statement, as you had a lot of negatives after the Davis win.  And you have said a number of times how we don't have DI players on our roster.  We must have the best coaching staff in the FCS then because we are going to be over .500 this year and  in the hunt for playoffs with a roster full of DII players.  And speaking focusing on negatives, that seems to be one of your favorite things to do at times.....and repeat and repeat....even though many of us actually agree that there are many things that need to be improved upon. .  You have had many positive posts this year too though, which is great to see.  Let's beat Idaho State and keep the momentum going. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Absolutely, I agree. For the QB position, though, there tends to be a correlation with height and arm talent. There are always exceptions, of course. That is really my only argument there.

Otherwise I completely agree; it’s about what the student-athlete can ultimately do on the field and not what they look like on paper.

Does there though?